PDA

View Full Version : If your Spyder is currently in the shop for more than 2 weeks post here

Lamonster
07-13-2010, 08:26 AM
I just read the post where one of our troops has had his Spyder sitting in a shop for over 3 months waiting on parts. :mad:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21125

There's been way too many threads of late of folks having long down time because of backordered parts or dealers that can't seem to fix the problems. I would like to have one post where the members here can be counted as one of these owners that have had their Spyder in the shop way too long. In my book anything over two weeks is way too long and I remember BRP saying the same thing.

I would ask that those of you that are not on the list not start a debate or hijack this thread. :lecturef_smilie:

I want to make it easy to read and not have a bunch of junk to sift through. I will make sure that BRP see's this and that it is a real problem and maybe we can help them help us. Thanks

boborgera
07-13-2010, 09:39 AM
08 GS SM5 In the shop two weeks now for ECM, ETA End of July?

SpydaRyda
07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
:mad: on may 31st i took my spyder to stamford motorsports in CT. because what it seem like the clutch was slipping ... obviously this is a warranty problem... the person in charge at the shop told me they would order the parts and have them in the following week .... now everytime i call to check up on my bike, they tell me next week its gonna be ready, its been 7 weeks since i took my bike in for repairs!!:mad: im starting to feel like since its a warranty job and they have to do it for free, they keep putting my bike on the side because other people are paying to get stuff done to their bike! i feel that is totally unfair for them to do that! is there anything i can do to put theses guys at STAMFORD MOTORSPORT on blast because i want everyone to know about these guys and their lack of service

patches
07-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Mine has been gone for 3 weeks now. ECM..waiting on parts. Took over 2 months to get new DPS to the dealer, luckly it was just part of the recall and didn't have to have it. No ETA provided and no call back from Carlo or reply to emails on ETA. Dealer stated this morning, still no ETA on ECM.

UPDATE: Recieved a call today, part "ECM" has been shipped from BRP. Guess we will see next week if I get it back.
Update: Picked up the bike with new DPS ane ECM from shop on 7/21/10. Total time in shop was 3.4 weeks.

Sarge707
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
1- Mine picked up 24 June! 09SE5
Starts- runs - will click into gear but not move- E fault-Transmission.
2- Called 1 July (1 week later) Had not looked at it YET!
3- Called 8 July (2nd week later) Having trouble getting a hold of BRP tech-Kept him on hold for 45 minutes.
4- Called 15 July and Most parts are in- Could be ready Tueday 20 July (I Hope!)
5- Back in service 3 August 2010-
I never want to break down 10 days before the 4th of July AGAIN in my lifetime!!!

musicarcade
07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Currently in the Shop since first week in June.
Finally had some progress last week when service dept. called to say that BRP thinks I need a new DESS.

Haven't heard an update this week yet.:popcorn:

Thanks for your assistance Lamont.
I appreciate Carlo's help as well.

DragonSpyder
07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
6 weeks for me. Excess belt tension caused bearings to fail and heat eventually caused oil pump to explode.... Need new case, and many new internals. "CHANGE YOUR BELT TENSION TO THE NEW SPEC"

Took 1 week before dealership could look at it. Took 2 weeks to get parts in. Only person in shop that could work on it went on vacation for a week. He came back and found that BRP shipped wrong bearings in the correct packaging. Overnighting parts as soon as they find them to continue.

spydrn
07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Mine has been sitting in the shop since the First week in April. My wife has been doing all the phone call to the dealer, since I am out of the country. Hell they havent even told me what the actuall problem is.. I told them it a DPS issue..But what can you can, but fix it. Bad part is my warrenty expires next month...

Longlegs
07-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I do have my scooter but a DPS has been backordered for me since June 29th. Is my post out of the scope you want to see here?

dvmdf
07-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Third week , waiting for ECM

412Spyder
07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Since June 9th for me. Dealer has been good but waiting for parts from can am is causing All the hold up. Hoping to have it back this week. My spyder has been in the shop for a total of 12 weeks since owning June 1st 2009. I have tried 3 dealers all being over 70 miles from me and it's always the same situation.

SpydaRyda
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
whats going on with all these back orders?? im making monthly payments on this thing and havent drove it at all this season!!! :gaah:

COOLMACHINE
07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Mine broke down on March 24. Took a month to get it into the shop. Finally got it out on July 7th. Rode it for two days then back into the shop on July 10th. Emailed Carlo on July 10th... but no response from him yet.
Thanks Lamont.

Questions
07-14-2010, 04:21 PM
I've been waiting since 1 June 2010 for a rear shock and air compressor parts. This is the second time this has happend since I got the Bike in the middle of May 2010. All though I am still riding my bike I would love to know how is really suppose to ride. Tired of riding a pogo stick:(

punji
07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Purchased RT Audio/Convenience SE5 on May 15. Towed it back to the dealer May 19 for oil leak. Got it back into my garage July 10. Took 54 days to replace a clutch cover gasket. That's probably a record for such a simple job. Service folks told me the same day that the airbag is worthless. Parts on backorder, and more downtime while that is being repaired. The dealer fell down on this job. But BRP also fell down by not pressuring the dealer. Two BRP cusomer service reps were completely ineffective. It's difficult to predict a happy future with this machine...:gaah:

Sny
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
09 se5 3 weeks for parts to fix clutch (finally got them yesterday!)

She's been ryding it the whole time, not sure if that's what you're looking for here.

tweeder
07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I think that people shouldn't be making there payments(prorated) for the time that its in the shop. Then they 'll listen with no money coming in.

Lamonster
07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Once again.

I would ask that those of you that are not on the list not start a debate or hijack this thread. :lecturef_smilie:

Yazz
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Spydee isn't in the shop, but we have major back order issues. Ordered a new temp. Sensora new frunk in th e middle of March. Still getting the run around on when they will be in. Feel lucky I'm not waiting on somthing more serious.

07-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I purchased my spyder in June 2009. I am a disabled vet (37) years, and needed a bike with 3 wheels and an automatic (SE5). I studied the Can-Am for 6 months and went into the dealer with my specs. After I ordered and payed cash for it I they found out you could'nt get a Spyder with every option available on a Phantom. It ended up that they put 2 bikes together (Red & Black). My registration say's my Phantom is red. After paying 30 grand + my bike's electrical system started continiously dieing. 1 week. Then it started backfiring on the downshift. 2 weeks. New exhaust system. Same problem, back to Hindle. Electrical problems again,another week. Wife takes bike on trip over 50 miles. Phone call at 8 in the morning, bike is DOA and in limp home mode half way there. 3 weeks in shop. After spending over 12 weeks in I call and find out the dealership permanently closed with my bike locked in. Got it back, same problem over 50 miles, (Vss Fault, DPS problem,check engine and skid possibility and limp home mode 45 mph.) Took trip to Florida and trailered the bike to a large dealership that took care of all the updates and recalls and they told us the Dps needed to be replaced. WE weren't there long enough for them to get the box in and headed back home,after I sold 2 bikes for them while I was in the showroom waiting. We got home found a dealership in Georgia 50 miles away and it spent a week there and while they were delivering it it broke down, 11 weeks there. Bringing it back it broke down, 12 more weeks,( the mechanic told me he had finished the 6 other bikes ahead of me and could now work on mine. I called that afternoon and he had quit. I talked to my neighbor across the street that I had talked into buying one and he was having major problems with his steering, and we decided to use a dealership in SC that is 70 miles away. They've tried to fix the problem and told me it was fixed but we had to go pick it up. It made it 45 miles and then backfired, quit ,went into limp home mode. 4 hours later at about midnight I finally made it home. It's done the same thing 2 more times and stranded my wife and I out 40 to 50 miles out. My wife won't even consider riding on it. Carlo won't return my calls any more, and the shop say's they won't do anything until he decides what to do. The bike has spent over 40 weeks int the shop over the first year. It has 2987 miles on it and over 1000 miles have been put on it by the repair shops. this last time the shop was enough to deliver it back by trailer. As he was backing it off the trailer it literraly fell off the trailer as I was watching. You guessed it. I made it to the gas station and with the usual crowd that it gathers,went to drive off into the dust, and that was exactly where it left me. at the pump,deader than a door knob.With the help of the crowd we pushed it over to the parking spot. I called the dealership, explained what happened and was promptly told that "IT RAN FINE WHEN IT LEFT HERE! I wastold the mechanic was standing next to him and to try the fuse box under the seat. As I saw the spark run across the battery to the fuse box (through my index finger!!!) and all the bystanders remarking as to how I lit up like a neon sign, one of the bystanders was talking into my mobile phone describing it all to the shop manager like a news reporter. Needless to say IT'S A LITTLE EMBARRASSING. I'm getting quite the reputation around my little town.:gaah::chill::helpsmilie:

spydrn
07-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Mine has been sitting in the shop since the First week in April. My wife has been doing all the phone call to the dealer, since I am out of the country. Hell they havent even told me what the actuall problem is.. I told them it a DPS issue..But what can you can, but fix it. Bad part is my warrenty expires next month...

Does anyone know if the bike is in the shop before the warrenty expires and is still in the shop after the warrenty expires, is it still covered?

murphybrown
07-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know if the bike is in the shop before the warrenty expires and is still in the shop after the warrenty expires, is it still covered?

You should be fine AS LONG AS you have written, documented proof from servicing dealer as to the issue, and the dates first addressed. My experience has always been with vehicles..had 1 issue that was serviced under warranty over a year after first addressed...

boborgera
07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
:mad::mad::mad:
Add another week to my first post [3 weeks now] ECM.
I bought a new Kawasaki 650 Wednesday so at least i have something to ride. :thumbup:

IWN2RYD
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Clearest way to say it... 64 days we waited for parts... 64.... So not to clutter up this thread I will just leave a link to my thread (Link) (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20097)And to be clear.. These are 64 days of the bike potential shop time waiting... They allowed me to take the bike home so I could at least have it here and put on my accessories. But our bike spent over 30 days in their shop as they ordered parts, parts had been faulty or not complete... We got upset and brought the bike home...

That link is all about BRP's lack of response of any kind for over 21 days... And a bike with to many issues... The time it took for them to acknowledge any issues, and "Back-order" lingo is really the core issue. Not that there had been any parts needing repair. That happens.

Not only that, but we actually had a few other issues that we felt are picky and have not addressed with them...

No sound from the GPS in our headsets
No power to the GPS when mounted n the GPS mount
LCD Dash-panel is now defective (Link) (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20991)
VERY squeaky brakes
Rear Luggage rack has to be Forcefully closed (Tried other RT's, they do not need anywhere near the same force)
Both rear brake lights have lost the three most center LED's... They do not light up anymore when applying the brake (I believe they do not light up in "Running mode as a normal function, but do when Brake is applied)

Anyway.... We are being well taken care of now that BRP has responded, and we could not be any happier with the way they have handled themselves... I only added the above info as an FYI and I am sure we would have had even more shop time in the end...

docdoru
07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
4 weeks as of yesterday for failed DPS #2. Spyder IS NOT in the service: who need a DPS to enjoy the ryde?!? :roflblack::ohyea::clap:

Donk45
07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Mine has been in the shop since Jun 30th. I dropped it off for the 9k mile maintenance (oil change), to install a juicebox, and because my brakes were squealing loud.

Been waiting over 2 weeks now....:gaah:

Coleman Powersports in VA

ArmyJoe
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
My power steering failure falls into the "dealers that can't seem to fix the problem" category. I've taken it in 4 times to 3 different technicians and have over a month in the shop.

First attempt at repair - 11/3/09 through 11/19/09 (replaced DPS)

Second attempt at repair - 11/28/09 (was turned away and was told: there's nothing left to replace, stiff turning is a characteristic of the Spyder, maybe it's the VSS kicking in)

Third attempt at repair - ? through 12/07/09 (adjusted the steering angle sensor and the steering torque sensor)

Fourth attempt at repair - 6/30/10 through 7/9/10 (tech reported no fault codes, no recalls, test ride OK, and gave it back)

It would seem that I fixed it myself.

Full thread here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15260

boborgera
07-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Well i guess i can come off the waiting list now, [3 WEEKS] Got the Spyder out of the shop this afternoon [ECM] rode it home 80+ miles seems to be running good?
I'm still not happy about waiting that long for a part.:dontknow:

spyder30517
07-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Mine was in for DPS replacement for 3 weeks. DPS on back order so I removed Spyder from dealer. From what I am told DPS unit is still on B.O. so DPS looking to be at dealer around mid August. So if I had left it there at dealer it would end up being about 8 weeks total. Ill keep updating - Im hoping they get part in sooner : )

Bersquack
07-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Well, I'm at about 2 months now and am supposed to pick my spyder back on Saturday, but who knows...

I hope it runs fine now because I already missed June and July.

musicarcade
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
My:spyder:is supposedly ready, but their driver is on vacation so they can't trailer the spyder to me until Tues. It's already been 7 weeks, what's another weekend?
:gaah:

DragonLorD
07-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Guys,
in my book it's exact the same, two weeks at most.
I bought my Spyder in Ireland as The first brand new, Irish registered Spyder. This was just about year ago. Bought it from Irish Agent of UK Dealership, same as other guys here in Green Country. Three months ago on my ride out my Spyder colapsed. It lost power almost in milisecond, horrible sound from engine or gearbox(like you shake tin half-filled with coins, all controls on left side of the gauge went balistic, all this happend in less then 10 seconds. I contacted Agent, he advised to not start the engine(obviously) and call Mondial(this is company covering 2 years standard warranty for Spyders in Europe). So i called Mondial, recovery van was with me whitin 30 minutes, Mondial called me back that bike has to be brought over to UK but because original Dealership, where my Spyder came from is gone, it was brought to other Dealership, which contacted me asking for proof of purchase and ownership because my Spyder is not in the BRP system and they can't carry any work on it till all boxes are ticked, because BRP will not cover it. OK so, i contacted Agent who i bought my Spyder from and he took care of it all. Three weeks later i called them, wondering why it's taking so long and they said that they didn't get going yet because BRP didn't authorize repair. I called Agent again, he thought that i calling him about my Spyder been back from service, he was almost as furious as i was because he sorted it out 3 weeks ago with BRP UK. Now he did it again and i called BRP myself and made sure is right now. If you think i got some apolgies, you are wrong. Next they Dealership called me that all boxes are ticked and they going ahead with repair. After another month(7weeks total, now) they called me that engine has to be replaced but BRP has to authorize first, another week later got BRP authorization and engine was ordered, another two weeks later - new story = engine will be repaired, parts need to be ordered and so on. Last time i heard from them was this saturday 24 th of July,in the morning, saying that machine is fixed, tested, perfect and they are going to get Mondial to collect machine and deliver back to me and they let me know later that morning when i can expect my Spyder back. Did not hear from them since, waited till 1 o'clock pm, checked with Mondial my self - they were not contacted at all, called dealership non-stop till 2pm when they closing and no one answered, left message, no one called me back. This is 13 weeks my Spyder in service, when you take 3 weeks of waiting for BRP's authorization down, it still 10 bloody weeks and not a one bloody word from BRP, nothing at all. Only person who ever bothers to comunicate with me is mechanic who looked after my Spyder. And now tell me what would you do if in my place?

spydrn
07-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Mine was in for DPS replacement for 3 weeks. DPS on back order so I removed Spyder from dealer. From what I am told DPS unit is still on B.O. so DPS looking to be at dealer around mid August. So if I had left it there at dealer it would end up being about 8 weeks total. Ill keep updating - Im hoping they get part in sooner : )

Well, as of Tuesday the July 27th mine is still in the shop for the DPS issue. Thats 16 weeks!! If I wasnt stuck over here in the sandobox I would of taken it out of the shop. This is really starting to get comicial..:gaah:. Its pretty bad a bike that is an 08 and less than 1700 miles, its just sitting arround collecting dust and pollen.. Im a little upset, but hell I cant ride it anyway since I am over here. Hopefully I wil be home in about 7 weeks. You think it will be ready by them...The things have been going so far, Im thinking no..:dontknow:

Questions
07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
My wife's Spyder has "Check DPS" alarm active. Took it to one dealer (name being with held) and was told that the DPS needed to be replaced and the parts were on back order. After waiting for four weeks, we pickup up her Spyder and took it to a dealership in Portland Oregon. She dropped it off last Wednesday. The service manager along with the wife got into a conference call with the manufacture. Long story short. Parts were to be shipped yesterday. Parts to arrive at dealership today. Parts to be installed tomorrow. :yes:Spyder to be picked up Tuesday. We will just have to wait and see.
Side note. When the crankcase on my Spyder was broken during an oil change by my local dealership, it took seven weeks to get the parts to rebuild the crankcase.

spyderryderaus
08-05-2010, 07:00 PM
First issue was a transmission error, back to the dealer 3 times for this, even though my dealer said exactly what they fixed on the final time was what would be fixed the first time it went back. My roadside assist was never processed by CanAm or the dealer so I had to pay towing. Dealer kindly refunded this after 6 months and my threat to take them to consumer affairs.
It ended up being the reverse light module installed for Australian standards was installed upside down and had corroded, not sure how being installed the opposite way is going to prevent water entering the electronics if it isn't a sealed module?? Great design.
It has now been returned again this week, check engine light, running really rough, less power than a 50cc scooter. I am yet to pickup, according to the mechanic it was a faulty ECM & brake sensor.
The great thing about this is that I am the only one in Australia hiring the Spyder and it is customers who were looking to buy a Spyder that this has occurred to. Do you think after less than a day's hire (<200km) and breaking down they are going to buy one? Mind you for AU$30,000.
Obviously the other thing I am unhappy about is the 3 weeks lost hire income on not just this bike but two bikes, the majority (80%) of my customers go with a mate, and the days out of my business to go and pickup the bike each time.

spyder30517
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Well my dealer finally received my new DPS unit after a 3 week wait on backordered DPS.
Took the Spyder in on Saturday afternoon - Picked back up Monday at noon.
I had ALL the body work off so I am sure this saved a few hours and made life easier for the techs.

Longlegs
08-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I do have my scooter but a DPS has been backordered for me since June 29th. Is my post out of the scope you want to see here?
My spyder was done on Aug 16, I am gonna try to pick it up tomorro.
I hope this fixes it for good.

Spyder Ryder
08-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I have had my spyder for two years and it stays in the shop. Last month it was in the shop for shifting problems and it was there for a whole month because of backordered parts. It is currently in the shop for the same problem and they have had it going on three weeks. Evertyime I put it in the shop it is never less than two weeks before I get it back.:gaah: