PDA

View Full Version : try castrol for less heat

jeremy taflinger
08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I did a little experimenting with my oils to find a good one, at my first oil change I put castrol 5 w 40 in, ran good, at my next oil change I put in amsoil 10 w 40 ran quieter shifted better but ran with the fan on constantly even at night in 60 degree weather so I took the amsoil out within 1 week and put the castrol 5 w 40 back in, drove it yesterday in 90+ degree weather at 80+ mph and the fan did not come on, it actually stayed at 3-4 bars all day unless I stoppped, with the amsoil just normal driving 60 mph the fan would come on even at at night in cooler temps constantly had 5 bars on gauge, so if you are tired of the fan coming on making your leg hot get the castrol otherwise enjoy the hot foot:2thumbs:

canam9
08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Interesting.:ani29:

M2Wild
08-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I noticed that you used different weight oil. Wondering if that will affect your temp reading. I switched from OEM oil to Royal Purple and found it running not as hot as before. But I also put Ice (water wetter) in the coolent during the same period and can't say which is making it running cooler.

BajaRon
08-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Really can't see how the oil switch is going to make the kind of difference you're experiencing.

Lighter weight oil will transfer heat more quickly but the difference between 5w and 10w should not be noticable in that respect.

It's like the guy that changed from a Hindle to the stock pipe to get his rear spark plug to fire.

Very strange....:dontknow:

boborgera
08-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Really can't see how the oil switch is going to make the kind of difference you're experiencing.

Lighter weight oil will transfer heat more quickly but the difference between 5w and 10w should not be noticable in that respect.

It's like the guy that changed from a Hindle to the stock pipe to get his rear spark plug to fire.

Very strange....:dontknow:

:dontknow:
Perception, if you thinks it works' it works.
Back in the 60,s put a STP sticker on your car and it ran quicker in the 1/4. :roflblack:

retired1
08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
My dealers BRP oil is delivered on Castrol pallets! Hmmm?

teacherbob
08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
2 words-Royal Purple.

Firefly
08-03-2010, 11:11 AM

That's because they make it for them...

Dudley
08-03-2010, 11:29 AM
2 words-Royal Purple.

Roger that! 35,000 miles on RP (40,000 miles on Spyder) and never a code, never a problem. Is that RP or just luck? Can't prove either one, but I am sticking to RP 10W40.

BajaRon
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM

True of every vehicle manufacturer, Ford, GMC, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, you name it. Not one of them make a drop of oil.

They take a major brand name oil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc., slap their label on it and charge twice the price. They pocket the money and you get a warm, fuzzy feeling (and so do they).

I get that same warm, fuzzy feeling as I purchase the same oil (or better) for less money from Wal-Mart! :thumbup: