PDA

View Full Version : Back to the shop :(

COOLMACHINE
07-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Spyder back in the shop.... will not idle once it is warmed up. They initially thought it was the burnt spark plug wire when I first took in in months ago but that is not the problem. I was out riding it on the highway today and when I got off the highway and was sitting at the light, it started running rough again. wanted to die, no power to the engine, back firing terribly. I took it straight in to the shop and they hooked it up to buds but read no errors or codes. They did get to experience the problem first hand though. I am glad of that. They also told me that when the bike is hooked up to buds, they can press a button and only have 1 cylinder fire. The engine will keep running but do so roughly. Not the case with mine. It dies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an easy diagnosis but definitely have my doubts. Especially since buds shows nothing wrong.

BajaRon
07-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Spyder back in the shop.... will not idle once it is warmed up. They initially thought it was the burnt spark plug wire when I first took in in months ago but that is not the problem. I was out riding it on the highway today and when I got off the highway and was sitting at the light, it started running rough again. wanted to die, no power to the engine, back firing terribly. I took it straight in to the shop and they hooked it up to buds but read no errors or codes. They did get to experience the problem first hand though. I am glad of that. They also told me that when the bike is hooked up to buds, they can press a button and only have 1 cylinder fire. The engine will keep running but do so roughly. Not the case with mine. It dies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an easy diagnosis but definitely have my doubts. Especially since buds shows nothing wrong.

Can they select which cylinder they are killing with the BUDS? Sounds like you're losing 1 cylinder now. If they kill one and it dies they should try killing the other and see if it continues to run.

hawkiii
07-10-2010, 05:17 PM
When we were in Rapid CIty, SD we had some trouble with bad gas. Burned the plugs. The tech had BUDS hooked up and was able to run on either cylinder and using strictly BUDS he could not find a problem. I asked him to check the plugs and he agreed they looked burned. He replaced them and rode down the street. Said he couldn't tell a difference. When I rode down the street and back I knew right off the burnt plugs were the difference. Ran great the rest of the way home. Just a little info. Take from it what you will.

SpyderWolf
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Can they select which cylinder they are killing with the BUDS? Sounds like you're losing 1 cylinder now. If they kill one and it dies they should try killing the other and see if it continues to run.

That sounds logical to me as well. Hopefully you have a logical dealer that can troubleshoot things beyond just hooking it up to BUDS.

I am also sorry to hear this, as I thought you just got the Spyder out of the shop as well. :(

COOLMACHINE
07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Thats correct BajaRon. They can select which cylinder. I believe they said it is the rear cylinder.

COOLMACHINE
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
When we were in Rapid CIty, SD we had some trouble with bad gas. Burned the plugs. The tech had BUDS hooked up and was able to run on either cylinder and using strictly BUDS he could not find a problem. I asked him to check the plugs and he agreed they looked burned. He replaced them and rode down the street. Said he couldn't tell a difference. When I rode down the street and back I knew right off the burnt plugs were the difference. Ran great the rest of the way home. Just a little info. Take from it what you will.
All info is appreciated hawkiii.

Freddy
07-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Which exhaust pipe is the cooler of the two could be a hint? Use a spray bottle to squirt a jet of water on each.

Bersquack
07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow, I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like it would be more efficient and economical for BRP to simply replace your syper given all the problems you've had.

Good luck.

buckey48
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow, I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like it would be more efficient and economical for BRP to simply replace your syper given all the problems you've had.

Good luck.

:agree: Maybe a lemon law, if in the shop for the same problems.
It would make for good customer relations if nothing else.

NancysToy
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
It seems to be very difficult for these whiz-kid techs to diagnose ignition problems. They do not understand that as long as the spark is going somewhere, their diagnostics will not read a misfire. It is a gigantic pain to remove the front spark plug, so they don't even do a visual inspection. My RTS stymied my tech, too, but a new ignition system and ECM cured it completely. The actual offending component was actually never identified.

I worry about a technician who cannot even tell the difference in performance when a bad plug is replaced with a good one. I'm not sure he would recognize a fouled plug if he held it in his hand. I wouldn't bet the farm that the root of your problem has been found. Fouled or burnt plugs are usually just a symptom of another cause. If you lose a plug again, that is most certainly the case. I hope they can find your problem and resolve it.

musicarcade
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Good luck.

Take a number!;)

Wheeler~
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by hawkiii
When we were in Rapid CIty, SD we had some trouble with bad gas.

Try Beano and don't eat at that place again. Look at the bright side, great way to keep people of your A--. Literally. :roflblack:
Sorry.........couldn't help myself! :(

COOLMACHINE
07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Got my spyder back yesterday evening, 7-15-10. The rear spark plug wire was bad. Had a hole in it. Now this is just me thinking but when it was initially taken in for problems and they found a bad spark plug wire, maybe they should of checked the others as well.
Anyway, Got it back last night and it rode fine. rode it 8 miles to work today, also fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the wire was the issue. I'll keep you all posted.

musicarcade
07-16-2010, 03:08 PM
:congrats: on getting your Spyder back. I'm glad somone is getting their's back. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my :spyder: purchase.

Raptor
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Got my spyder back yesterday evening, 7-15-10. The rear spark plug wire was bad. Had a hole in it. Now this is just me thinking but when it was initially taken in for problems and they found a bad spark plug wire, maybe they should of checked the others as well.
Anyway, Got it back last night and it rode fine. rode it 8 miles to work today, also fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the wire was the issue. I'll keep you all posted.

Dude, this is great news. :2thumbs: Let's hope you can go through a nice time period with no problems and lots of fun and riding... or is that riding and fun... I think they are one and the same!! :D Happy riding!

SpyderWolf
07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Coolmachine, I am glad to hear you got your Spyder back and hope it runs trouble free for a long time for you now.

Musicarcade, I am very sorry to hear they still have your Spyder hostage at the dealership on your 1 year anniversary. :(

COOLMACHINE
07-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the nice posts everybody. Appreciate the advice, input, etc. Hope everybody get's their spyder back ASAP.
Gonna hit the highway Saturday for a while and see how it runs.

Smylinacha
07-17-2010, 07:22 AM
:2thumbs:
Cool - glad they found the problem!