PDA

View Full Version : not a happy oil change at all

Roger
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
:gaah::gaah::gaah: To make a very long story short took me exactly 6hrs to get NOTHING :gaah: done had to go to 5 or 6 different stores to find all the tools to do the job correctly including an atv jack i first tried to jack the front of the bike with a regular floor jack but it slipped off the jack ended up stuck in between the arm frame broke some plastic :gaah:. So i learned my lesson and bought the correct jack. Now the bike is in the air all nice and sturdy the panels are off so i get my new t40 for the oil plug and then it happened it started to round out. I started thinking when the oil was changed at the shop they did not use a torq wrench they just used brute force, i know cause i watched but at that time i did not know they needed to be torqed so now i guess i will call them to let them know of my problem. I'am postive he will make good on it cause it will bother him cause that is the type of owner he is.

Trickie Dick
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
You need a 6mm ALLEN for the drain plug and a 5 mm for the filter. Go back and try that. Make sure you seat the allen well before trying to turn.

rnet
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
:gaah::gaah::gaah: To make a very long story short took me exactly 6hrs to get NOTHING :gaah: done had to go to 5 or 6 different stores to find all the tools to do the job correctly including an atv jack i first tried to jack the front of the bike with a regular floor jack but it slipped off the jack ended up stuck in between the arm frame broke some plastic :gaah:. So i learned my lesson and bought the correct jack. Now the bike is in the air all nice and sturdy the panels are off so i get my new t40 for the oil plug and then it happened it started to round out. I started thinking when the oil was changed at the shop they did not use a torq wrench they just used brute force, i know cause i watched but at that time i did not know they needed to be torqed so now i guess i will call them to let them know of my problem. I'am postive he will make good on it cause it will bother him cause that is the type of owner he is.You should of used the garage mahal:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_s milie:

boborgera
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
:gaah::gaah::gaah: To make a very long story short took me exactly 6hrs to get NOTHING :gaah: done had to go to 5 or 6 different stores to find all the tools to do the job correctly including an atv jack i first tried to jack the front of the bike with a regular floor jack but it slipped off the jack ended up stuck in between the arm frame broke some plastic :gaah:. So i learned my lesson and bought the correct jack. Now the bike is in the air all nice and sturdy the panels are off so i get my new t40 for the oil plug and then it happened it started to round out. I started thinking when the oil was changed at the shop they did not use a torq wrench they just used brute force, i know cause i watched but at that time i did not know they needed to be torqed so now i guess i will call them to let them know of my problem. I'am postive he will make good on it cause it will bother him cause that is the type of owner he is.

:dontknow:
Too late now but you sure it takes a T40, and not a 6mm allen??

Roger
07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
You need a 6mm ALLEN for the drain plug and a 5 mm for the filter. Go back and try that. Make sure you seat the allen well before trying to turn.

:dontknow:
Too late now but you sure it takes a T40, and not a 6mm allen??
I saw that thread yesterday so i sent a message to lamont to confirm my idea and he said i was correct now i beg you please double check this with him just to double confirm. :helpsmilie:

Roger
07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I was trying to find the thread wear bajaron noticed those are torqs not allen and he said 6mm also but if you match a 6mm allen it equals a t40 in my case the mechanic just over tightened i believe. :dontknow:

boborgera
07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I saw that thread yesterday so i sent a message to lamont to confirm my idea and he said i was correct now i beg you please double check this with him just to double confirm. :helpsmilie:

Changed my oil [myself] 6 times, 6mm and 5.:dontknow:
My Spyder is an 08 Sm5, Could that make a difference?:dontknow:
P/S A toque will strip out a tight Allen.

Roger
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
maybe my friend i'am not so sure anymore still a little miffed :chill:

boborgera
07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
maybe my friend i'am not so sure anymore still a little miffed :chill:

Relax, Just remember this probably isn't the first time something went wrong and believe me it won't be the last. nojoke
Did i ever tell you about the time i used Crazy glue on my Eye Glasses':shocked:

bjt
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
We use the two Allen wrenches in the toolkit to change the oil. The large one works in the drain plugs and the smaller one works on the filter cap. A 6" piece of copper tubing works great as a breaker bar on those small wrenches. Just be sure the Allen wrench is fully seated in the bolt before you start reefing on it.

Lamonster
07-27-2010, 04:23 PM
EDIT- I was wrong http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=232138&postcount=39

Justin
07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Just changed oil on both 09 Phantoms. They are allen.

ArmyJoe
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I changed my oil without jacking it up. :dontknow:

Roger
07-27-2010, 10:18 PM
OK i think we got this cleared up now thank you everyone now that i took a shave and hot shower and had a hot meal i will try the allen wrench tomorrow if i get it loose i will be my happy self again. Does anybody remove the plastic panel tray thing under the oil filter like the book says or do you work around it?

Justin
07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
OK i think we got this cleared up now thank you everyone now that i took a shave and hot shower and had a hot meal i will try the allen wrench tomorrow if i get it loose i will be my happy self again. Does anybody remove the plastic panel tray thing under the oil filter like the book says or do you work around it?

I take mine off. It's just two 10mm bolts. No need to jack the bike up.

SpyderWolf
07-28-2010, 06:08 AM

Definitely remove it unless you don't care about the oil running all over it.

Also, if you have an SE5 with the transmission filter treat those bolts with a gentle touch as I snapped one off during the first oil change I did on my wife's Spyder. :gaah: I had to visit 4 different hardware stores before I found a replacement. I bought 4 of them for just in case. ;)

Some Guy
07-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Yep...I learned that one the hard way! :gaah:
Firefly took his off and left it off. I may do the same next time I change the oil.

Roger
07-28-2010, 07:50 AM

Also, if you have an SE5 with the transmission filter treat those bolts with a gentle touch as I snapped one off during the first oil change I did on my wife's Spyder. :gaah: I had to visit 4 different hardware stores before I found a replacement. I bought 4 of them for just in case. ;)

I hope i dont but i will check if there is a torq speck for it. By the way do you have the info of the bolts you purchased just in case? :popcorn:
I just went out and check to see if i could get the allen in it i did get it in but it is over tightened and just started to round out so i'am taking it to the dealer and let them get it out but i have to wait till they get the new plug in should be friday. i will have them take the old one out save the oil put new one in then put the oil back in. I know someone might wonder why not just let them do the oil change and its because i have other things i want to do on the bottom and i bought the material already.

Justin
07-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I hope i dont but i will check if there is a torq speck for it. By the way do you have the info of the bolts you purchased just in case? :popcorn:
I just went out and check to see if i could get the allen in it i did get it in but it is over tightened and just started to round out so i'am taking it to the dealer and let them get it out but i have to wait till they get the new plug in should be friday. i will have them take the old one out save the oil put new one in then put the oil back in. I know someone might wonder why not just let them do the oil change and its because i have other things i want to do on the bottom and i bought the material already.

One of the worst things to use is a torque wrench. Especially a cheap one. They cause more headaches than good.

Firefly
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
One of the worst things to use is a torque wrench. Especially a cheap one. They cause more headaches than good.

:agree:

The only things on the Spyder I use the a torque wrench for are the wheels and the front sprocket bolt.

No need to use it on the oil drain plugs--- just go by feel.

Donzo
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I use car ramps to get the Spyder up and easy to get to - works great and much easier than jacking up. I have an ATV jack if I need to remove wheels or adjust the belt - but, The car ramps see more use.

boborgera
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM

The only things on the Spyder I use the a torque wrench for are the wheels and the front sprocket bolt.

Yep!
After that it's only taking up space in my tool box.:D

sabunim5
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I changed my oil without jacking it up. :dontknow:
Me too. Several times.

sabunim5
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Does anybody remove the plastic panel tray thing under the oil filter like the book says or do you work around it?

I have never had to remove mine and no mess was made after multiple oil changes. Just lucky, I guess. :dontknow:

Firefly
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM

If you have a problem getting a plug let me know--- I have a few here.....

Roger
07-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Well i think the reason for the torq spec is because of the copper washer ergo the 15lbs of torq. If mine was done correctly i don't believe i would have had a problem I do own a good torq wrench. Whats that old!!! saying i think scotty penned it :joke: "IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT DO IT YOURSELF" but thank you anyway justin

If you have a problem getting a plug let me know--- I have a few here.....

Thank you firefly i spoke with my dealer told him the problem and he wants to make it right as i knew he would but if i need one i will let you know. :2thumbs:

Justin
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Well i think the reason for the torq spec is because of the copper washer ergo the 15lbs of torq. If mine was done correctly i don't believe i would have had a problem I do own a good torq wrench. Whats that old!!! saying i think scotty penned it :joke: "IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT DO IT YOURSELF" but thank you anyway justin

Thank you firefly i spoke with my dealer told him the problem and he wants to make it right as i knew he would but if i need one i will let you know. :2thumbs:

The reason it is too tight is because he used a torque wrench.lol

spyryder
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
It still sticks even if you don't tighten it that much.....at least there's not much worry of it falling out. :pray:

NancysToy
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Actually, I feel the drain plugs are one of the good places to use a torque wrench. I have seen far more drain plugs "freeze" from having an Armstrong torque wrench used, than ones that were tightened to spec with a good torque wrench, that has been properly stored and periodically checked for accuracy. Biggest cause of a faulty ratcheting torque wrench is failure to back off the spring tension before you put it away. The spring can take a set, and it will over-torque.

One of the other problems is reusing the "crush" washer. When used, a copper washer is compressed slightly. If you look at yours carefully, you may see the indentation from the drain plug. After a while, it becomes more dense, and it doesn't give much. This makes it "lock" into place, especially if over-torqued. I don't always replace the copper washers (except on a brake or clutch system), but I always inspect them and replace them if the are noticeably scratched or indented, or if they have been used a few times. They are relatively cheap...cheaper than drain plugs.

Just my 2¢.

boborgera
07-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Actually, I feel the drain plugs are one of the good places to use a torque wrench. I have seen far more drain plugs "freeze" from having an Armstrong torque wrench used, than ones that were tightened to spec with a good torque wrench, that has been properly stored and periodically checked for accuracy. Biggest cause of a faulty ratcheting torque wrench is failure to back off the spring tension before you put it away. The spring can take a set, and it will over-torque.

One of the other problems is reusing the "crush" washer. When used, a copper washer is compressed slightly. If you look at yours carefully, you may see the indentation from the drain plug. After a while, it becomes more dense, and it doesn't give much. This makes it "lock" into place, especially if over-torqued. I don't always replace the copper washers (except on a brake or clutch system), but I always inspect them and replace them if the are noticeably scratched or indented, or if they have been used a few times. They are relatively cheap...cheaper than drain plugs.

Just my 2¢.

:thumbup:
Your right Scotty, But in this case He chewed up the Allen head using a# T40
once it's damaged from the #T40 the 6mm Allen will just damage it more.

SpyderWolf
07-28-2010, 08:40 PM

I am thinking they were something like an M6 bolt, but cannot remember exactly. I took the good one with me, and the hardware store I stopped at had a large selection of allen head bolts. We also fit a nut on the end of the good one, and made sure it would fit the new ones properly, in order to make sure nothing was going to be cross threaded.

Lamonster
07-28-2010, 08:44 PM
By the way we checked Ron's plugs again and they are definitely Torx nojoke

Firefly
07-28-2010, 09:12 PM

That is really strange.

hondaman
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I have not found any torx on my spyder but my jeep is loaded with them and my can-am outlander has a few.There is nothing good about a torx.

Lamonster
07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I have not found any torx on my spyder but my jeep is loaded with them and my can-am outlander has a few.There is nothing good about a torx.
All your panels are held on by #30 torx

SpyderWolf
07-28-2010, 09:22 PM

This doesn't surprise me too much, as we are talking about Ron after all. :D :joke:

NancysToy
07-28-2010, 09:54 PM
:thumbup:
Your right Scotty, But in this case He chewed up the Allen head using a# T40
once it's damaged from the #T40 the 6mm Allen will just damage it more.
Yeah, dead meat after that. I don't trust those L-shaped allen wrenches, either. They put too much force in a direction that wants to twist the hex out of the hole instead of turn it. I find a good hex head socket on a ratchet or ratcheting torque wrench to be more positive.

Firefly
07-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, dead meat after that. I don't trust those L-shaped allen wrenches, either. They put too much force in a direction that wants to twist the hex out of the hole instead of turn it. I find a good hex head socket on a ratchet or ratcheting torque wrench to be more positive.

After my first oil change I went out and bought a set of metric hex sockets.

Raptor
07-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Which is exactly what I will be doing. With my luck I'll get down there and they'll be Torx!! :roflblack: But seriously, those MP01 and MP02 plugs are looking pretty darn good right now!

hondaman
07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
All your panels are held on by #30 torx

forgot about them.have not had the panels off for a year.Just use the zeus fasteners for a quick oil level check.

NancysToy
07-29-2010, 07:01 AM

Which is exactly what I will be doing. With my luck I'll get down there and they'll be Torx!! :roflblack: But seriously, those MP01 and MP02 plugs are looking pretty darn good right now!
Look first...buy later. A mirror and a good light will do the trick, even through the drain hole in the splash panel. Since the oil tank and sump should be the same type of plug (different sizes), you could look at the tank drain as an alternative. Or you could buy a set of metric hex head sockets and a set of Torx, and have it covered either way. Hmmm, maybe I should buy some Sears stock, if I keep talking that way. :D

Trickie Dick
07-29-2010, 07:14 AM

:agree:+1.....Got a set of Torex as well...