PDA

View Full Version : My Custom Built Exhaust

Eddie
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
How many folks noticed I have changed up on my sig. picture?? That exhaust you see on it. Is a custom I used a cherry Bomb inserted a 1' long baffle with a freeze plug welded in the end going into the muffler. Then I took a chrome cover off a vtx1800 stock exh. and put it together.
SOUNDS GREAT!!!! Also because I kept the back pressure it RUNS GREAT :yes:
The only thing I have left to do is build a chrome hanger to take the place of the steel strap i am currently using. :D Total cost of my exhaust was $30.** for the cherry Bomb , Had the old stock exhaust with the chrome I needed laying around as I did the baffles and $1.00 for the freeze plug $31.*** and a little time is all I have invested. Now if I would not have had the other stuff laying around. I bet I could have still picked most of what I needed up for around a $100.** so either way its a cheap mod compared to what they are selling the after market mufflers for.:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
08-09-2010, 06:02 AM
:congrats:

The pictures are nice, but now it is time for a video to let us all hear how it actually sounds. :D

Eddie
08-09-2010, 11:09 AM
:congrats:

The pictures are nice, but now it is time for a video to let us all hear how it actually sounds. :D

I will work on that. I have never done that before but' I will try it off my cell phone and download to you tube.If I can

Eddie
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9V9wXoGUsk

Red Recluse
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Looks and sounds great!:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
08-09-2010, 06:50 PM
:2thumbs:

That sucker sounds mean! I like it a lot! Have you had any problems when ryding your Spyder with this installed?

Might you be willing to make another one? :D

Eddie
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
:2thumbs:

That sucker sounds mean! I like it a lot! Have you had any problems when ryding your Spyder with this installed?

Might you be willing to make another one? :D

It has give me NO problems as of yet. I still need to take it up and have the J.B. set to the dyno. Really all you need to do is find some junk exhaust off of a cruiser. Get the chrome covers off of the Mufflers. Mine came off of a stock 2007 VTX 1800N model exhaust. Pick up a cheap cherry bomb at your local auto parts store. Mine came from Oreilly Auto Parts. Get you an open baffle some place and install a car freeze plug in one end of it. Put it into the back side of the muffler with the F. Plug going in first. Needs to go in about a foot deep.As far as mounting mine. I cut my stock off and used adapters to put my modded exhaust on. I will have to play with a few before I actually built one for anyone but me. Don't want to mess any one's bike up but ' my own. I really do not think you would even need a J.B. with this mod. because of the back pressure.

SpyderWolf
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I will have to play with a few before I actually built one for anyone but me. Don't want to mess any one's bike up but ' my own.

That makes a lot of sense, much better to be safe than sorry. Since I already have the Hindle, I think I will stick with that. Are you going to be at SitS? I would like to see, and hear, this in person, and do a comparison as well. :thumbup:

Eddie
08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm having a little difficulty picturing this. :hun: I'm sure it will turn into a :duh: moment once I get it but right now I don't. What is the purpose of the freeze plug and how is it being held in. :dontknow:

Good video clip for the sound. :thumbup: Any chance you could do the same thing except with you doing a ride by and somebody else holding the camera/phone to see what it sounds like under street conditions. The video quality not so important it the sound.

I will try to put one of the baffles together to show you what I am talking about in the next day or so. May even try the vid thing if I get a chance :D All the freeze plug is for is to keep some back pressure. I tack welded mine in place.

Roadkill
08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
That looks and sounds great!

I may try a Victory SportCruiser exhaust I've got in the garage.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Eddie
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
That looks and sounds great!

I may try a Victory SportCruiser exhaust I've got in the garage.

Ride on.
Roadkill

There ya go!!! :D Thats how I done it just kept playing until I found what I liked and the spyder ran well with. Anyone that says these Spyders don't have a mind of their own is NUTS!!!!!!! When it comes to exhaust We must compromise. If the Spyder don't like it you won't either !! :D

Eddie
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm having a little difficulty picturing this. :hun: I'm sure it will turn into a :duh: moment once I get it but right now I don't. What is the purpose of the freeze plug and how is it being held in. :dontknow:

Good video clip for the sound. :thumbup: Any chance you could do the same thing except with you doing a ride by and somebody else holding the camera/phone to see what it sounds like under street conditions. The video quality not so important it the sound.

Here is a video of what it sounds like under a load. Sorry about the picture quality its about as good as it gets with my phone.I still havn't got any photos of my baffle yet.But' I'm working on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMgaAk_LsNc

Eddie
08-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry these photos are not better but' its what I got. Hope it works for you. If you notice I have a photo of the freeze plug by it self. That is what you want about a foot or so down into your muffler for the back pressure. Now I used a baffle just like the one I have photoed. You could use just about anything as long as you can get it in far enough and make it stay in the muffler. Hope this helps :D

vtspyder
10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Man that thing sounds crisp and MEAN as all get out! Awesome!:doorag:

ValleySpyder
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
:yes: Yes!!!
Now that sounds like a V-twin!!!
Unlike my Hindle.

krb1945
11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Sounds good. Ken krb1945

spyder-v
11-22-2010, 02:18 PM
im impressed, ive seen guys do this to there harleys and other sports bikes and it just wasnt appealing, is it still running good for you?

SpyderGirl
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM
WOW! Love it! VROOM VROOM!!!

Barbary
12-02-2010, 11:29 PM
:ohyea::ohyea::spyder2::ohyea::ohyea: