PDA

View Full Version : BUDS code P0170 - Lambda regulation: Oxygen Sensor Functional Problem.

groundeffect
07-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Hey guys.

I had my Dealer check the Valves for the first time, but I suspect I will do them myself next time.

While in the shop, they checks my Spyder using BUDS and found only one code which occurred 16 different times:

SEE ATTACHED IMAGE - The FIRST annotated section is the code/description that showed up in the BUDS report:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=10620

CODE: P0170:
DESCRIPTION: Lambda Regulation: Temporary Adaptation +/- %
CAUSE: Oxygen Sensor functional problem.

I am wondering if this could have been caused by the couple hundred km I put on my Spyder while coming home from a ride, with a blown exhaust gasket. I noticed the exhaust gasket worn through (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20774) on the way home.

Once the new gaskets were installed, the mechanic used the BUDS tests as suggested in the manual and it was fine, and did not through another code. :thumbup:

Cheers and thank you in advance for any input.
Cheers from Newfoundland!
Dean

docdoru
07-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Your mechanic is right: "Lambda Regulation" error codes occurred due to failed "Y" gasket(s) or using aftermarket O2 modifier (Aerocharger or Evoluzione). :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Your mechanic is right: "Lambda Regulation" error codes occurred due to failed "Y" gasket(s) or using aftermarket O2 modifier (Aerocharger or Evoluzione). :thumbup:

Doc, does this mean you will always see these codes if you use one of the O2 modifiers? I am seriously considering getting the Evoluzione one, but want to make sure it is not going to cause any other problems.

docdoru
07-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Doc, does this mean you will always see these codes if you use one of the O2 modifiers? I am seriously considering getting the Evoluzione one, but want to make sure it is not going to cause any other problems.
While in service ask the mechanic to clear periodically that code.

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 05:58 AM
While in service ask the mechanic to clear periodically that code.

:2thumbs:

Thanks Doc, that sounds like a plan to me. This must be one of those ones that does not display a message across the display, so no real worry then.

docdoru
07-01-2010, 06:09 AM
:2thumbs:

Thanks Doc, that sounds like a plan to me. This must be one of those ones that does not display a message across the display, so no real worry then.
Only in B.U.D.S. At one time they show 14,232 errors Lambda related...:opps:

NancysToy
07-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I am wondering if this could have been caused by the couple hundred km I put on my Spyder while coming home from a ride, with a blown exhaust gasket. I noticed the exhaust gasket worn through (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20774) on the way home.an
More likely happened each time you started it (cold) after the exhaust gaskets were blown, not during the long ride. Not a problem, but to a sharp tech it can be an indicator of blown Y-gaskets.

fastfraser
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
More likely happened each time you started it (cold) after the exhaust gaskets were blown, not during the long ride. Not a problem, but to a sharp tech it can be an indicator of blown Y-gaskets.

What is this you talk of " sharp tech " :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Sorry couldn't resist. I know there are some good Techs out thier.

Magic Man
07-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Cold start up? No.

Come on scotty surely you know that O2 feedback requires the bike to be in "closed loop" operation, which does not happen on a cold engine.

Also, the O2 sensor does not begin to produce a signal until the O2 gets to about 700 degrees, and even with the heated O2 sensors like the Spyder has it still takes a bit to get there.

Most likely it was from "fresh air" being drawn into the pipe at the leak causing the O2 to see it as too lean for too long, or so the computer thinks. :thumbup:

MM

NancysToy
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Cold start up? No.

Come on scotty surely you know that O2 feedback requires the bike to be in "closed loop" operation, which does not happen on a cold engine.

Also, the O2 sensor does not begin to produce a signal until the O2 gets to about 700 degrees, and even with the heated O2 sensors like the Spyder has it still takes a bit to get there.

Most likely it was from "fresh air" being drawn into the pipe at the leak causing the O2 to see it as too lean for too long, or so the computer thinks. :thumbup:

MM
:opps: OK, what I meant was it is more likely "coming off cold"...as the sensor transitions, as opposed to continuous recorded faults, as you ride. I was trying to turn off a new leaf, and not write a book. :roflblack: BTW, just because the programming does not take the O2 sensor into account under cold start conditions, does not mean that the system does not monitor the sensor condition when cold...it merely ignores it from a fuel mixture standpoint.

Magic Man
07-01-2010, 09:51 AM
:opps: ...it merely ignores it from a fuel mixture standpoint.

You got to finish the sentance......

.. and will therefore will not trigger a code based on it's readings while in open loop.

MM

groundeffect
07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Guys, I really appreciate the replies on this. I tracked the exhaust and found the blown gasket and was pretty confident that was the case with the extra heat and fumes on the right side. The tech confirmed this, and as per the picture, so all is good now after the new gaskets went in.

I'm happy to see the errors are not showing up now in BUDS. I did a 100km ride yesterday evening and tested the gasket replacement. All seems well and no extra heat or fumes on that right side. They replaced all three gaskets - the right, left and y, gaskets.
:thumbup:

Thank you again, everyone! Very helpful!
Dean