PDA

View Full Version : 600 mile service

Red Recluse
08-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I will have 600 miles on my Spyder before long. I called the dealer about the 600 mile service and he said to wait until 1,000 miles. I asked him if that wouldn't mess up my warranty or something and he said "I am your warranty." Does that sound right or has anyone else waited until 1,000 miles to do the first service?:helpsmilie:

boborgera
08-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I will have 600 miles on my Spyder before long. I called the dealer about the 600 mile service and he said to wait until 1,000 miles. I asked him if that wouldn't mess up my warranty or something and he said "I am your warranty." Does that sound right or has anyone else waited until 1,000 miles to do the first service?:helpsmilie:

Maybe hes a very progressive dealer?:ohyea:
Me i always did my first oil change at around 6 hundred miles, No matter if its a Car /truck or Spyder. Just makes me feel better.

EricDeub
08-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I think the 600 mile oil change is to clean out any metal shavings that may have occurred during break in.:2thumbs:

NancysToy
08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
When Nancy got her Spyder, BRP was backordered on oil filters. When I asked the dealer if we should stop riding at 600 miles, they said not to worry about it. First service (after I got a filter from Firefly) was at over 900 miles. No sweat! My own RTS went into the dealer at 597 miles for warranty work. Many weeks and over 100 miles later, I got it back, and did the first service myself at 700+, with their blessing. The service intervals are not numbers set in stone, but I wouldn't stretch their 1,000 much. There are important things to do at the first service.

Your dealer is correct, in that they effectively are your warranty. If they decide not to do a valve check or other required service, the responsibility rests on them, as long as it was their decision. They are the ones you have to please, and that have to report a warranty infraction to BRP, and they appear to be satisfied. I would make a dated note of your conversation, and who you talked to, just for backup. I would also question their motives, however. Are they just too busy? Do they do this for all Spyders? If this is an indicator of an attitude problem, lack of qualified techs, a work overload, or some other difficulty, you may want to research other dealers.

Red Recluse
08-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice. Now I don't feel as worried. :D

RAL
08-06-2010, 07:50 AM
and I was glad I did. The filter looked like pewter and the magnetic plug was furry. I then took my spyder in for its 600mile service at about 700 miles.
How much life did that add to the engine...can't say. I know it didn't hurt. Me I sure would not wait to 1000 for the 1st oil change. If you want to wait to 1000 for the 600 mile service$$$ I would at least change the oil and filter myself NOW. Filters are available on E-bay cheap.

RAL

Justin
08-06-2010, 10:17 AM
My dealer is 3000km (1875m) for first service.

bjt
08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
When Nancy got her Spyder, BRP was backordered on oil filters. When I asked the dealer if we should stop riding at 600 miles, they said not to worry about it. First service (after I got a filter from Firefly) was at over 900 miles. No sweat! My own RTS went into the dealer at 597 miles for warranty work. Many weeks and over 100 miles later, I got it back, and did the first service myself at 700+, with their blessing. The service intervals are not numbers set in stone, but I wouldn't stretch their 1,000 much. There are important things to do at the first service.

Your dealer is correct, in that they effectively are your warranty. If they decide not to do a valve check or other required service, the responsibility rests on them, as long as it was their decision. They are the ones you have to please, and that have to report a warranty infraction to BRP, and they appear to be satisfied. I would make a dated note of your conversation, and who you talked to, just for backup. I would also question their motives, however. Are they just too busy? Do they do this for all Spyders? If this is an indicator of an attitude problem, lack of qualified techs, a work overload, or some other difficulty, you may want to research other dealers.

+1 BRP had filters, O-rings and crush washers on backorder when both dltang and I were ready for our 600 mile service. We waited and rode, per dealers instructions, for a couple of weeks until they got the filters in. I think they reused the crush washers and O-ring.