PDA

View Full Version : Travels

BigTspyderGA
07-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok so here is the deal. I have had my Spyder SE5 for about 18 months. I have only put about 1800 miles on it. I have never been more than 50 miles at any time. I just tool around in North GA. I am stepping out of my comfort zone here and actually riding up to Gatlinburg. The question is how well do the Spyders do on a long haul at one time? It's about a 180 mile ride.

boborgera
07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Ok so here is the deal. I have had my Spyder SE5 for about 18 months. I have only put about 1800 miles on it. I have never been more than 50 miles at any time. I just tool around in North GA. I am stepping out of my comfort zone here and actually riding up to Gatlinburg. The question is how well do the Spyders do on a long haul at one time? It's about a 180 mile ride.

:thumbup:
180 Miles no problem, you might even be able to do that on one tank of gas, Enjoy yourself 180 miles is a cake walk. :2thumbs:

murphybrown
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Perception is everything (in my opinion, that is!!!). 180 miles? Just getting out of the driveway (in my opinion). You can just break it down into 50 mile segments and there you are totally in your comfort zone. Heck I have to go 165 miles one way to dealer. 78 miles to nearest town bigger than my 1 stop lite town where I live. So suit up: Mount up and RYDE baby RYDE...:2thumbs:

ARtraveler
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
You will find after a while that all day trips (600-1000 miles) are very doable. Until you build up some seat stamina, take a break every 60 miles or so. Take time to stop and smell the roses, take pictures, etc. We usually take a break between 75-100 miles maximum.

bjt
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I agree with the previous posts. If you've been reading all of the posts the past few weeks, you'd have read about quite a few high mileage Spyders out there. My wife and I put about 15,000 miles on our Spyders per year and we are still way behind the mileage that many others have put on their Spyders. Probably 70% of the people who attended the Chicago event had to ride farther than 180 miles to get there. There is tons of evidence of the Spyders qualifications for distance riding in some of the posts on SpyderLovers.
:2thumbs:

jnt
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
First trip for W on her Spyder was 150 miles each way - on the stock seat! Next trip was another 3 hours one way, then did 5 1/2 hours home in one shot. Ok, that was with the Russell seat.

Spyders do great on trips!!

bruceofthebronx
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I will probably head up that Thursday, maybe we can meet and ride together? PM me if u r interested in heading up?

FANG
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Agree with all the above too. Have done 650 mile is 10 hours - just take frequent breaks. we have rydes about once a month and usually do 150 or more on the rydes. Have fun and put some miles on that spyder.

GeminiJane
07-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Don't know if anyone else experiences this, but for me, whether on the Spyder or one of my other bikes, I hit a spot after about 30-40 minutes that my back and shoulders feel a bit tight and have a minute of thinking that it may not be a good riding day. Then five minutes later it seems to pass and the next 100 up to 500 or so are a piece of cake. So your 50 mile rides may not be as comfortable as the 180 mile one. Since you still have 2 months, though, you might consider getting out and pushing through to 100 miles or so just to be sure all is well - seat comfortable, leg/foot position, etc. so that you have time to make some decisions, even if it's as simple as a sheepskin on the seat, a different pair of riding boots, or whatever. It always feels better to take off on a trip knowing you've covered most of the "possibilities". Then if you schedule your time to allow for a 10 or 15 minute gas break and walk around, you should be just fine. Look forward to seeing you at Gatlinburg.