PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Conversion for Handicapped?

vendit
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I have a friend who does not have the lower part of his right arm. He is interested in the Spyder, but would need to make some modifications. He currently snowmobiles, and uses a thumb type throttle that is actually finger actuated, and has been mounted on the left hand grip.

Does anyone have any suggestions for him as to how he could modify the throttle on a spyder to the left side, and possibly something other than a twist throttle?

The other question would be the use of the clutch AND the throttle on the left side, unless he bought a semi-auto.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

QualityCap
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I own a 2009 SE-5. I have my right arm amputated at the elbow. My throttle is on the left grip and is the standard twist type. The SE-5 is a semi-automatic with a paddle shift on the left handle grip which you shift up with your thumb and down with your forefinger. Very basic modification to a standard purchase. I have no problom riding.
Cap

vendit
07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I own a 2009 SE-5. I have my right arm amputated at the elbow. My throttle is on the left grip and is the standard twist type. The SE-5 is a semi-automatic with a paddle shift on the left handle grip which you shift up with your thumb and down with your forefinger. Very basic modification to a standard purchase. I have no problom riding.
Cap

Were you able to use the stock throttle, and change the direction of the cable pull, so that you still twist down to accelerate?

I was also curious if you have to have a cycle endorsement in your state, and if you do, did you have any problem getting one with your handicap?

I appreciate any info you can give me, so I may pass along to my friend!

QualityCap
07-03-2010, 04:21 PM
My throttle twist is in the regular rotation. You will need to get the the assembly that the throttle wire connects to for the left handle bar. It is available, but my dealer ordered it. I don't remember the part name. You will have to keep the part for the right handgrip in case you want to ever sell your machine, this way you can move the throttle back to the right side. Connecticut does require a motorcycle endorsement and I have had no issue with it. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.
Cap

Henning
10-01-2010, 01:36 PM
My throttle twist is in the regular rotation. You will need to get the the assembly that the throttle wire connects to for the left handle bar. It is available, but my dealer ordered it. I don't remember the part name. You will have to keep the part for the right handgrip in case you want to ever sell your machine, this way you can move the throttle back to the right side. Connecticut does require a motorcycle endorsement and I have had no issue with it. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.
Cap

Hey,

I'm new here, do you have any chance to find out where I can order the assembly that the throttle wire connects to for the left handle bar?

Thanks

hook86
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Does anybody have any more info on this conversion. Just bought a 2012 Spyder RT-S se5 love to chaNGE THROTTLE OVER TO THE LEFT.

SpyderAnn01
03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
:welcome: one of our Spyderlovers had a left footed gas pedal installed on her RS. She went to a company that does handicap vehicle conversions.

hook86
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Qualitycap is your throttle cable or electric? Would like to see pictures of your conversion if possible.

hook86
04-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I have bought a 2012 RTS SE-5. I am now wanting to move the throttle to the left hand because i lost my right arm in a mill accident 26 years ago. My current ride i bought after my aciddent is a 1977 CB 750A Hondamatic that i converted over . Was easy because it is a cable system. My dealer is not to excited about doing the conversion because of the liability asspect, can not say i blame them. So am looking for any info on doling this myself if i have to . Want to continue riding but am getting kinda old (56). Any help would be great.
:spyder2::spyder2::yes: