PDA

View Full Version : Trailer price

MangoMike
07-03-2010, 06:57 PM
BRP lists the trailer at $4000, the hitch at $500. On top of this I understand there's a wiring harness and installation costs. About how much am I looking at in total to buy the trailer and have everything installed? My dealer tells me that installing the hitch and wiring harness is a pretty big job, so labor will be costly. When all this is done, there's taxes, title and license plate. Anyone have an idea of how much I'm looking at in total (my tax rate is 7%)?

Thanks,

Mike

dave01
07-03-2010, 07:02 PM
BRP lists the trailer at $4000, the hitch at $500. On top of this I understand there's a wiring harness and installation costs. About how much am I looking at in total to buy the trailer and have everything installed? My dealer tells me that installing the hitch and wiring harness is a pretty big job, so labor will be costly. When all this is done, there's taxes, title and license plate. Anyone have an idea of how much I'm looking at in total (my tax rate is 7%)?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, No extra wiring harness. It comes with the hitch kit. Its a 2 hour job to wire it up, a 15 min job to install the hitch itself. You should be able to work a deal with 4 Spyder dealers in such a close area. Work them against each other. Thats how I do it. Should be able to work the install in for free with the hitch and trailer purchase. I have seen this done.

widowmaker2011
07-03-2010, 09:30 PM
......Work them against each other. Thats how I do it. ........

......And then when you need warranty work or a special favor who do you go to after they have been beat up? How about going to a dealer that offers good service and items at a fair price versus beating them to the lowest margins. My dealer bends over backwards for me and is there when I need him. I know darn well he wouldn't be able to do the stuff he does if I beat him down like that every time. Plus I believe a personal relationship with a dealer FAR outweighs whatever savings you get beating up 4 dealers. Customer / Dealer relationships are 2 way streets and if you take the time and instead of beating those 4 dealers to death for a bottom line price, go in and speak to them upfront about service, their business, their family, and you'll learn they are like you and me and I sure as hell don't like people using me to gain a better price elsewhere. In most businesses they are called "shoppers", customers that will leave you for a buck but want the world from you. Once you get to know all of them , pick one that you feel comfortable with and do business with him. Ask him for a good deal , certainly don't roll over and pay more than you should but be reasonable. You won't be sorry. None of those dealers feel very good about it after they get used against another guy and I doubt they are gonna stick their neck out for a customer afterwords in that scenario. Just my opinion but with a product with some quirks like the RT, dealer relationships trump a hundred bucks or so any day. This Counterpoint was not to be taken personal, but I have been beat up all week by people that have done just this....drive me to my lowest price on my product where I am barely making enough to waste my time and then take my price and go several other places to see if the deal can be beat, then back to me later saying , I have a issue with said product and dealer "b"who I got it from is backed up 3 weeks in service cuz he doesn't have enough techs, can you help me?" ) :cus: (Which I do , because I'm trying to earn business but then same customer does this the next time he needs the product again, its just a certain type of buyer that never sees value , but looks for what he perceives as value.)

And to answer the original question , the dealer has about 500 dollars in profit on the trailer at full retail and about 150 on the hitch. The install is time consuming , he is not kidding (The hitch is fast the wiring is a couple hours) . I will not tell you what you should pay but if I were buying , I'd try and swing a deal with a good dealer I liked and trusted of about 3750 for the trailer(he makes 250) , 400 for the hitch (he makes 50) and say 80 bucks to install it.(2 hours at 40) He makes about 380 total on that deal and then pays labor to his tech of about 40 bucks flat rate so his profit is 340 , of course he paid shipping , floorplan interest on his parts inventory and the trailer, so thats not a great home-run deal for him at that price but its where I would start. :doorag:

dave01
07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
......And then when you need warranty work or a special favor who do you go to after they have been beat up? :doorag:

Any of 3 dealers that I have purchased from in the past, with no regrets whatsoever. Its called shopping for the best price and the best service. Sorry, but here in Fl, but maybe not other places right now, the dealers are not selling stuff quickly and are really willing to work with customers.

widowmaker2011
07-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Any of 3 dealers that I have purchased from in the past, with no regrets whatsoever. Its called shopping for the best price and the best service. Sorry, but here in Fl, but maybe not other places right now, the dealers are not selling stuff quickly and are really willing to work with customers.

Dave- I get it , I just know how hard most dealers work to build a loyal owner base and sometimes it bugs me when I hear phrases like work them against each other. Its just been a long week , don't take it personal. Hopefully one of those dealers will earn your loyalty in some way so you wont have to shop him against others everytime. :2thumbs: Theres nothing better than to hear a customer say "That dealer takes such good care of me , I would never go anywhere else"

dave01
07-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Dave- I get it , I just know how hard most dealers work to build a loyal owner base and sometimes it bugs me when I hear phrases like work them against each other. Its just been a long week , don't take it personal. Hopefully one of those dealers will earn your loyalty in some way so you wont have to shop him against others everytime. :2thumbs: Theres nothing better than to hear a customer say "That dealer takes such good care of me , I would never go anywhere else"

LOL, gotcha. I do have one that I go to for all of my service work and Spyder stuff., but I shop at the others for different things. One sells Suzuki, so they get my business for the bike and quad, one for the Spyder and one for the accessories since they have everything in stock such as helmets,gloves, jackets. With the Spyder, I stayed with my primary dealer because they helped me thru the 3 DPS changes and change to the RTS. They even went as far as to call BRP to get them to sell a demo unit well before any were allowed to be sold. They just dont have an accessory/parts inventory and I am one of those impulse buyers when it comes to extras...LOL

TicketBait
07-03-2010, 10:51 PM
well I just purchased my trailer from the same dealership that I bought the RT. I got the trailer,

hitch, tax(9.25%) registration (5 years) and installation for $4700. They made some and I am one happy camper.

However the spare tire and cover I ordered from the dealership in North Florida. They had the best price

on the trailer and hitch but could not ship.

Best scenario if I Lived in Florida was $3375+tax+ installation. This was from a dealerships on line web

site. I have purchased over 3k of can-am and Nolan helmet equipment. from them and saved

35%. thats like almost a $1000 bucks. (off topic) Heck there is a company called extremesupply.com that

matches this companies prices on stuff they carry. I have listed this Florida web site so many

times I don't wanna get accused of sponsoring them. So pm me if u don't know whoI am talking about.;)

MangoMike
07-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Good information guys, thanks for your help. Based on this input I have decided on a price and when I'm ready to buy, will make an offer to my dealer, who has been very good to me so far.

I am all for my dealer making a fair profit, but I also want a fair price. This keeps us both happy.

Mike

fastfraser
07-04-2010, 06:02 AM
:thumbup: If you don't dicker you'll pay sticker !

canam9
07-04-2010, 06:20 PM
:thumbup: If you don't dicker you'll pay sticker !
:agree::ani29:

punji
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Mango Mike --

Title and tag will cost you $59.90. Those are state fees so they'll be the same as in St. Augustine. Cost of the trailer is widely variable. My dealer added $150 transportation charge, $128 dealer prep -- probably to help cover cost of assembly -- and an "administrative fee" of $239. The trailers arrive in a crate but not in one piece so there is probably going to be a prep charge. I've seen the price of the hitch @ $450. I'd tell you what I paid, but I don't know. The trailer and hitch were part of a package offer I made to the dealer for the RT SE5 AC, trailer, hitch and mounting. I have 2 bills of sale. One says the trailer was $3799 and the other says $4927. Tax is noted at $273, which matches neither sale price. The shifting numbers are a function of the beancounters juggling the numbers to reduce profitability on paper, I guess.

The trailer is finally in my garage. Too bad I don't have an RT to hitch it to :cus:

BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS BAD WORDS

Wheeler~
07-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I shop the sticker and I shop the service. He who deals best and services best gets my business. It's how I saved $2300 on my Spyder and why I travel so far for service. The dealer I bought from told me they sell more units and make more because they do. Dealerships are not a grocery store where the price you see is what you pay and service is finding the mechanic/s who know his/their stuff. IMHO