PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Parking

Jumper35
08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Hello All,

I recently discovered there is a plate sticker for motorcycles issued in Ontario, Canada for handicapped parking. All you need to do is follow the instructions on the Ministry website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/app_motorcycle.shtml

Happy Spydering!:2thumbs:

SethO
08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
MN it takes a bit but you can get handicrapp plates

I was looking at your setup, How do you load your wheelchair on your spyder with it being so far back? Just wondered how one would do it with my injury, I have a T8?

SpyderFun
08-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Indiana does the "preferred parking" plates as well.

dewie
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
good to know. for me I am unable to make long trips so I leave my chair behind and make small trips. nice to get away from the chair and handicapped placards where people look stare at the bike not my chair and me. but thats me.

Jumper35
08-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I transfer onto my seat and role up my seat cushion first, securing it to my passenger backrest with bungy cord. I then make sure I'm completely on the seat and use my left arm to hold the left handle bar for support. I use my right arm to grab the chair and heave it to the rear where the foot plate rests on the bracket and slide it into place. I use a light weight TiLite ZRA series 2 chair which weighs about 20lbs. My injury is T-11 and I'm an adaptive athlete, which helps a lot with the transferring. The key component here is having a very light chair. Anything over 20lbs it becomes very difficult.

MN it takes a bit but you can get handicrapp plates

I was looking at your setup, How do you load your wheelchair on your spyder with it being so far back? Just wondered how one would do it with my injury, I have a T8?

NancysToy
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Nancy has a Michigan HC plate on her Spyder. It was easy to apply for, but had to be sent in the mail.

obiwanbill
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Ohio has issued bike handicappied plates for the last 12 years...BMV has a form you fill out for the doctor to sign. Plate renews every year, but the doc authorization is good for 5 years:2thumbs:

I started out with a windshield plackard plate, but too many fooles kept stealing it. Plate is bolted down with 4 bolts to prevent 5 finger discounts:lecturef_smilie:

Star Cruiser
08-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello All,

I recently discovered there is a plate sticker for motorcycles issued in Ontario, Canada for handicapped parking. All you need to do is follow the instructions on the Ministry website:

Thanks Jumper. I got mine when they first came out (about two years now). Very handy for sure. You CAN be asked to produce your window sign at any time, but I have never been asked to produce it (yet)
Great forum for sharing this kind of information.

SethO
08-12-2010, 11:23 PM
I transfer onto my seat and role up my seat cushion first, securing it to my passenger backrest with bungy cord. I then make sure I'm completely on the seat and use my left arm to hold the left handle bar for support. I use my right arm to grab the chair and heave it to the rear where the foot plate rests on the bracket and slide it into place. I use a light weight TiLite ZRA series 2 chair which weighs about 20lbs. My injury is T-11 and I'm an adaptive athlete, which helps a lot with the transferring. The key component here is having a very light chair. Anything over 20lbs it becomes very difficult.

you get on the pipe side? that is opposite of what I do, maybe with a lower injury it would be different. i have a stock quickie GT , I suppose you do not need handles and a back as high as well, just by looking at the chair of yours. So you put your pad under the bottom of the wheelchair? and where do yo put the other end of the bungie that is on the passenger backrest. Was wondering how many miles you get on it a year, I mean is it your daily driver for trips. My trunk is full with the handicrapp stuff and travel comode chair.

sealfloorboards
08-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Jumper35

Oregon DMV offers HC stickers for motorcycles. I put mine in front of the dashboard between my windshield where the air vent is. I've had a sticker for 30 years in my car but Oregon just came out with the bike sticker. Told a judge last year that I didn't walk any better when I got off my bike than when I got out of my car.

Best wishes,

sealman-john

woodchuck
02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Hello All,

I live in PA and I received handicap plates for my spyder. Get in touch with your rep. and get a copy of the application for handicap plates and take it to your DR to fill it out and send it in to Harrisburg.

ARtraveler
02-25-2011, 01:14 AM
AK also has HC plates for motorcycles. I have a placcard for my car and one I attach to the windshield of the Spyder. Never had one stolen. I have vanity plates--so did not opt for the HC plate for mc.

NancysToy
02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
MI has them, too...Nancy has one. Show your authorization from the doctor, or valid windshield tag, and the DMV will take care of it. Even works on new motorcycles if the windshield tag number is entered on the registration paperwork. They send you the plate, though...not available at the DMV in person.