PDA

View Full Version : steering recall

gjco
07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I have not had the recall done yet. I don't believe that I have had any problems with my power steering. I called the shop to make and appointment to have the update done and they told me that they need to order a new unit with out seeing the bike. Is it common to just replace the unit without knowing if there is a problem? They also told me that once I bring the bike in I have to leave it till the work is done because it is a safety issue. Now this makes no sence to me because I have not had any steering problems and they have not even looked at the bike to determine that I have any. what do you think I should do?

BajaRon
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I have not had the recall done yet. I don't believe that I have had any problems with my power steering. I called the shop to make and appointment to have the update done and they told me that they need to order a new unit with out seeing the bike. Is it common to just replace the unit without knowing if there is a problem? They also told me that once I bring the bike in I have to leave it till the work is done because it is a safety issue. Now this makes no sence to me because I have not had any steering problems and they have not even looked at the bike to determine that I have any. what do you think I should do?

That is a bit odd. On the other hand it may be they are planning ahead. Sometimes the steering issue does not manifest until the update is done. Not common but it does happen.

If the update does indicate a new DPS is needed and the dealer does not have one in stock then you're sitting stuck until the unit arrives.

Or, it may be the dealer just swaps out the DPS no matter what. Either way you're doing good as it is no cost to you.

patches
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, it is common. They are required to swap the part out as per BUDS online. Better get it on order..another one of those back order parts..they ordered mine, took 2 months to get in but I didn't have any problems before that. Will let you know what happens after they put it in with the new ECM, another back ordered part.

JJW SpyderRider
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I fully understand. It’s the LIABILITY! They know there is an issue with the steering thus the recall. If they inspect your Spyder and find it is covered under the recall and they let you drive off with it you could sue them for allowing you to continue to drive it if there is an accident. Seeing that you have not had an issue it was good for them to warn you rather than hold your ride hostage until the new unit came in.

BajaRon
07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes, it is common. They are required to swap the part out as per BUDS online. Better get it on order..another one of those back order parts..they ordered mine, took 2 months to get in but I didn't have any problems before that. Will let you know what happens after they put it in with the new ECM, another back ordered part.

Really? They didn't swap mine out and they didn't swap Lamont's out either. Same dealer for both of us but still. You'd think it would be same-same for everyone.

boborgera
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Really? They didn't swap mine out and they didn't swap Lamont's out either. Same dealer for both of us but still. You'd think it would be same-same for everyone.

:dontknow:
When i had the recall done they just put it on a computer 10/15 minutes later i was out of the shop and riding.

Questions
07-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I also waited for the 1st and 2nd update. I didn’t have any steering problems and with all the controversy going on I didn’t want to mess up my Spyder. I did have however, strong fuel smell (especially when running in hot weather) and not so smooth running engine at 4-5,000 rpm. I went ahead and had the recalls done a month ago. The power steering improved slightly, but the big difference was on the engine smoothness. No more gas smell and very smooth at 4-5,000 rpm. I’m very happy with the updates as my Spyder truly ruins like a well oiled machine. It took 20 minutes to complete the updates. (2008 model)

BajaRon
07-09-2010, 02:37 PM
It just does not make sense to replace a good DPS. Money or time wise. I'd be surprised if BRP was putting new DPS units in with every update.

Sarge707
07-09-2010, 03:55 PM

I would tell them to call you when the part comes in and then set up a firm date to have it brought i n and done!! While you wait!!!!!!!!!!
nojoke

GeminiJane
07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I would tell them to call you when the part comes in and then set up a firm date to have it brought i n and done!! While you wait!!!!!!!!!!
nojoke
Sounds like a plan but when I needed to just have a leaky gasket replaced on the reservoir on the handlebars, my dealer (who is a little over two hours away) told me that I would have to bring the bike in and leave it BEFORE they ordered the warranty part and leave it until the part came in and was repaired. I believe it's due to the fact they have to order a warranty part based on VIN # of bike so that the paperwork matches when they file for reimbursement. The "leaving" it part falls under the liability issue...if we know/suspect a problem exists, can't let you ride it until said problem is fixed or you might sue us. As a Spyder ryder it's a major inconvenience, but having owned and run a business for many years, I can understand the liability issues from the dealership's side, too.

spyder_RT
07-10-2010, 10:58 AM
The dealer I go to orders the parts then I bring the bike in and wait for it to be done. They have just ordered the trans update for my RTS SE5 and all but one part is in and I still have my bike.

gjco
07-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I took my spyder to another dealer or should I say a better dealer. The updates are done and No new parts. On the ride home the P/S seemed better and the spyder ran about 1000 RPM lower @ 70MPH all in all I think it runs a little bit better. They fixed my brake light problems. Turns out a mouse chewed the wires. it cost me $100 to fix the wires.

Longlegs
07-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Mine had the software update done after having the steering issue. The DPS was not replaced at that time. The steering worked fine after that for a while. But then it started acting different, no assist and choppiness in turns, so now I am waiting on BRP (Backordered Repair Parts). But I do still have my machine.

NancysToy
07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Your dealer made a mistake. Maybe they are being cautious, due to other problems they have seen, or maybe they just didn't understand that you just needed to have the recall completed, and have not had steering problems. I would talk to them again.

The steering recall ("first update") involves only a software (BUDS) update to several modules. This can cause new problems in some Spyders, especially those with intake/exhaust system modifications, or with a previous history of gas smell. It can also cause problems if performed incorrectly, and without following the exact installation procedure, or without doing the required follow-up sensor zeroing. The engine performance update ("second update") addresses the the performance issues from the recall update. This work also involves extension and rerouting of the emissions system canister vent for some VIN#s. That requires a kit, that must be ordered. The dealer can order it up front, but many will not do so, for whatever reason.

I hope you can get the work done in a reasonable manner. Talk to the owner of the dealership, if necessary.

Spyderman01
07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I have a 2009 that I bought last August, I called the dealer last week and gave him my name and he said all the updates were done before I bought the bike. I have had no problems at all, so I am figuring I am fine?

gjco
07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I talked with that dealer 3 different times and each time I have talked with them I walked away not feeling comfortable. They really didnt seem like they knew what they were talking about and would rather go back to BSing than take the time to gain a new customer. That said I found a new dealer and will gladly drive an hour farther to deal with them.

BajaRon
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a 2009 that I bought last August, I called the dealer last week and gave him my name and he said all the updates were done before I bought the bike. I have had no problems at all, so I am figuring I am fine?

If you've had the updates and no problems then you should be good to go! :thumbup:

For the most part they were computer data input/processing changes to make the Spyder run and steer better.

Spyderman01
07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
The service guy did say that I should come in and have the drive belt checked with their $800 tension/pitch machine, anyone know about that? I have 5500 miles on the bike and tightened the belt when I first bought it as it was whining while decelerating at 20mph and after I tightened it the whining stopped.

Firefly
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
The service guy did say that I should come in and have the drive belt checked with their $800 tension/pitch machine, anyone know about that? I have 5500 miles on the bike and tightened the belt when I first bought it as it was whining while decelerating at 20mph and after I tightened it the whining stopped.

You for sure should go get your belt tension checked. They reduced the recommended tension some time ago---- so go get it checked.

-------------------

On the steering/DPS update--- it may be that with certain bikes (earlier 2008) they are just calling for new DPS units now.... :dontknow:.. dunno.

I read out here a few weeks ago that the dealers are now instructed to 'borrow' parts from floor models if the part cannot be acquired in quick manner from BRP.

I would schedule a timeframe and let your dealer know they will be allowed to keep your Spyder for so many days for the fix and no longer-- so they better not schedule you if they cannot deliver!

BajaRon
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM

:agree: with FireFly. You should definitely get the belt tension checked. Spyders used to come too tight and were eating axle bearings (not to mention harder on the other drive components).

The fact that you tightened it is even more a reason to get it checked. Just because the 'Whine' went away doesn't mean the tension is correct. You would be better of knowing for sure.

Spyderman01
07-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I took your guys advice and drove to my dealer this morning to get the tension checked. After a 40 minute wait the tech comes to me and says their tension meter isnt working and they dont have another.........He said he will call me after they check with BRP as to what they need to do. He said the tension seems ok by looking at it visually, so he said to keep driving it and I should be ok for now.

BajaRon
07-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I took your guys advice and drove to my dealer this morning to get the tension checked. After a 40 minute wait the tech comes to me and says their tension meter isnt working and they dont have another.........He said he will call me after they check with BRP as to what they need to do. He said the tension seems ok by looking at it visually, so he said to keep driving it and I should be ok for now.

Sounds like it's time for a Krikit II!