PDA

View Full Version : Front tire choices

pierrelogic
08-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I've done a search and there's posts all over the place on tire types to put on the fronts. But some are no longer being made or extremely hard to find (or overly pricey if I'm going to swap them out often).

I'm going to need new tires after only about 8,000 soon myself. Only the right needs replaces due to alignment issue (was fixed a few thousand miles ago but the damage was already done) That's not terrible but far from great. I envy those getting upwards of 27,000 on the OEM Kenda tires. :bowdown:

What are others putting on the fronts besides the Kenda?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Roadkill
08-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Bridgestone Potenzas are working fantastically, for me.

Ride on.
Roadkill

capt.jim
08-08-2010, 08:45 PM
michelin 185-60-14 pilot axalta's

Raptor
08-08-2010, 11:48 PM
michelin 185-60-14 pilot axalta's

Both the Bridgestones and the Michelins are very good choices. I will go 185/60 on the fronts as well. I'm leaning toward Falkens myself so I can go same brand all 'round. Plus they are very sticky!! :D

SpyderGirl
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I want to find something that doesn't require I modify the fenders... of course 26K miles and the originals are still going strong. :D

pierrelogic
08-10-2010, 07:14 AM
I want to find something that doesn't require I modify the fenders... of course 26K miles and the originals are still going strong. :D

Bell curve killer. :D I'm right with you on not modifying the fenders. I do have serious mile envy tho. :roflblack:

I have the Kenda tires on order. Hopefully with the new alignment I'll get a little more than 8K out of the new ones. At least my dealer is on my side about the one tire wearing so fast. Perhaps after they talk with BRP about my situation they can cut me some slack on cost. :dontknow: It was their idea to approach BRP, worth asking about.

I have several other maintenance items that need attn (plugs. oil chg, exhaust gaskets, AAPTS repositioning) but those are lower on the priority list than tires...of course. :D

Hopefully after this weekend I'll have the Spyder back in tip-top shape.

Wheeler~
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I want to find something that doesn't require I modify the fenders...

:agree:

altonk
08-10-2010, 09:58 AM
http://http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+ES100&partnum=86HR4ES100&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&partnum=86HR4RE960PP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Sarge707
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Kinda hard to Knock Success?:D
Kinda like re-inventing the wheel?:yikes:
Of course many people will fix something even if its not broke!:hun: :roflblack:

SpyderGirl
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Kinda hard to Knock Success?:D
Kinda like re-inventing the wheel?:yikes:
Of course many people will fix something even if its not broke!:hun: :roflblack:

I'll probably just another pair of the stock tires, they are working good for me. :2thumbs:

Raptor
08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll probably just another pair of the stock tires, they are working good for me. :2thumbs:

I was not a big fan of having to modify fenders either and the Kendas seem to be wearing very well but they are just too hard for my taste. I have a need for something with more grip, which means a better, softer compound. Ergo, fender mod! It's not a big deal though, it's just a slight adjustment to the brackets to move them over a bit.

In a perfect world I would dump these stock shocks as well, but I can't afford the alternatives right now. One day though, one day the Elka's will be mine... oh yes, they will be mine!! :D

altonk
08-10-2010, 04:00 PM
i modded my fenders.
I moved them to the garage and never looked back.

the wide hankooks with penske shocks and sway bar make the spider a completely different handling machine

bonehead
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
whats the largest tire without fender mods front and rear, you can install:dontknow:

Roadkill
08-10-2010, 06:01 PM

+Direct swap (no mods necessary) for the Bridgestone Potenzas.

Ride on.
Roadkill

effgjamis
08-10-2010, 06:19 PM
+Direct swap (no mods necessary) for the Bridgestone Potenzas.

Ride on.
Roadkill

and that size is ????

SpyderRider
08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I have been using Falken Ziex on my vehicles for years (Current on my Ford F-150 and Olds Intrigue) and they work well. Long wearing, handles water well, and are great in cornering!

Anyone else used them on the Spyder?

Roadkill
08-10-2010, 07:17 PM
+I mounted the Bridgestone Potenzas (P165/65R14 78S for a Honda Fit) on 3/21/10 at ~28k and I only last week "rotated" them at ~38k because I saw a smidgen of inner wear. I'll easily get 20k out of these, if not more.

At the same time this past week I mounted a Falken ZIEX ZE912 225/50R15 91V on the rear. Again, no mods. Can't comment on wear yet, but it does performs similar in feel to the stocker, including burnouts...

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10178.JPG

Ride on.
Roadkill

SpyderWolf
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
The Bridgestone Potenza in stock replacement size look pretty good to me. Thanks for sharing that.

Roadkill
08-10-2010, 08:35 PM
The Bridgestone Potenza in stock replacement size look pretty good to me. Thanks for sharing that.

Here's another view. They do not come RWL btw, that's my minor handiwork. Besides, the blackwalls look great with your paint job.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10169.JPG

Ride on.
Roadkill

SpyderWolf
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Here's another view. They do not come RWL btw, that's my minor handiwork. Besides, the blackwalls look great with your paint job.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10169.JPG

Ride on.
Roadkill

:2thumbs: I may have to see about getting a set of these before SitS. Don't know that my wife will be too terribly happy with that, but what's a guy to do? :dontknow: :D

pierrelogic
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
what is becoming glaringly obvious is there are just not many tires even available in the OEM Kenda size of 165/65/14. Plenty more options for the rear tire.

So the big question is, would putting non OEM Kenda tires on a Spyder cause BRP to consider it enough wiggle room to call it a breech of warranty? I will be sure to ask my dealer this weekend, bank on it. :ohyea:

Anyone else notice how when most (not all) other ryders mention excessive tire wear on the insides of the front they are referring to the front right more often than the left? :popcorn:

SpyderWolf
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
what is becoming glaringly obvious is there are just not many tires even available in the OEM Kenda size of 165/65/14. Plenty more options for the rear tire.

So the big question is, would putting non OEM Kenda tires on a Spyder cause BRP to consider it enough wiggle room to call it a breech of warranty? I will be sure to ask my dealer this weekend, bank on it. :ohyea:

Anyone else notice how when most (not all) other ryders mention excessive tire wear on the insides of the front they are referring to the front right more often than the left? :popcorn:
Interesting you should mention the front right, as that is where my wear is showing as well. Inner section of front right tire.

When I had the dealer install my BFG g Force Sport this past Saturday, they made me sign a waiver because it was not a stock replacement. This is what the waiver said:
----------------------------------
The customer understands that the automotive tire he is supplying:
- Is not recommended by Bombardier as a suitable replacement for the recommended OEM tire.
- Was not designed to function as an integral part of the Bombardier Spyder 3-wheeler.
- May adversely affect the operational safety of his vehicle causing damage to property and injury or death to people.
- Damages attributable to the use of non-recommended tires are not in any way warrantable by the dealership or manufacturer.
- Dealership personnel are not allowed to test drive this vehicl on public roads.
----------------------------------

If it wasn't for other Spyder Lovers already running this tire, and giving it great reviews, this waiver may have made me change my mind about not buying OEM tires. :dontknow:

Raptor
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I believe the widest tire you can put on without actually modifying the fenders is 185/60R-14. It's just a tic off center, but works OK. You'll end up adjusting them anyway!

Raptor
08-10-2010, 11:42 PM

I have noticed that as well. I have not seen that condition in my bikes so far but I do notice that landing the left handers is a pain compared to right handers. I get this bad over-steer condition. That's why I play with the pressures the way I do and run a bit less in the right than the left. It gives me extra bite.

That condition has improved greatly since I put the Evo sway bar on the RS-S. I have one coming for 14 as well. But man, I would LOVE to change out these crappy stock shocks!! Tyres that provide more contact patch and more grip will also help quit a bit. ALTONK, YOU DA MAN!! That's serious rubber up front brother! :D

I would like to know how the wing project is progressing. We can can take that offline if you like!

SpyderWolf
08-12-2010, 05:35 AM
My choice would be the Yokohama AVS ES100. The front would be a 185/60-14 and rear would be the stock size. This would give me matching treads in a "ultra high performance summer" tire. I'm thinking I would leave the stock tires on the stock rims for colder weather and have these mounted on a set of the Phantom rims for warm weather. :D

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_avs_es_100_ci2_l.jpg (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+ES100&sidewall=Blackwall&fromCompare1=yes&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=86HR4ES100)

That is a nice looking tread pattern as well. Since I already put the BFG g Force Sport on the back, I won't be able to have matching fronts.

j45p3r
08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm running the Dunlop Direzza in 185/60-14 on the front of my Spyder. I have the Yoko in stock size on the rear. Very happy with the way these tires handle and look. I only had to bend the left fender back about 3/4" because the support was rubbing the inside of the wider tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/dunlop/du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg

altonk
08-12-2010, 10:49 PM
You tend to apex wider and later in the left because of the oncoming traffic and if the corner is flat and crowned you're off chamber too .
Rights are on the inside

Raptor
08-12-2010, 11:41 PM
You tend to apex wider and later in the left because of the oncoming traffic and if the corner is flat and crowned you're off chamber too .
Rights are on the inside

I was thinking about that very thing dude! The on-coming traffic aspect in particular. It's a subconcious thing with me as I just don't feel comfortable cheating that middle line! Too many guys do that and get hit because eventially the on-comer will cross that line. I'ts partially a technique issue also, but today I got a gift in that a 5 mile stretch of somewhat technical turns on the last part of 84 before you get to the ocean was WIDE OPEN! Some of these are fairly high-speed sweepers and I wanted to try something where I am simply changing lean angles, applying different forces. setting up a little sooner and changing my line just a tad. It's working too! By the time I got to the ocean I was pretty stoked!

Gear selection at the right time was good, staying in the band, all that went really well today. Even slid the rear a little bit and drifted a couple. This has been hard for me to learn but I'm gettin there. It's so cool to be on the gas before you even get to the apex and then literally power out of the corner almost full on! Being smooth helps keep the nanny out of the mix as well!

altonk
08-13-2010, 02:17 AM
The spider with the right mods is as close to a formula car as you can get on the road. It's not a shifter kart but you can drive it to work

truck 85
08-13-2010, 02:32 AM

Yes my left tire is in great shape but my right frount tire is all most wore out and 10000. why any ideas?

SpyderWolf
08-13-2010, 04:50 AM
I was thinking about that very thing dude! The on-coming traffic aspect in particular. It's a subconcious thing with me as I just don't feel comfortable cheating that middle line! Too many guys do that and get hit because eventially the on-comer will cross that line. I'ts partially a technique issue also, but today I got a gift in that a 5 mile stretch of somewhat technical turns on the last part of 84 before you get to the ocean was WIDE OPEN! Some of these are fairly high-speed sweepers and I wanted to try something where I am simply changing lean angles, applying different forces. setting up a little sooner and changing my line just a tad. It's working too! By the time I got to the ocean I was pretty stoked!

Gear selection at the right time was good, staying in the band, all that went really well today. Even slid the rear a little bit and drifted a couple. This has been hard for me to learn but I'm gettin there. It's so cool to be on the gas before you even get to the apex and then literally power out of the corner almost full on! Being smooth helps keep the nanny out of the mix as well!

I have been experimenting with lean angles as well lately, and was surprised to find how much of a difference it really makes when negotiating a sharp curve. I even practiced some on the straights, and can easily change lane positioning without having to turn the bars just by leaning enough. Fun stuff. I still need to get the sway bar someday though. :D

NancysToy
08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Yes my left tire is in great shape but my right frount tire is all most wore out and 10000. why any ideas?
I'd look for bad suspension components on the right side. Worn shock bushings are the most common, but a bad ball joint would do it, or a bad a-frame bushing. Bad tie-rod end could, but it usually affects the handling and the other tire, too.

altonk
08-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I haven't seen any noticeable difference. It is power assist mostly at slow speeds and used in their quads where off road turning forces are much higher so I'm sure it will not accelerate wear
Besides you can be sure dealers know how to replace them by now :roflblack:

altonk
08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
My understanding is asl long as ur mod doesn't cause the problem no worries
I didn't really consider it to be honest

pierrelogic
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Been thinking about this. Scotty's response as always is probably about as accurate as you're going to find.

I did notice something when ryding behind another Spyder (Eric) a few weekends ago. The right side of the Spyder does sit a little lower than the left. This can only be seen when you're far enough back to see through and past the nose of the Spyder in front of you. Also, I find it highly improbably that when ryding there is a constant balance of weight between the left and right. Since the right side sits a little lower its a short walk to think there might be more weight on the right side than the left. Think center of gravity. :chat:

This along with what Scotty already mentioned would certainly contribute to the right side tire wearing faster than the left. I mean think about it...everything we read on dialing in the adjustable shocks says the same thing...never make the settings unbalanced. Same both sides!!