PDA

View Full Version : In-progress Handlebar Mod

SSG Bean
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I previously had the Spyder City 3" riser block, but still found myself leaning forward a bit too much. The height was alright, but I needed some pull-back. I looked at the other options on the market, but none of them really struck my fancy. I decided I wanted to go with a different set of bars, but I didn't want to have a large console in the middle of things. Here's the process I'm currently in.

Step 1: Relocate the ignition.

Step 2: Mount some decent looking bars.

Step 3: Mount a decent looking cover for the handlebar mount.

I've completed steps one and two. However, I still need to find something that will look good covering the stock mount. I will probably try to find a billet block for a different bike and just mount it over the other mounting bracket for aesthetic value only.

In the pictures, you'll see how I drilled the frame to relocate the ignition key. It works out perfectly and is mounted solid. It also frees up some room for other cables and wires to pass through, so it doesn't bind when I steer from lock to lock. Let me know what you think so far. I'll get better pics once I've completed the project.

kismaokole
07-09-2010, 02:32 AM
That looks great. Can't wait to see what you will come up with to hide the cables under the handlebar. Good luck on your mods. Stay safe and tell the servicemen thank you.

xpeschon
07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Nice touch brother..

X-Joe

IWN2RYD
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
OK.. Straight up... That is beautiful! I am not a fan of the bulky silver hunk in the middle from the factory. Quite honestly it is the only item I do not like the look of on the RS...

You have created a beautiful look with your work. If I get an RS this is going to be one of the first changes I will make. Thank you for posting this !!!! :ohyea::2thumbs::clap::bowdown::firstplace:

P.S. Not to mention the whole new world you just opened up for mounting other "Stuff"

tatt2r
07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
how do you like it without front fenders .... does a lot of road dust hit you ?

DynamoBT
07-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I like it! This is just about the antithesis of what's on my Spyder with it having the heli-bar riser on it. But then again, I'm not handy like you obviously are. The heli-bar riser if functional. But that's about all.

Nice work!!

SSG Bean
07-09-2010, 03:27 PM
how do you like it without front fenders .... does a lot of road dust hit you ?

I haven't been hit by any debris, and there is no dust or rocks that make it to face level. I haven't ridden in heavy rain, but the light rain still isn't a problem.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice comments. I looked today at a couple of bike shops, but still haven't found anything to use as a cover for the factory mounting bracket. I'll keep searching.

tweeder
07-09-2010, 11:58 PM
What handlebars are they? And where to get them?

SSG Bean
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
What handlebars are they? And where to get them?

I found my bars on ebay. You can choose from any 7/8 inch that have rise and pullback that will work with the stock cables and wires. If you do need longer cables, Kewlmetal sells them. I wouldn't go any greater than around six inches of rise and a couple inches of pullback. Someone else on here may have a better idea of the limits for the stock cables.

Obviously, you can adjust the bars back and forth to find the sweet spot that works for you. I'm very happy with how mine worked out. I don't have the stock measurements, but looking at the Spyder City 3" riser versus my current setup, I gained almost another inch of rise and a couple inches of pullback.

And since I like pics, here are more pics that show off the bars a little more clearly.

CRUCIFIED
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
The bar goes really well with the rims. Good work.:2thumbs: