PDA

View Full Version : Right Side Exhaust Gasket (pre-maturely worn) - Warranty?

groundeffect
07-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Hey there guys.

Just rolled over 9,000km on my Spyder and coming back from a beautiful long 350km ride I noticed my right leg (around the knee area) was getting unusually hot and the exhaust was getting louder, particularly from that right side.

Long story short, I removed the panels and traced the exhaust system to find a leak of fumes and heat, and noise from the right slip-joint of the exhaust system.

The shop manually, which I use a good bit, shows it is the slip-joint gasket that is likely worn. However, I am only at 9,000km when I noticed it, which is about 10,000km pre-mature, since the manual states it to be replaced at 20,000km.

Has anyone had their exhaust gaskets blow before the 20,000km mark, pre-maturely as mine have? Wondering if BRP would cover these gaskets under warranty, considering it has worn very pre-maturely?

I have my Dealer checking into this and should hear back soon - next week, but comments on this would be appreciated.

See attached for the worn gaskets. The one on the right is the one from the right side of the exhaust system (slip-joint gasket). As you can see, after 9,000km, it looks like that, half of it missing.

Thank you for your input.
Cheers from Newfoundland.
Dean

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 05:45 AM
I just replaced them myself; however, I have read where some people did get them replaced under warranty. I have a feeling this is one of the gray areas of the warranty, and really depends on how much your dealer is willing to look after you.

Rando
07-01-2010, 06:24 AM
See attached for the worn gaskets. The one on the right is the one from the right side of the exhaust system (slip-joint gasket). As you can see, after 9,000km, it looks like that, half of it missing.Mine looked the same after 9,000 miles. I replaced both with the Honda gaskets. Not expensive so I did it myself.

docdoru
07-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Wondering if BRP would cover these gaskets under warranty, considering it has worn very pre-maturely? Dean
No. The only way is free of charge if you're covered by a prepaid maintenance plan. :agree:with the Honda gaskets, they will double or triple the life expectancy.

NancysToy
07-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Some of these have been covered, especially if the owner whined loudly, if they failed long before the required maintenance interval. They are considered a normal wear item, and are excluded from the warranty, but premature failure always opens the door for possible warranty consideration.

boborgera
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Mine looked the same after 9,000 miles. I replaced both with the Honda gaskets. Not expensive so I did it myself.

:agree:
Mine started to fail at 8,000 miles, I replaced them at 11,000 miles Myself
with the Honda gaskets. It would have cost more in time and gas to bring it in.

Firefly
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Order some Honda Gaskets: Honda GL1800 gasket is 18392-MAM-000.

They are cheaper than the BRP ones-- but far better--- probably will last for a good 50,000 miles.

j45p3r
07-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Both of mine were replaced under warranty with 9000miles on the clock. No questions asked.

groundeffect
07-01-2010, 11:41 AM
It seems it depends....

I will see what my dealer comes back with from BRP and I'll go from there. The new gaskets are the BRP stock gaskets. I may order the Honda gaskets for next time, where I will do the gasket replacement myself.

Thanks all, for your great and informative replies. Greatly appreciated!
Dean

Dudley
07-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I had mine warranted at 26,000 miles. Spyder was less than a year old. Found out I had ridden quite a few miles with the leaking! Wasn't much left but the screen.

bjt
07-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Both dltang and myself had a few sets of the exhaust gaskets replaced under warranty. I think it depends on your dealer / service dept. whether or not they will warranty the gaskets.

Yazz
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I replaced mine at around 6,000 miles. The right gasket looks about like Groundeffect's. The left one was a little more mangled by the time it came out.

Figured if the BRP gaskets would start to fail at 6,000 k, wanted to put a better replacement back in so went with the Honda ones.

For all Ya'll whose gaskets were almost gone by the time you replaced them, didn't you leg start getting a little warm? Ouch!

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
For all Ya'll whose gaskets were almost gone by the time you replaced them, didn't you leg start getting a little warm? Ouch!

A little warm may just be the understatement of the year. :D

bone crusher
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I replaced mine at around 6,000 miles. The right gasket looks about like Groundeffect's. The left one was a little more mangled by the time it came out.

Figured if the BRP gaskets would start to fail at 6,000 k, wanted to put a better replacement back in so went with the Honda ones.

My right leg was getting really hot...replaced with the Honda gaskets and now it only gets a little warm...like the left leg...guess that's the case when the fan kicks on?

Trickie Dick
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Same thing happened to me at around 9000 miles. I took it in for replacement and initially they charged me. I complained and they called BRP. BRP told them that it was a warranty item if under 12,000 miles. I think the book shows them up for replacement at that time. So the dealer refunded my money. :clap:

groundeffect
07-02-2010, 05:04 AM
:thumbup:
Same thing happened to me at around 9000 miles. I took it in for replacement and initially they charged me. I complained and they called BRP. BRP told them that it was a warranty item if under 12,000 miles. I think the book shows them up for replacement at that time. So the dealer refunded my money. :clap:

groundeffect
07-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Just an update.

My Dealer or BRP has provided the gaskets ( thee gaskets - two slip-joint and one y gasket ) at no cost to me, since there were worn very pre-mature.

THANK YOU.
Cheers.
Dean

boborgera
07-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Just an update.

My Dealer or BRP has provided the gaskets ( thee gaskets - two slip-joint and one y gasket ) at no cost to me, since there were worn very pre-mature.

THANK YOU.
Cheers.
Dean

:dontknow:
Why two slip / only one Y ?

groundeffect
07-03-2010, 03:55 AM
Why two slip / only one Y ?

According to the shop manual, the right and left side gaskets are called 'slip-joint gaskets' and the 'y' gasket is the lower gasket. Three in total, were all replaced.

Thanks
Dean

groundeffect
07-03-2010, 04:04 AM
To clarify, all of the gaskets on the exhaust are called 'slip-joint' gaskets, by BRP. The ' Y Gasket ', as I understand it, is the lower gasket, called 'Y' as it is just behind the connection of the two pipes (left and right), forming a Y.

So, in the BRP parts diagram they are all 'slip-joint' gaskets. The lower aka Y gasket is number 12 (BRP part #707600547), the other slip-joint gaskets (left and right side) are number 8's (BRP part #707600546).

http://epc.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E:%5C%5CEmpartWeb%5C%5Cdata%5C%5C1s%5 C%5C06%5CY1004%5C21Y1004.tif&ilSC=20&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

Hope that helps.
Cheers.
Dean

Yazz
07-03-2010, 10:07 AM
SpyderWolf and Bone Crusher,

Thanks for confirming that I am not a wuss. :D

Groundeffect,

The information about the "Y" gasket and slip gaskets is great. Have you taken out the "Y" gasket at the bottom of the pipes yet? If so, did it look like the left slip gasket or the right?

groundeffect
07-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Groundeffect,

The information about the "Y" gasket and slip gaskets is great. Have you taken out the "Y" gasket at the bottom of the pipes yet? If so, did it look like the left slip gasket or the right?

Half of the right slip-joint gasket was missing, just gone. The left side was in better shape, but not by much. The left did require a bit of work to get it out to make room for the replacement. The Y gasket was not worn all the way through, but worn and I would guess would disappear well before the suggested replacement service check.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

SpyderWolf
07-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I believe we have been calling them the Y gaskets because they are for the Y pipe, these would be the Number 8 gaskets on the diagram. I would call the other one, Number 12, the muffler gasket and since I am running the Hindle this gasket no longer exists on my Spyder. It is actually a piece that comes with the muffler.

They are slip-joint gaskets that are for the Y pipe, so it is just a matter of semantics. :D

Yazz, you are definitely not a wuss. When the amibient temp is reading 98 degrees and your right gasket is blown, things get very uncomfortable pretty quickly when sitting at a stop light. :yikes:

Yazz
07-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Groundeffect,

Thanks for the report on the "Y" gasket. My slip-joint gaskets were worn the same as yours were. Was figuring that the "Y" gasket wearing on yours would be an indicator of what my "Y" gasket looked like. Think thats the case. Looked under Spydee and sure enough, there's that spring holding the two parts of the pipes together. At least there is only one gasket to replace this time...

SpyderWolf,

So you think both gaskets are structurally the same? Spydee now has #12's on her #8's. Will have to wait and see?

boborgera
07-03-2010, 06:19 PM
So you think both gaskets are structurally the same? Spydee now has #12's on her #8's. Will have to wait and see?

The #12's are much larger than the #8's, I don't think their interchangeable?

Yazz
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM

I believe that. The #8s are straight from the head. The #12s are after the two pipes come together. Thus a bigger pipe, bigger gasket. I used Honda "Y" gaskets for the slip-joints and they are working great right now. No more heat escaping from the wrong places.

The big quandary is in Honda terms, what would be the PIN number for the #12 "Y" gasket? Or do I have to go BRP?

bone crusher
07-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Groundeffect,

hah....a wuss...hardly! I think a lot of us have had (or are having) this issue with the gaskets...argh!

groundeffect
07-03-2010, 09:45 PM

#8 and #12 are different parts, not interchangeable.

Cheers.

SpyderWolf
07-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I believe that. The #8s are straight from the head. The #12s are after the two pipes come together. Thus a bigger pipe, bigger gasket. I used Honda "Y" gaskets for the slip-joints and they are working great right now. No more heat escaping from the wrong places.

The big quandary is in Honda terms, what would be the PIN number for the #12 "Y" gasket? Or do I have to go BRP?

I really don't think you need to worry about gasket #12 going bad nearly as quickly as the #8 from BRP do. I don't recall reading any posts about anyone replacing the #12 gasket yet. Replacing the #8 with the Honda gaskets the way you did should make them last a lot longer now as well.

Yazz
07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks! Think I was thinking toooo much. :opps:

ataDude
07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
...The big quandary is in Honda terms, what would be the PIN number for the #12 "Y" gasket? Or do I have to go BRP?

There is no equivalent for #12 from Honda (or any other manufacturers). Several of us have searched and have come up dry.

Freddy
07-04-2010, 07:00 PM
There is no equivalent for #12 from Honda (or any other manufacturers). Several of us have searched and have come up dry.

OK, but can anyone give the inner and outer diameter of this one please?

ataDude
07-04-2010, 09:12 PM
OK, but can anyone give the inner and outer diameter of this one please?

It's been a while but if I recall, it is 2 5/8" ID and 2 7/8" OD.

Freddy
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
It's been a while but if I recall, it is 2 5/8" ID and 2 7/8" OD.

Thanks, I though the one off my C14 may fit, but no.