PDA

View Full Version : Buzz from the engine?

irish2themax
08-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Yesterday, I started to get a constant "buzzing" sound presumably from the engine. Hard to describe...sort of like the buzzing of a fly but constant.

Anyone else had this problem or have any idea what the cause might be?

MouthPiece
08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
"Come into my house said the spyder to the fly" :yikes:

pzim
08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I have heard that sound but only when I apply the brake :dontknow:

Insy
08-02-2010, 04:38 AM
I found the "buzzing" noise quite annoying when applying the brakes. Turns out that the small micro switch that activates the brake light is the culprit. When the pedal is depressed the micro switch is fully extended and vibrates. Cured the problem by gluing a small piece of black sponge between the the body of the micro switch and the little silver lever. Now when the switch is fully extended the sponge stops the little lever from vibrating and voila, no noise.

irish2themax
08-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty certain mine is not the brakes since it never goes away but I'll check

Firefly
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I found the "buzzing" noise quite annoying when applying the brakes. Turns out that the small micro switch that activates the brake light is the culprit. When the pedal is depressed the micro switch is fully extended and vibrates. Cured the problem by gluing a small piece of black sponge between the the body of the micro switch and the little silver lever. Now when the switch is fully extended the sponge stops the little lever from vibrating and voila, no noise.

Really? I always thought that 'cricket sound' was the sound from the holes in the rotors as the air escapes while braking.

COOLMACHINE
08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
"Come into my house said the spyder to the fly" :yikes:
Good one MouthPiece. :)

Sorry Irish, I don't have an answer for your buzzing.

irish2themax
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Well I discovered the answer. The buzzing was getting worse and it sounded like it was coming from directly beneath me. All of a sudden....BAM...I was running straight pipes. WHOA....LOUD!! LOL

Buzzing must have been the exhaust coming loose but, after reseating everything, it's gone.

Whew...was worried it might be an engine prob that could keep from making the G'burg trip. All is good and counting the days

Sny
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
well at least it was easy to diagnose.

Now... about this cricket micro switch thing... drives me nuts. :gaah:

Where is it and what size hammer to I need to fix it?

Desert Spyder
08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Was the gasket OK Brian?

irish2themax
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Was the gasket OK Brian?

Was not in great shape...we replaced it