PDA

View Full Version : Killerbee's problem is awful

grumpybob
07-12-2010, 03:56 PM
and I hope them the best on getting back to normal.

Last Sunday, July 4th girl and I decided to go for a ride. Then decided to take her SUV. 2,000 miles and seven states later we came back home, this past Friday, with no problems.

I decided to stay within 200 miles of the house when I take the spyder out. Killerbee's problems just convinced me that I am making the right decision.

I can get my son to get my trailer and pick me up at 200 miles. So that is my safety net to save myself a lot of headaches.

Wish I didn't have to do it this way but I can live with it.

While on our drive We only saw one spyder. A red one in lexington VA. parked at the Va. Military Institute. Thought we would have seen more.

Went to Dolly Parton Stampede dinner theater in Pigeon Forge Tn. It was great.

Sarge707
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Since mine has been in the shop for over 2 weeks I am really thinking about that 5x8 trailer just to have around if I have to keep transporting it to the shop? :hun:With my luck I would buy and modify a trailer for the Spyder and then it runs PERFECT f:roflblack:or 50,000 miles!:roflblack:

grumpybob
07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Since mine has been in the shop for over 2 weeks I am really thinking about that 5x8 trailer just to have around if I have to keep transporting it to the shop? :hun:With my luck I would buy and modify a trailer for the Spyder and then it runs PERFECT f:roflblack:or 50,000 miles!:roflblack:

You might have the same luck as I do!!

Decided not to take my truck last week.

Just got back from picking it up at the dealer. 5,300 miles and brakes were seized up on both sides on the front. Good dealer, took it in this afternoon and they got it fixed for me by 5:00 pm.

Firefly
07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I've got plenty of long trips under my belt on the Spyder-- and plenty more to come. I don't think problems of being broke down while on the road are all that common. To let a handful of such horror stories keep you from ryding very far from home just doesn't work for me. You could have the same problem with any vehicle on the road while away from home.

That being said, I carry a box of spare parts when I'm going more than a few hundred miles from home. Parts that others have had problems getting in a reasonable amount of time... bearings... seals....sprocket.. sprocket bolt...oil sensor...drain plugs... etc. Will probably order a spare belt before going to Sturgis this year.

All are items I'll eventually need anyway.

I do this because the Spyder dealer network isn't (and probably never will be) as widespread as the other makes out there--- just gives me peace of mind.

freebob
07-12-2010, 05:34 PM
You might have the same luck as I do!!

Decided not to take my truck last week.

Just got back from picking it up at the dealer. 5,300 miles and brakes were seized up on both sides on the front. Good dealer, took it in this afternoon and they got it fixed for me by 5:00 pm.

Well that's a new one I haven't heard of anybody else having front brakes seizing up, Did dealer give any clues as to why that might have happened..
....freebob...:doorag:

grumpybob
07-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I've got plenty of long trips under my belt on the Spyder-- and plenty more to come. I don't think problems of being broke down while on the road are all that common. To let a handful of such horror stories keep you from ryding very far from home just doesn't work for me. You could have the same problem with any vehicle on the road while away from home.

That being said, I carry a box of spare parts when I'm going more than a few hundred miles from home. Parts that others have had problems getting in a reasonable amount of time... bearings... seals....sprocket.. sprocket bolt...oil sensor...drain plugs... etc. Will probably order a spare belt before going to Sturgis this year.

I do this because the Spyder dealer network isn't (and probably never will be) as widespread as the other makes out there--- just gives me peace of mind.

You are probably 100% correct. I will probably venture further as a get more comfortable with the spyder's dependability. Never had a vehicle that did not break down sooner or later.

Is it my imagination - thought Sturgis was being moved to Disney World?
Maybe it is in 2011??

Longlegs
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM

I gotta agree with you. I wouldn't let it stop me from doing it, but better to be prepared. I don't think I would take as much as you but it is a good list to ponder. Breaking down on the road is a real possibility and a contingincy plan for either waiting on repairs or getting back home should be considered. I have always worried about my truck breaking down while pulling my 5th wheel camper across the country.

musicarcade
07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I have been thinking my next Spyder mod might be a trailer hitch for my Subaru WRX Sportwagon.nojoke
My neighbor has a trailer he'd let me borrow if I needed it.

My trip to Chicago was cancelled due to :spyder:failure.
I'm trying again in September for Gatlinburg, assuming it's not in the shop.
Planning a trip to AZ in Sept 2011 if it finally runs like it's supposed to and I can get some confidence back.

In the meantime, the hitch seems appealing...

Firefly
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
You are probably 100% correct. I will probably venture further as a get more comfortable with the spyder's dependability. Never had a vehicle that did not break down sooner or later.

Is it my imagination - thought Sturgis was being moved to Disney World?
Maybe it is in 2011??

Nope--- still the same ol' Sturgis: http://www.sturgis.com/

Yazz
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM

:agree: Having the right tools on board gives alot of confidence to ryde the open road.

Have a HD that makes a point of throwing something off every 1k miles or so. Found many creative ways to get her back on the road.

Spydee has been very reliable. Never threw a part or left me stranded. Have a few long hauls in the works. Looking forward to them. Not fearing them. Life is too short to dwell on the 'what ifs.'

grumpybob
07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I have been thinking my next Spyder mod might be a trailer hitch for my Subaru WRX Sportwagon.nojoke
My neighbor has a trailer he'd let me borrow if I needed it.

My trip to Chicago was cancelled due to :spyder:failure.
I'm trying again in September for Gatlinburg, assuming it's not in the shop.
Planning a trip to AZ in Sept 2011 if it finally runs like it's supposed to and I can get some confidence back.

In the meantime, the hitch seems appealing...

My next mod should be to teach the girlfriend how to drive my truck with the trailer behind it. Then I can ryde the spyder, she can follow with the trailer.:2thumbs::2thumbs: Musicarcade - if you like horses Dolly Parton's stampede is great. Both the horses and the meal. You don't get any silverware to eat with. Cost us $100.00 for preferred seating for two thou.

boborgera
07-12-2010, 06:03 PM

??
Just wondering do you have a extra ECM in that box of spare parts?
My Spyder is in the shop two weeks waiting for one. O B O. :gaah:

grumpybob
07-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Well that's a new one I haven't heard of anybody else having front brakes seizing up, Did dealer give any clues as to why that might have happened..
....freebob...:doorag:

2010 ford F250 superduty. Dirt and rust in the pistons. Said Ford has having a lot of this problem on the 2010's. They are thinking about not using TRW parts due to it. First time I have had brake problems this early on any vehicle. Reset the average miles per gallon to see how my mileage goes. Was only getting 11.6 mpg. Hoping it gets a bit better now. I have a V10 in it.

boborgera
07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
2010 ford F250 superduty. Dirt and rust in the pistons. Said Ford has having a lot of this problem on the 2010's. They are thinking about not using TRW parts due to it. First time I have had brake problems this early on any vehicle. Reset the average miles per gallon to see how my mileage goes. Was only getting 11.6 mpg. Hoping it gets a bit better now. I have a V10 in it.

:clap:
My son had the 350 SD V10 he would been over come with joy with 11.6mpg.

grumpybob
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
:clap:
My son had the 350 SD V10 he would been over come with joy with 11.6mpg.

Wow. Have talked to a few reliable friends of mine that are getting 16+ mpg on the highway. They have always been honest with me... I will see what happens to my average now that the brakes are fixed.

How hard did he work it? I have 4:10 gears, did he also have 4:10's?

Just looked at the invoice and the brake pads were also stuck in the slides on both sides.

boborgera
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Wow. Have talked to a few reliable friends of mine that are getting 16+ mpg on the highway. They have always been honest with me... I will see what happens to my average now that the brakes are fixed.

How hard did he work it? I have 4:10 gears, did he also have 4:10's?

Just looked at the invoice and the brake pads were also stuck in the slides on both sides.

410's he doesn't ride too hard, my 150 SC with the 351 would not get anywhere near 16mpg. Now my Dodge hemi EC with 355,s will get highway 18/19 with me driving.

canam9
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
410's he doesn't ride too hard, my 150 SC with the 351 would not get anywhere near 16mpg. Now my Dodge hemi EC with 355,s will get highway 18/19 with me driving.
:agree::ani29:

NancysToy
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
It is always a possibility that you will break down and get stranded on a trip...either by motorcycle or by car/truck. Even busses and trains break down and cause delays. I have been held up by broken 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers alike. I was stranded on the highway with an open trailer hauling $40,000 worth of antique motorcycles once. Not good for your blood pressure! Even one of my BMWs let me down this weekend, but I was near our campsite, not miles from home...fortunately. I could easily have been miles from home.

IMO, your best bet is to always have a little emergency cash tucked away, and Plan-B in your mind. You know, "If I break down, how would I get home?" sort of thinking. It doesn't always go according to plan, but it does give you a head start in coming up with a viable solution sooner. It also helps to take every preventative measure possible. Check the oil, Ride-On in tires (or a compressor and repair kit), spare plugs, tools, etc. If you have to leave your vehicle at a dealer far from home for repair, or have a crash, remember that a bus or train may provide the cheapest transportation back home...or closer to home where someone can come and fetch you.

Every time you leave home, you take a risk. How much risk each of us feels he/she can handle, varies greatly. Take whatever precautions you feel are necessary, and set your risk limits within your own tolerance. I am always sorry to hear when people feel the need to reduce the radius of their travels due to vehicle limitations, health problems, family issues, or other things, but I think you have done what is right for you...and I respect that.

Firefly
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
??
Just wondering do you have a extra ECM in that box of spare parts?
My Spyder is in the shop two weeks waiting for one. O B O. :gaah:

Nope--- but if I did you would be welcome to it!

Sorry for your problems.... total bummer.

I would most likely have a different attitude had I had problems like killerbee or musicarcade has...

BajaRon
07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
and I hope them the best on getting back to normal.

Last Sunday, July 4th girl and I decided to go for a ride. Then decided to take her SUV. 2,000 miles and seven states later we came back home, this past Friday, with no problems.

I decided to stay within 200 miles of the house when I take the spyder out. Killerbee's problems just convinced me that I am making the right decision.

I can get my son to get my trailer and pick me up at 200 miles. So that is my safety net to save myself a lot of headaches.

Wish I didn't have to do it this way but I can live with it.

I guess I've never understood why people are so quick to own the problems others have had instead of reaching out for the enjoyment that the great majority experience.

Yes, KillerBee's issues are not good. I understand there have been others and, if you stick around, there will surely be more. I may even come up with a Spyder horror story myself on my next ride. There are no guarantees.

I've had cars, motorcycles, trucks (even fire trucks) break down on me. I still drive them all! (well, I've given up driving fire trucks).

My 750 Honda compleatly gave up on me just north of the Golden Gate bridge one morning (about 500 miles from home). I fixed it and put another 22,000 miles on it.

Motorcycles are about freedom, adventure and self reliance. Go for the gusto! If it doesn't turn out right you've got a life long memory to take with you next time! Chances are you won't have any problems to speak of.

Many SpyderLover's have been across this country in groupes and by themselves with nothing but dependable enjoyment? Why not go with that insead?

I guess it's all in perspective because we've all been exposed to the same information. It's all a matter of the mind. :ohyea:

bjt
07-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I guess I've never understood why people are so quick to own the problems others have had instead of reaching out for the enjoyment that the great majority experience...

+1

Lamonster
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
We all know that any vehicle can break down anywhere. I broke down big time on a fishing trip in Baja in a Jeep Cherokee in a very remote area and thought that I was going to die before we got any help. We did get help from some Mexican angels but after that day I promised myself never to get too excited about breaking down in the good ol USA again. I'm pretty sure I would not be left to die on the American highways.

I think I've been cross country three time on the Spyder and by myself. My last trip was over 9000 miles and I did have an issue toward the end of my run but I was blessed to have it happen while I was in Cow Town and Len took care of me.

I've had some sort of issue with every ride I've own and I have yet to have a shop put me on the back burner if I was from out of town. To me the real problem is not the fact that they broke down but that they broke down near such a uncaring dealer. I hope his karma runs over his dogma. nojoke

boborgera
07-13-2010, 12:03 PM
We all know that any vehicle can break down anywhere. I broke down big time on a fishing trip in Baja in a Jeep Cherokee in a very remote area and thought that I was going to die before we got any help. We did get help from some Mexican angels but after that day I promised myself never to get too excited about breaking down in the good ol USA again. I'm pretty sure I would not be left to die on the American highways.

I think I've been cross country three time on the Spyder and by myself. My last trip was over 9000 miles and I did have an issue toward the end of my run but I was blessed to have it happen while I was in Cow Town and Len took care of me.

I've had some sort of issue with every ride I've own and I have yet to have a shop put me on the back burner if I was from out of town. To me the real problem is not the fact that they broke down but that they broke down near such a uncaring dealer. I hope his karma runs over his dogma. nojoke

:mad:
I don't think it's the breaking down that worries most, [at least in my case] I have a back up plan, Two Sons with trailers.;)
It's when you do get it back to a dealer major parts are on back order!
And in my opinion those are parts that are failing quite often and BRP will not stock them, they'll just wait till they get a few orders then have them shipped from the parts manufacturer. That's BRP S. O. P. for any thing they sell. Not just the Spyder.

Firefly
07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
:mad:
I don't think it's the breaking down that worries most, [at least in my case] I have a back up plan, Two Sons with trailers.;)
It's when you do get it back to a dealer major parts are on back order!
And in my opinion those are parts that are failing quite often and BRP will not stock them, they'll just wait till they get a few orders then have them shipped from the parts manufacturer. That's BRP S. O. P. for any thing they sell. Not just the Spyder.

As long as there's Spyders sitting on dealer showrooms--- there's plenty of parts for them to use should they need to--- but will they is the question?

Didn't I read out here a few weeks ago that BRP is now approving dealers to borrow parts from floor models if they can't get them shipped quickly?

musicarcade
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I hope his karma runs over his dogma. nojoke

I haven't heard that in years!:roflblack:
My best friend had a poster back in the '80's that said "My Karma ran over your Dogma"

..One of my favorite lines!:D

boborgera
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Didn't I read out here a few weeks ago that BRP is now approving dealers to borrow parts from floor models if they can't get them shipped quickly?

:dontknow:
Maybe, But think about this, The dealer takes a part off a Spyder on his floor with no idea how long it's going take to get the new part. So until then he can't sell that Spyder. Also if he leaves that Spyder on the floor and somebody wants to buy it whats he going to tell that somebody, can't sell it to yet ,were striping parts off it, But when all the parts come in we'll put it back together and sell it to you, Don't think so. :shocked:
Also Don't think that's good for business :dontknow:
Now if it is a part that they really know they'll get quick [yea sure] that's a different story.

pitbull
07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Lamont, Dealers should do what ever it takes with in reason to get a broke down ryder back on the road, Harley does this and afew others.....its about doing the right thing, not whats the easyest,.....kinda goes back to the bible, do unto others as you'd have them do unto you! this has been around far longer than harelys fix a broken ryder policy.....If they need to yank parts off a bike to fix someone and brp does'nt have the parts instock do it! Brp if contacted and told whats going on will work with the dealer on the extra labor and costs, you just have to work with them.....its not about the money, its not going to be a money maker......warranty never is, but its whats right. I can understand if its the last rt or something but most dealers should have more than one, and BRP should be able to get them the parts on some kind os special shipping and express, to make it right on both ends....you just have to work with each other to make things right for all involved! as a whole we see very very little problems with the spyders, but there is a few small thing and 9 out of 10 times things are taken care of with easy.....man made it, it will break, but man can fix it to.........not meaning to get on a soap box but if your a dealer.......help your brother out, don't count the cost, it will be more than worth it in the end!!!

grumpybob
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Everybody made good comments about breakdowns and things to take along.

It is more about my mental state of mind than the spyder breaking down. I am happy with my spyder and plan to ryde it for a long time. I trust myself less than I trust it when it come to breaking down.

Thanks for all the responses.

bjt
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
...Brp if contacted and told whats going on will work with the dealer on the extra labor and costs, you just have to work with them.....its not about the money, its not going to be a money maker......warranty never is, but its whats right....

Man it's great to see a dealer say this. If all dealers had this attitude, probably 50% (or more) of those griping about the Spyder would be satisfied. I just think that so many businesses now days are so focused on the bottom line that customer service becomes an afterthought. :sour:

BajaRon
07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
As long as there's Spyders sitting on dealer showrooms--- there's plenty of parts for them to use should they need to--- but will they is the question?

I do not feel that dealers are obligated to strip a floor model to fix someones ride. But I know some will do it and I applaud them for it.

Alcoa Good Times in East Tennessee did that for me. It was very early in the DPS issue. After trying everything else it was confirmed that indeed, my DPS was dead. I'd already waited awhile and it appeared the wait was going to be extended. Alcoa Good Times took a brand new Spyder off the floor, ripped (gently I'm sure) the DPS out of it and put it into my Spyder.

This isn't conjecture or dealership hype. I saw the dismantled Spyder in the shop! They didn't even make a big deal out of it! But I was impressed!

Thanks again AGT's!

BajaRon
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
I guess I've never understood why people are so quick to own the problems others have had instead of reaching out for the enjoyment that the great majority experience.

+1

I guess I need to amend my statement a little bit. I do worry some about you two! :roflblack:

Zombo
07-13-2010, 07:00 PM
....I'm taking my brand new '09 RS on a 4500+ mile road trip starting next Tuesday. Going in a caravan with my two best friends, one with an Impala, the other with the Ram Hemi and trailer (we're hauling ATC's out for fun too!). If I break down, I have transport, and a trailer :)

That said, you gotta be prepared; either with a plan to transport yourself and your Spyder home to the web, or have enough time allotted for repairs (oh, and lots of cash/CC helps on that front). I was glad for roadside assistance with my motorcycle insurance when the battery on my Suzuki died in the middle of nowhere! :helpsmilie: