PDA

View Full Version : Question on Helmets...

Raptor
08-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey Gang -

I thought I would get a sample of what you guys do in terms of helmets. Things such as what you look for in a helmet, do you go for full face or othe, do you buy a brand for brand's sake, what you do and don't like about them, and how many do you own?

I just got helmet number three, a Scorpion EXO-1000. Probably my favorite out of the three. I started with the ICON Alliance SSR, then got a Shoei RF-1100. Love this lid, but I am having issues with my ears in this one for some reason. And now the EXO-1000 to go with 14. LOVE this lid! Incredible features, great look and an incredible value. It also fits the best out of the three.

I'm anxious to hear what you have to say. It's good to hear what others are doing and why.

fastfraser
08-01-2010, 06:21 AM
I like the modular helmets the best ! But it is amazing how different manufacturer's sizes very ! It took me 3 tries to get a helmet that is comfortable although they all felt good in the beginning .

SpyderAnn01
08-01-2010, 06:26 AM
I have an AGV modular that I ordered online and it fits great. I guess I got lucky on that. I do find that I ride with the face shield up an inch or so when it is really hot to get some extra ventilation. But it is very comfortable.

bonehead
08-01-2010, 07:12 AM
right now we have scoprin EXO helments, and seem to be very nice, and we have HD half helments. I like wearing the fullface when i don't have a full wind sheild. Wife wears the full at all times when she is driving. Gave up on Bell a few years ago, nice style just didn"t well or comfortable. like the Shark too

Latemarch
08-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Tried on several in the shop.
Settled in on the Shoei RF1000 as the most comfortable.
After riding with it a while I have shaved some foam (about 1/4") out of a couple of areas in the padding where there were pressure points and now it's perfect.

taggtr
08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Dealership gave me two Scorpion Exo-700 helmets when I bought the RTS. That was nice of them! Great helmet, but sucks trying to put my glasses on! So I bought a HJC IS-MAX helmet where the whole face lifts up and I can put the helmet on with ease while wearing my glasses! Has the cool sun shield that deploys behind the face shield. My fav so far!

jnt
08-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Before I learned how helmets are supposed to fit, I wore anything. Then my dealer fitted me for a BMW System helmet (back in 84). Have had modulars ever since - BMW System 2, System 3, System 4, then Schuberth, now Scorpion EXO-900s. My last BMW helmet (not available in US) saved my face 4 years ago.

ALWAYS wear one while ryding!

stormtrooper
08-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Full face summer helmet gmax gm68s 19 vents :thumbup: 9 intake 10 exhaust plus cool L.E.D light on back of helmet.

scudrunner
08-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey Stormtrooper, where'd you get that helmet in your avitar picture. Looks like it would be very protective! :joke:
We've gone with the Scorpion EXO also. Good fit. Some have said they are too heavy, but I found it to be just about right for me. The ventilation could be better, but I ride with the shield up most of the time.

pierrelogic
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I like the Vega Summit II for several reasons.

I wear contacts and this helmet allows extra room to wear sunglasses coupled with the full face shield keeps most of the wind off my eyes.

The flip-up design of the modular is a nice feature so I can do things without taking helmet all the way off (fueling).

The flip up shield allows for extra air to get in and cool things off. Also, the airety of shields available is nice. Easy to swap out.

The space near the ears allows the use of earbuds without any pain from long time wear.

The air vents on the top and front help on very hot days..no question.

It fits very comfortable on my head.

The newest Summit 3.0 has a build in flip down sun blocker...nice.

Degaman
08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Dealership gave me two Scorpion Exo-700 helmets when I bought the RTS. That was nice of them! Great helmet, but sucks trying to put my glasses on! So I bought a HJC IS-MAX helmet where the whole face lifts up and I can put the helmet on with ease while wearing my glasses! Has the cool sun shield that deploys behind the face shield. My fav so far!

I wear the HJC (SY-MAXII). It is great for open-face riding or closed for highways. Also agree on the benefits of the sun shield and the ease of putting on glasses. Bulky profile though.

tatt2r
08-01-2010, 01:05 PM
bluetooth verma jilano from helmetcity.com they treated me great and i love the helmet works great with music and phone from iphone ...a little heavy but so is my head at XXL:roflblack:

Harry Gilbert
08-01-2010, 01:10 PM
A good read before choosing a helmet.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

ARtraveler
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I like Nolan N-103 for a full face get up and the N-43 for a lighter weight version. We have been using Nolans for the last 3 years and I have 6 assorted at this time. No complaints with any of them.

jimcrom
08-01-2010, 03:39 PM
After reading all of the comments about helmets and their life expectancy, I decided to buy a new helmet. While up in Canada, I ended up buying a Voss 210 with built in sun glasses for $200. First modular helmet and I wear glasses so had to learn how to put it on while wearing glasses.
The only problem is the shield sometimes fogs up. Other than that I am happy with the purchase.

Hey Gang -

I thought I would get a sample of what you guys do in terms of helmets. Things such as what you look for in a helmet, do you go for full face or othe, do you buy a brand for brand's sake, what you do and don't like about them, and how many do you own?

I just got helmet number three, a Scorpion EXO-1000. Probably my favorite out of the three. I started with the ICON Alliance SSR, then got a Shoei RF-1100. Love this lid, but I am having issues with my ears in this one for some reason. And now the EXO-1000 to go with 14. LOVE this lid! Incredible features, great look and an incredible value. It also fits the besat out of the three.

I'm anxious to hear what you have to say. It's good to hear what others are doing and why.

DynamoBT
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
What I wear probably depends most on what the store carried when I was first looking for a helmet. HJC and Shoei predominantly. The HJC felt "OK". But hurt after wearing it in the store for a while. The Shoei fit like a glove. I've worn it for hours ryding too without problems.

Since that first helmet I've ordered online. Another Shoei RF-1000. Now the 1100's are out. Chances are I will by my next helmet (if there is a next) at a brick and mortar store. Subsequent, if any, online once I know my size. I have a small head. The Shoei XS fits perfectly.

NancysToy
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I will not wear anything but a full-face helmet anymore, after I took one in the face in a crash a few years back. Full-face helmet saved my life and my looks, although I was knocked unconscious for several hours. I slip on a halfpot for parade laps sometimes, but it is always full-face on the road. Currently I wear a Fulmer and a Scorpion EXO-700. Nancy wears an Arai.

The three most important things for a helmet are fit, fit, and fit! Most people select a helmet that is too large, especially if the shape is wrong for their heads, and a loose helmet is not a safe helmet. Try the helmet on and make sure it contacts the head snugly and evenly, all the way around. This will get the shape helmet you need. There should be no hotspots or pressure points, just firm, even pressure. Consider the cheek pads next. They can be changed on many brands of helmets, to fit snugly without pressing in too hard. If they cannot be changed, be sure they are tight enough to prevent excess side-to-side movement before the helmet strap is fastened. Next, fasten the helmet strap snugly, and shake and nod your head vigorously. The helmet should stay with your head, and stop when your head stops. If it wiggles appreciably, you need a smaller size. If you change to a different size, go through this routine again. Next, grab the helmet and try to pull it forward, back, and up (not all at once). It should not be loose enough to move much, and should certainly not be able to move forward on your forehead, or back off your head. Finally, wear the helmet around the store for about 15 minutes. You cannot tell much about fit in just a few seconds. It will be on your head hours during a ride. One more thing, if you wear glasses, be sure to try them on, including any sunglasses you normally wear. Some helmets do not fit glasses well. Other considerations are the earwells for audio equipment or earplugs, and removable liners for cleaning. The ventilation is important, but most ventilate similarly...and marginally. Features like flip-down sun visors may be desireable. The type of fastener matters to some. I prefer D-rings, but some prefer the clips. Some have accessories, like chin curtains, availableCertification is a given. Which one is as controversial as which oil to use, but DOT is necessary in most states that have helmet laws.

I am a big fan of the Arai helmets. They come in several shapes, to fit a variety of heads. Stocking Arai certified dealers are often trained in properly fitting helmets, and they can help make things right. My wife has a terrible time finding a helmet that fits, and they had her fixed up in a jiffy. I have no stake in Arai (or stock in Arai), but they have some good information about fit on their Website (http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=92), no matter which brand you finally choose.

Amanda B
08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I have lots of helmets. I have the BRP Scorpion 1000, which I like because I like the dual visor but I find it is the heaviest helmet I have. It is good when it is hot to let lots of air in or when I'm going on longer rides.

I have a Schoei RF-1000 and I really like it. It is the lightest helmet I have, has good airflow up in the top area, and it is quiet. I like that it is simple and light. I paid less for this helmet than any of the other ones (I lucked out).

I also have several HJC helmets which are okay. They are pretty basic but I kind of like that about them.

GMAX which is good because it has lots of vents so it's nice on a hot day, but not very good with a communication system as it is the noisiest helmet I have. It also has L.E.D.s that flash for night time riding.

SpyderFun
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I like Nolan N-103 for a full face get up and the N-43 for a lighter weight version. We have been using Nolans for the last 3 years and I have 6 assorted at this time. No complaints with any of them.

:agree:
I have 2-Nolan N-43 Trilogy w/Blutooth-2 helmets & they work great! It is the next best thing to the Can-Am helmet but w/o the wire. Rider-2-Pax inter-comm & phone capability. Also being able to change the style of the helmet is a major plus! Full face is hot during peak summer temps but having the chin guard makes not having to sacrifice protection for comfort sake.

-Ride Smart & Ride Safe

ArmyJoe
08-01-2010, 06:48 PM
My requirements were full-face and color match. I went with an HJC CL-SP.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=6510

Raptor
08-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Wow, what a great response! You guys rock! :2thumbs: Now I understand why there are so many out there. There are many requirements that riders have and the market has what we need to be sure! Here is my assessment of the three that I own:

The Icon Alliance SSR fit very well, was fairly light, I liked the ventilation and anti-fog tech and, the graphics were sick and the price point was very good. Washable lining, etc. The trouble with this one is that at speed it becomes unstable and I start the bobble head thing. Very uncomfortable. So this is my day-runner.

The Shoei RF-1100 is a fantastic helmet. Great fit, superior construction, amazing graphics, pretty good ventilation and all day long comfort. Great visiblity also. This one however has the earwells for installing comm devices and such and this is an issue for me because I have an on-going problem with my head and ears. Earplugs solve this problem somewhat but the helmet fogs a bit on me too. A fog city shield helps a bunch so not a show stpper, it's just annoying considering what I paid!

Enter the EXO-1000. Kevlar construction shell, wonderfull aerodynamics, everclear shield that wiil not fog on you and swaps out in 5 seconds (literally!), excellent ventilation, flip down inner visor so you can ride into the night and simply fip up the inner visor, moisture wicking liner, and an air pump that adjusts the liner for that perfect fit every time. The controls are simple to find and easy to use. All of this at a price point that will surprise you. It is a bit heavy compared to the other helmets but it doesn't bother me at all. And it has a great stealth look to match 14! And most importantly, it's the one that fits the best.

I wanted to look at Arai but I just can't afford them. Maybe some day. For now I am very comfortable with the lids that I have. And full-face they all are. Nothing but for me.