PDA

View Full Version : ECM and other parts backorder research

patches
07-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I know this is a dead horse but maybe someone that cares can do a bit of research on this as well.
I called every dealer today in the state of North Carolina "only had to do one state for a sample" and asked for the part/service manager.
I asked a few simple questions regarding parts for the spyder. Here are the numbers I got.
As of 7/15/2010.

Called 12 dealers which I was able to get information from. Some did not want to deal with me or were going to call me back which I understand.

Out of the 12, every single one of them had a spyder in the shop waiting for a part.

I didn't go into the detail of which part they are waiting on but each one had a part either waiting shipment/on order or backorder.

Some shops had multiple spyders either on the shop floor or still with the customer because they did not have room for it waiting for parts, I did NOT go into which parts but some of them could be non-performance or maintenance related parts.

The estimated time for a part waiting shipment/on order is on average 15 days.

Most shops do not install the part the day it gets into the shop, average installation from receiving part is 2 days which is pretty good I think. One shop told me 7 days typically which brought down the average.

Now the good stuff, because it is always about me. I asked, 3 simple questions:
1. Do you have an ECM currently on order?
2. If you do, when was it ordered and when was it received?
3. How many do you currently have on order?

3a. Side question was asked about the part number
Here are the averages I got:
1. 10 out of 12 have at least one ECM on order.
2. Orders go back from May to June with an estimated order to install array of 34 days.
3. Average was 16. Most had more than 1 on order at this time.

3a. this was interesting. I got several part numbers that were on order for the ECM. I then asked what models but because I did not get consistent answers from all 12 dealers, I left this out of my resource. It is interesting; the ones that did tell me SM5, there were three different part numbers on order but most were only 2 different part numbers.\

Not really going to add any thoughts to this but plan to dig a bit deeper later when I have more time. I am thinking of creating a survey form to provide to the dealers that would/willing to fill it out just for us to review the numbers. I am sure dealers are tired of getting dumped on all the time and maybe just maybe they are really the middle man in the whole deal but I still don't trust a one of them.

Just so you know, I do numbers for a living, just not with this stuff, only with analytics and bank fraud. All of this information is in a SAS dataset for future input so if you want further numbers and variations, I can send them along but you need to undestand SAS programming to make some modifications youself.

A bit more information..of the 12 dealers...BBB has a record of "F" for all but one. Each one has more than 3 compliants which have never been answered. Take it for what it is worth.

Firefly
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
A good dealer would borrow an ECM from one of their demo/floor models to get you back on the road.

boborgera
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I know this is a dead horse but maybe someone that cares can do a bit of research on this as well.
I called every dealer today in the state of North Carolina "only had to do one state for a sample" and asked for the part/service manager.
I asked a few simple questions regarding parts for the spyder. Here are the numbers I got.
As of 7/15/2010.

Called 12 dealers which I was able to get information from. Some did not want to deal with me or were going to call me back which I understand.

Out of the 12, every single one of them had a spyder in the shop waiting for a part.

I didn't go into the detail of which part they are waiting on but each one had a part either waiting shipment/on order or backorder.

Some shops had multiple spyders either on the shop floor or still with the customer because they did not have room for it waiting for parts, I did NOT go into which parts but some of them could be non-performance or maintenance related parts.

The estimated time for a part waiting shipment/on order is on average 15 days.

Most shops do not install the part the day it gets into the shop, average installation from receiving part is 2 days which is pretty good I think. One shop told me 7 days typically which brought down the average.

Now the good stuff, because it is always about me. I asked, 3 simple questions:
1. Do you have an ECM currently on order?
2. If you do, when was it ordered and when was it received?
3. How many do you currently have on order?

3a. Side question was asked about the part number
Here are the averages I got:
1. 10 out of 12 have at least one ECM on order.
2. Orders go back from May to June with an estimated order to install array of 34 days.
3. Average was 16. Most had more than 1 on order at this time.

3a. this was interesting. I got several part numbers that were on order for the ECM. I then asked what models but because I did not get consistent answers from all 12 dealers, I left this out of my resource. It is interesting; the ones that did tell me SM5, there were three different part numbers on order but most were only 2 different part numbers.\

Not really going to add any thoughts to this but plan to dig a bit deeper later when I have more time. I am thinking of creating a survey form to provide to the dealers that would/willing to fill it out just for us to review the numbers. I am sure dealers are tired of getting dumped on all the time and maybe just maybe they are really the middle man in the whole deal but I still don't trust a one of them.

Just so you know, I do numbers for a living, just not with this stuff, only with analytics and bank fraud. All of this information is in a SAS dataset for future input so if you want further numbers and variations, I can send them along but you need to undestand SAS programming to make some modifications youself.

ECM,s are on back order, for weeks at two dealers i know.
one in NJ, one in PA. :popcorn::popcorn:

patches
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I thought the same thing and actually asked at least 3 dealers that I deal with and all three told me the same thing.
1. either the part number of the SM5 they have on the floor does not match the one I need "new part number"
2. They have been instructed to NOT do this by BRP. I would assume they are making the swap and then making the warrenty claim to get the new part. However, I do see a problem with this. The warrenty claim must be made against a bike which has been sold to a customer, not just in the dealers hands. It depends on how the dealer aquired the inventory I suppose. Warrenty does not start on a bike until it has been sold in most cases. Maybe this is how people buy spyders and 2 weeks later they break..lol..just kidding.

Firefly
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Some dealers have been known to take things into their own hands and swap parts from floor models to keep you on the road--- still file the claim under your bike--- swap your ECM with a floor model---- and then have you come back in once the new part arrives and do a swap again.

That's the way I would run things!

patches
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Agree, we did that in the Navy with our POS S-3B aircraft until the Navy came back and told us, hey..that is pretty smart, stop doing that..lol.