PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for New Riders and us old Pros

buck1234
08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I was sitting having a cigar looking at my spyder and thought of the small mods I have made and saw that it was good. The first thing was filling the handlebars with #4 or AAA size split shot fishing weights. The difference in the vibration not getting to your hands and wrists is fantistic.
Replacing the OEM sway bar with the aftermarket once again fantastic. Bumping up the stock front shocks to their highest setting, aces.
Upgrading to your choice of rider pegs is a good move. I went with a wider platform with the Kuryakin brand for my big boots. I've had a lot less arch ache after long rides or aggresive cornering.

Having come from a touring bike backround I had the Heliriser installed when I bought my Spyder. It gets your stock handlebars up 4" and back 5" really very comfortable and gets you up into a upright riding position. I read of a fellow that went on a couple thousand mile ride and opted to sell his new bike when he got home. I wish he had just put the Heliriser on. Oh well.
Getting some retro reflective tape (the shiny stuff that glows in headlights at night, the stuff on a police car fire engines) Tastefully on the rear and sides of the bike.
Because of my touring backround a Hi Viz jacket and or pants could save you a world of hurt, people really can see that bright geen/yellow when other dark colors just don't register. Especialy in overcast and rainy weather.

Windshields are a definate upgrade. I've found an effective trick to get the perfect height for those riders that slouch slightly during normal riding. When you are at your most comfortable normal riding position draw an imaginary line from your mouth straight ahead parrallel to the ground. This should be your optimum height, sit up straight and you get that nice breeze over the top. Relax and it blows over, this height for some reason pushes bugs and rain over the top. I've yet to get one bug in my teeth or face and very very few rain drops.

I hope my missive has something positive for my friends on 3 Wheels.

Buck1234 :2thumbs: :yes:

canam9
08-08-2010, 11:12 PM
:2thumbs: :ani29:

Raptor
08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
:2thumbs: :ani29:

:agree: +1. All great points. The voice of experience is well received around here! Of course, Being ther maniac that I am I wll not implement many of these peals of wisdom right away. I'm still in that " need for speed" mode! The sway bar amd shock tweak was the best thing I have done so far I think. I'll get the shocks swapped eventually but I will need to save some serious coin first. Those babies are expensive. Pegs too. I will definitely do pegs at some point as well. :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
08-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Glad to hear you found the set of mods that works just the way you need them to. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :thumbup:

retread
08-09-2010, 06:30 AM
:agree: +1. All great points. The voice of experience is well received around here! Of course, Being ther maniac that I am I wll not implement many of these peals of wisdom right away. I'm still in that " need for speed" mode! The sway bar amd shock tweak was the best thing I have done so far I think. I'll get the shocks swapped eventually but I will need to save some serious coin first. Those babies are expensive. Pegs too. I will definitely do pegs at some point as well. :thumbup:
Try the RT front shocks, about 250 for the pair, not Penske or Elke, but a lot better than stock.

john