PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 1988 Kaw Voyager VII

COOLMACHINE
07-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Possibly looking at a 1988 Kaw voyager VII with 18,500 miles on it as a second ride. Anybody have a similiar one? How do you like it? Any faults or dislikes? Any concerns about purchasing a 22 year old bike? Anything in particular to look at?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jerry

canam9
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I dont know anything about it However if it runs great and it is super cheap, Why not. Just my .02:ani29:

boborgera
07-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Possibly looking at a 1988 Kaw voyager VII with 18,500 miles on it as a second ride. Anybody have a similiar one? How do you like it? Any faults or dislikes? Any concerns about purchasing a 22 year old bike? Anything in particular to look at?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jerry

22 years old, the miles aren't high the years are. Also are you going to do a lot of long rides or just putt around town?
:dontknow:
Now this is just me, I'm not bragging mind you, I can afford to buy new and right now I'm in the process of buying a new bike. My Spyder is in the shop over two weeks with no end in site. The reason i want to buy new is because i want to ride now, Sometimes a used bike will need some unforeseen shop time and i don't need two bikes in the shop at the same time. Let me just add I'm not buying a big bike, It's a standard 650. I'm keeping the Spyder, the new bike will be a backup, or maybe until another manufacturer comes out with a reverse trike.

COOLMACHINE
07-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Yep, 2 bikes in the shop at the same time sucks big time.
Would appreciate others who have older bikes and what kind of things wear out with this old of a bike. Thanks everybody. Until the Spyder, I always bought new bikes.

ataDude
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Yep, 2 bikes in the shop at the same time sucks big time.
Would appreciate others who have older bikes and what kind of things wear out with this old of a bike. Thanks everybody. Until the Spyder, I always bought new bikes.

1998 Valk here. Almost everything rubber will need to be replaced over time... from spark plug wires/boots, to vacuum caps, to O-rings, to fork seals. In addition, the Kawa probably is carbed and the carbs may need to be removed and cleaned.

http://www.thunderbird1600.com/csp/thunderbird/Uploads/Users/ataDude/PhotoAlbum/vpwg0l04ej.jpg