PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

Silverwing
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I am new to owning a Spyder, just three week since purchase. Just completed 800 mile and it has had its first service. It is the RTS. What sort of fuel consumption should I expect to get? At the moment it seems low at only 37 miles to the gallon.

MouthPiece
08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Low? You either should check your math or pray that it continues to get what it's getting.

Chris PE# 0004

BajaRon
08-06-2010, 04:17 PM
37mpg is high. I agree with the previous post. You're either very fortunate or you're going to get lower numbers as you average your fuel stops.

musicarcade
08-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I am new to owning a Spyder, just three week since purchase. Just completed 800 mile and it has had its first service. It is the RTS. What sort of fuel consumption should I expect to get? At the moment it seems low at only 37 miles to the gallon.
:roflblack::roflblack:
I wish. That's what I thought I'd get on my:spyder:.
I average 27.4 mpg, but I don't have an RT....

SpyderAnn01
08-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I rode 100 with the wind at my back and got 30 mpg, on the return I only got 27. My mpg did improve after the 3000 mile service but 30 mpg is the best I've gotten so far

canam9
08-06-2010, 06:05 PM
welcome :ani29:

BajaRon
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
welcome :ani29:

I average around 35 highway miles. Less around town.

MouthPiece
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Well in thinking about it, here in Flarda we have ethanol (mandatory) in our gas. That is the biggest joke I've ever seen. When ethanol was made mandatory back in July, 09, my gas mileage decreased by at least 4 mpg. in my Infnity.

Not only does the ethanol decrease mileage, but it also leaves a distinct odor on your clothing when you ride. I never ever noticed a "smell" in earlier years of my riding. That is not the case now.

Perhaps you are running straight gas?

boborgera
08-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll get 35/38 on my Stock 08 GS,but that's on two Lane's at 55/60 mph'.
Highways at prevailing speeds 32/33 mpg. Around town [only a two traffic light town] 34/35 mpg.

Raptor
08-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I'll get 35/38 on my Stock 08 GS,but that's on two Lane's at 55/60 mph'.
Highways at prevailing speeds 32/33 mpg. Around town [only a two traffic light town] 34/35 mpg.

That sounds right. That's what I've been getting too. As long ad I keep a light throttle and no hot-dogging I get 35 - 37. Keep in mind that the weather has been cool and somewhat foggy, so the engine is making good power. Now if I start charging the technical courses and doing multiple high-speed runs on the highway that number drops a bunch! But even then I never get under 30. But I haven't done the juice box mod or anyhting else that's going to get rich on the mixture. Seems to be going just fine with just the Hindle on.

Today was a typical hard charge kind of run. I guess I had a little aggression in me and I just let it go. I chased a ferrari around 84 for 10 miles until he finally pulled over and let me by! Then I got on the freeway and did some pretty good burns. Got her to 120. First time since breeak-in that I have had 14 at that level, but she did just fine. She seemed to want more! I can tell you I wasn't getting 35MPG on THAT run! :roflblack:

SpyderWolf
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I have never bothered checking to see what type of mileage I am getting with it. The way it works for me is when I hit 3 bars on the fuel gauge I start looking for a gas station. I have been to 0 bars a couple of times, and that is not a very good feeling at all.

Raptor
08-06-2010, 11:37 PM
I have never bothered checking to see what type of mileage I am getting with it. The way it works for me is when I hit 3 bars on the fuel gauge I start looking for a gas station. I have been to 0 bars a couple of times, and that is not a very good feeling at all.

I hear ya dude! I got into that situation once and I was pretty nervous! I kept having this vision of me on the side of the road calling road service. I start looking at 2 bars except if I know I'm gonna be in the mountains, then I'll find a place before I get there and top off...

BillGargan
08-07-2010, 12:06 AM
My signature has my Fuelly history that you can click on and check the details. I record every fill-up and I record the cumulative odometer, so there is no errors in this.

The curious part is that I am getting 2.0 to 2.5 more MPG this season than last -- and it is consistent. Last season was 34+ and this season is 36+ -- with lots of ups and downs due primarily to the difficulty of consistently filling the tank to the same spot.

BajaRon
08-07-2010, 12:20 AM
We saw a guy on 2 wheels sitting on the side of the highway going to Canada. Actually, I didn't see him but at least Lamont saw him. Don't know if Harvey or Aaron did.

Anyway, I guess he was a few miles from the off ramp that we took to get fuel.

While we were there he came pushing his bike in and Lamont was very impressed. He asked "Did you push your bike all the way from where you were sitting on the side of the road?".

The guy said "No, I ran out of gas, walked here, got some gas and walked back. But it wasn't enough. I ran out again just before the off ramp.".

I've been on zero bars a few times. Keeps life a bit more exciting. Lamont doesn't appreciate the feeling though. :dontknow:

One night, on our way to California in his truck, he was sleeping and I was driving. He has a rule that we always get gas before 1/4 tank. I think we were in New Mexico on I-40 and.... Well, no...maybe I'd better not tell that one. :yikes:

That sure was an interesting trip. On the way back, pulling his MC trailer, we got into one of those detours that takes you into town. It was late, I was tired but I was driving because Lamont was MORE tired. I was behind this semi in a left turn lane and I was too close to the back of him and didnt' see the left turn signal had turned red until it was too late.

Knowing that Lamont likes living on the edge I went for it. Kind of forgot that trailer was back there making us quite a bit longer. There was this cop coming that had timed the light so he wouldn't have to slow down and....Well, no....I guess I shouldn't tell this one either.

Hmmm.... can't really think of a story I can tell. Guess I'll quit. :dontknow:

bjt
08-07-2010, 06:09 AM
... Hmmm.... can't really think of a story I can tell. Guess I'll quit. :dontknow:

:D I'm sure Lamont counts himself as blessed to know you. :D

BajaRon
08-07-2010, 06:15 AM
:D I'm sure Lamont counts himself as blessed to know you. :D

Oh! Absolutely! Yes! Not doubt at all about that! :doorag:

Well.... the Blessed part is for sure...

SpyderWolf
08-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Oh! Absolutely! Yes! Not doubt at all about that! :doorag:

Well.... the Blessed part is for sure...

Obviously, as he is still alive right now! :roflblack:

Dragonrider
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
When my Spyder has roughly 1K miles, I started having a ton of gas smell issues, and was getting 16 - 17 mpg on premium fuel. Up to that point, my best was 21mpg. I did a canisterectomy & ran the "fume" line to the back of the Spyder, and replaced my F-1 windshield with a Madstad - went to 24mpg, but still had fume issues.

Went to the stealer, who refused to work on my Spyder with the canister removed. By that time, the gas that was in the cannister had evaporated, and I re-installed it with the line to the rear left in place, and added a JB, green filter, and ram air duct. Took me a while to get the JB dialed in (the only place I do 55 is in my driveway ;) ), and over the last two tanks, I'm just shy of 30 mpg (29.985), on regular, and while the fumes are still there on a hot day, they are no where near a bad as they were.

Of the four or so Spyders I've run across in my travels, none do better. Seems the average is 28 +/-...

pathfinderjoe
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
The wife and I just returned from a 3,000 + mile tour through Beautiful British Columbia. Tail bag, saddlebags and nose-cone stuffed to the max. Lots of miles through the mountains - averaged approx. 32 mpg.

Silverwing
08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks to you all for your replies. There is one other point on fuel. The fuel gauge. The handbook says that it has a 25 litre tank. Running from full to red warning light and filling up I only get in 16 litres. Is the reserve realy that big??

howyman
08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
why is it so low? you would figure it should be alot higher? is it weight? or the engine?
my geo metro gets better gas mpg ,lol :2thumbs:

boborgera
08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
why is it so low? you would figure it should be alot higher? is it weight? or the engine?
my geo metro gets better gas mpg ,lol :2thumbs:

;)
If the Spider had an Engine that gave the same 0 to 60, 0 to 100 performance as the Metro it would get better mileage then the Metro, but then who would buy one?:shocked:

bikeguy
08-08-2010, 04:48 PM
My signature has my Fuelly history that you can click on and check the details. I record every fill-up and I record the cumulative odometer, so there is no errors in this.

The curious part is that I am getting 2.0 to 2.5 more MPG this season than last -- and it is consistent. Last season was 34+ and this season is 36+ -- with lots of ups and downs due primarily to the difficulty of consistently filling the tank to the same spot.

Bill, I'm wondering what speed you normally ride. For 5 of the last 6 tanks of fuel I've run through my RT I've kept the cruise set around 65 to 67 MPH and my mileage has run from 30+ to 33+ mpg. The other tank I was in a little more of a hurry, had the cruise set about 72, and the mileage fell back to 28+. Also, as someone else mentioned, I'm wondering about the percentage of ethanol in gasoline in various states. I'm never sure exactly what the percentage is here in Texas, but 10% is allowed and I expect that most of our gasoline contains 10% ethanol. More ethanol definitely means lower mileage.

Cotton

JJW SpyderRider
08-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks to you all for your replies. There is one other point on fuel. The fuel gauge. The handbook says that it has a 25 litre tank. Running from full to red warning light and filling up I only get in 16 litres. Is the reserve realy that big??

I have never put more than 4.5 gallons (17 liters) in my tank and that was after 165 miles riding two up. The red warning light was on the last 10 miles.

buck1234
08-08-2010, 10:04 PM
My dealer told me 2 things 3500 to 4500 rmp with easy throttle, will get 30 to 32 mpg.

I blasted around and got 20 mpg Then I took his advice and now I consistantly get 33 to 35 mpg on regular, and I still burn it up every so often.

Buck1234 :2thumbs: :yes: