PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties installing trunk liner?

Dubaian
07-23-2010, 12:48 PM
i just bought the trunk liner but it seems hard to install... any one have a better way to install it then the instructions that came with it :gaah:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AG1pGt9CL._SS400_.jpg

groundeffect
07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi there.

What is the issue you are having, exactly?

I installed my trunk linear myself and did not have any issues with the installation using the included instructions.

I did however notice that I required a few clamps to help hold the elastic around the top of the trunk while I was installing the rubber border around the trunk.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

SpyderWolf
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Mine was somewhat difficult to install because it was no where near being smooth when taken out of the package. I had to remove my owners manual and toolkit as well. Then I had my wife hold a section of the elastic while I worked the other side over the lip. When all that was done, it still wasn't a smooth clean look. I took a gallon water jug and set it in the bottom of the compartment on the liner and left it there for a day. That helped pull everything down and smooth it out like it needed to be. I eventually put my owners manual back in its position behind the liner, but the toolkit still sits on the bottom of the liner.

mxz600
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
i just bought the trunk liner but it seems hard to install... any one have a better way to install it then the instructions that came with it :gaah:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AG1pGt9CL._SS400_.jpg

I had no problem at all. I can't remember exactly what the instructions said. But the way I did mine was I removed the rubber seal from the trunk. Set the liner in the trunk and pushed (sometimes pounding) it in place. Pulled the stretchy part over the lip of the trunk (not caring if it all stayed put) just to get the top portion somewhat in place. Then I replaced the rubber seal working my way around stretching the top of the liner over the lip as I went. There were a couple of spots it wasn't perfect but no one can tell, I don't even notice it anymore.

Is that your liner in the picture? Mine doesn't look like that. Mine has a zipper that goes around in a U starting and stopping at the top and the flap is fuzzy, it doesn't have that nylon looking material. The thing is always coming unzipped.

groundeffect
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Don't forget to replace / reinstall the rubber seal, as to help protect from water getting in the trunk.

Cheers.
Dean

bjt
07-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Mine was somewhat difficult to install because it was no where near being smooth when taken out of the package. I had to remove my owners manual and toolkit as well. Then I had my wife hold a section of the elastic while I worked the other side over the lip. When all that was done, it still wasn't a smooth clean look. I took a gallon water jug and set it in the bottom of the compartment on the liner and left it there for a day. That helped pull everything down and smooth it out like it needed to be. I eventually put my owners manual back in its position behind the liner, but the toolkit still sits on the bottom of the liner.

:agree: Similar difficulties when I installed dltang's trunk liner. The way they fold it up in the packaging and the stiffness of the material make it hard to fit in at first. After hers was in the trunk for a while, it smoothed out and looks nice now.

Roadkill
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
+No problems whatsoever with installation, fitment and continued use.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Roger
07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
:agree: Similar difficulties when I installed dltang's trunk liner. The way they fold it up in the packaging and the stiffness of the material make it hard to fit in at first. After hers was in the trunk for a while, it smoothed out and looks nice now.
:agree:100%

ArmyJoe
07-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't forget to replace / reinstall the rubber seal, as to help protect from water getting in the trunk.

Is that the way it's supposed to be? Mine came from the dealer installed over the pre-existing edge.

dlittle
07-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Has anyone tried a spray-on adhesive of sorts? I'm considering doing that to limit the movement and make it look a little better.

NancysToy
07-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Is that the way it's supposed to be? Mine came from the dealer installed over the pre-existing edge.
Yes, the liner goes on first, covered and secured by the gasket.

M2Wild
07-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Mine came with no instructions either and I put it over the existing edge which made the fronk a little tighter to close and the edge likes to wiggle loose. Found the correct way to install it and put it under the seal. Works much better now. All the bumps from folding will work itself back to org. shape over a few days (especially in the heat). No worries there.

millers1
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Lay it on a flat surface out in the sun for a little while. Makes it more pliable. Helps to have 4 hands or a few clamps available when installing.

Remove the rubber seal (just pulls off). Drop in the liner. Pull about an inch over the trunk lip and secure with some paper clamps in a few places. Then just push the seal over it and work your way around.. removing the clamps as you go. You can pull the seal off where at any wrinkles and reposition a little to smooth 'em out.

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/list/5311/6966paper_clamps.jpg

Lamonster
07-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Mine kept coming loose till I used a little hotglue on it. :thumbup:

boborgera
07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I put the trunk liner in over two years ago, It went in easy enough, But i avoid taking out the tool kit from it's zippered pocket. I have no patience trying to get it back in without ripping the zipper.[done that].
Patience is not my strong point I'm always in a rush, Just last week my Doctor informed me that i have only 6 months to live,
I said to him 6 months!!,

I can do it in 3 :D

ArmyJoe
07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes, the liner goes on first, covered and secured by the gasket.

Thanks, fixed!