PDA

View Full Version : Racing on 3 wheels .....

Questions
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Hello,

I''m the VP of the Sidecar Racers Association - we are an eastern Canada & US based organisation with members from Hamilton to Boston. Our website is Sidecarracers.com (http://www.sidecarracers.com)
We currently race at tracks in Shannonville, Summit Point - West Virginia, and New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

We will also be doing a demonstration race at Cayuga in September 2010.

Our bikes are all modern F1 (1000cc) & F2 bikes (600cc), some of them have even raced around the Isle of Man TT.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q343/mickboyle/Oursidecar.jpg

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q343/mickboyle/IMG_4352.jpg

I'd like to think that there is an obvious connection between the high performance machines that you ride on the street and the ones we ride on the track.

It would be nice if we could strike up a relationship between our organisation and any Spyder owners clubs out there. Maybe even have some ride-outs to the racetrack to show off your bikes.

We have father/daughter, and husband/wife teams that race with us and it's an absolute blast doing this at over 140 MPH.

Any relationships that we could build would be appreciated.

You can email me at mickboyle@rogers.com

Safe riding all !

Mick

Roger
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM
You have a very interesting hobby. Do my eyes deceive me but your back tires they are not parallel with each other are they? :2thumbs:

docdoru
08-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Here we are, just name a place/time and the "performance testers" aka "Huligans" are ready! :2thumbs: :yes:

SpyderSteve
08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Looks interesting :2thumbs:

NJERNIE
08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I just knew docdoru would answer that really fast.:2thumbs:

boborgera
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
You have a very interesting hobby. Do my eyes deceive me but your back tires they are not parallel with each other are they? :2thumbs:

I think that's so there's a spot :dontknow: for the passenger to hang off.
Remember it's a Side car rig.

SpyderWolf
08-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Now that looks like fun! :2thumbs:

Roger
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I think that's so there's a spot :dontknow: for the passenger to hang off.
Remember it's a Side car rig.

heck i do that just for fun! :roflblack::roflblack:

SethO
08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
When and Where? Track days, Hells yess. Doc its on like donkey kong.

Raptor
08-05-2010, 11:57 PM
That is some wild stuff!! It's ironic because the last time I was at my dealer I was yuckin it up with the parts guys and one of them pulled up some pics of sidecar racing, and we commented about how insane that looked! It was the weekend of the U.S. Grand Prix.

Anyway, since I'm out here on the west coast I'm seemingly out of range but this looks like a blast! I will be checking out the site for sure! The picture you posted there is quite intriguing - I'm wondering about the suspension geometry as well. More technical stuff would be nice. Perhaps I'll find some on the site.

Anyway, thanks for the outreach Sir! I believe you have raised more than a few eyebrows! :D

Questions
08-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Roger,

Well perceived - in fact all 3 wheels have to be out of alignment to make these bikes legal.

It's a crazy sport developed by crazy Europeans (yes I'm one of them) I think that this is to deliberately make the bike more unstable as the passenger "drives" the bike as much as the driver because they always have to ensure that it stay's somewhat planted on the ground. Otherwise the bike will flip over.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q343/mickboyle/Race1May16_047_edited-1.jpg

Raptor - we do have a sister organisation on the West coast - here is the link - www.sra-west.us

Thanks for the interest guys.

Mick

NancysToy
08-06-2010, 07:43 AM
:thumbup: Many years (actually decades) ago, when I was roadracing motorcycles, I was studying a sidecar rig in the pits at Mosport, when the rider asked if I'd like to take a few practice laps. Not being smart enough to realize that he was looking for a willing "monkey" who owned his own leathers, I accepted. He spent the two laps talking me through all the motions, with me getting the feel for things on the first lap. I spent the two laps worring myself sick that I might do the wrong thing, kill him, and wreck his rig! What memories!

I have great respect for sidecar racers. I love to watch them run. It is one of the highlights of my trips to Mid-Ohio each year. I wish we had more of them here stateside. There are a number of husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend teams out there, and these folks rock! If you want to see a brave gal, check out the woman on a mixed sidecar team. And the physical conditioning has to be superb.

My hat is off to you and your contemporaries. Thanks for making us aware. I love the idea of tying in the three-wheel Spyder connection. It sounds like fun.

Raptor
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
:thumbup: Many years (actually decades) ago, when I was roadracing motorcycles, I was studying a sidecar rig in the pits at Mosport, when the rider asked if I'd like to take a few practice laps. Not being smart enough to realize that he was looking for a willing "monkey" who owned his own leathers, I accepted. He spent the two laps talking me through all the motions, with me getting the feel for things on the first lap. I spent the two laps worring myself sick that I might do the wrong thing, kill him, and wreck his rig! What memories!

I have great respect for sidecar racers. I love to watch them run. It is one of the highlights of my trips to Mid-Ohio each year. I wish we had more of them here stateside. There are a number of husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend teams out there, and these folks rock! If you want to see a brave gal, check out the woman on a mixed sidecar team. And the physical conditioning has to be superb.

My hat is off to you and your contemporaries. Thanks for making us aware. I love the idea of tying in the three-wheel Spyder connection. It sounds like fun.

:agree: I like the connection as well. It takes a brave (or insane) person to do this! :roflblack: I have nothing but respect for those that do. Scotty, you crazy devil you!! I bet you look back at that and smile though. I have many memories of the crazy figure-8 stuff that we did back in the day!

Raptor
08-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Roger,

Well perceived - in fact all 3 wheels have to be out of alignment to make these bikes legal.

It's a crazy sport developed by crazy Europeans (yes I'm one of them) I think that this is to deliberately make the bike more unstable as the passenger "drives" the bike as much as the driver because they always have to ensure that it stay's somewhat planted on the ground. Otherwise the bike will flip over.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q343/mickboyle/Race1May16_047_edited-1.jpg

Raptor - we do have a sister organisation on the West coast - here is the link - www.sra-west.us (http://www.sra-west.us)

Thanks for the interest guys.

Mick

Mick, thanks for the link.I shall be investigating for sure. It was a pleasure making your aquaintance here. :thumbup: