PDA

View Full Version : Is my power steering even working????

sledhead
06-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes that's probably the dumbest question you've seen on this forum but honestly the only Spyder I've ever ridden is mine so I have no frame of reference. I hear all these stories about the power steering issues and it got me thinking that mine may not even be working at all. I certainly don't have the issues of it locking up but to me it doesn't feel like anything is helping me around the corners either. I talked to the dealer of the previous owner and they confirmed that the DPS update was done. Beats me if he is telling the truth.:dontknow:

It's obvious that I need to test drive another Spyder to know for sure but can anyone give me an idea of how easy it's supposed to turn?

One test I did was turning the bars when the bike was off and then trying it when the bike was running (smart of me right!!!!). I'm afraid to say it didn't feel any different.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear from you experienced folks on this one.
Thanks!!!:D

Fire Joe
06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I could tell the difference in mine since when I bought it it was working. One morning on my way home from work I got the "Check DPS" message and could immediately tell the steering was different, specially at low speeds. I know some have said they are having issues without getting the "Check DPS" message so my best way for you to tell if your DPS is working or not is to pull the fuse then ride it around. If it doesn't feel any different from how it is, then likely it wasn't working to begin with.

Capt John
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Yes that's probably the dumbest question you've seen on this forum but honestly the only Spyder I've ever ridden is mine so I have no frame of reference. I hear all these stories about the power steering issues and it got me thinking that mine may not even be working at all. I certainly don't have the issues of it locking up but to me it doesn't feel like anything is helping me around the corners either. I talked to the dealer of the previous owner and they confirmed that the DPS update was done. Beats me if he is telling the truth.:dontknow:

It's obvious that I need to test drive another Spyder to know for sure but can anyone give me an idea of how easy it's supposed to turn?

One test I did was turning the bars when the bike was off and then trying it when the bike was running (smart of me right!!!!). I'm afraid to say it didn't feel any different.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear from you experienced folks on this one.
Thanks!!!:D

check out this thread
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8565&highlight=power+steering&page=2

jabba11
06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
at nigth after you start the bike if you turn the handle bars do the lights dim?? Thats a reasonable indication that it is working. Working correctly may be a different story but clearly there is a power draw if that is happening.

GA-SPYDER
06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
With the :spyder2: not running, put some pressure on the handle bars, not trying to turn it, just some pressure. Start it up while holding pressure on the bars and you should feel the bars move easier, if it is working.:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
With the :spyder2: not running, put some pressure on the handle bars, not trying to turn it, just some pressure. Start it up while holding pressure on the bars and you should feel the bars move easier, if it is working.:thumbup:

:agree:

GI Joe had me test his Spyder this past Saturday, and he has no power steering at all. It was much more difficult to steer than what I am used to, and would definitely give you a workout if ryding it all the time like that. He got on my Spyder and noticed the difference as soon as he started it up.

ArmyJoe
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
^ What he said.

You could pull the fuse to disable DPS and see if there's a difference.

Recluze
06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
If you think it is not working it probably isn't. When it works it is very noticeable at low speeds. I believe that there are a few of them out there that are not working and the rider does not know any better or does not care.

Firefly
06-30-2010, 11:45 PM
If on a rough surface it can be hard to tell the difference between PS on and off. Park on a smooth surface (like a painted garage floor, smooth, etc.) and you should notice quite a difference between PS on and off when turning the bars.

IWN2RYD
07-01-2010, 12:30 AM
From day one.. On our RT-S.. We cannot steer our bike at a stand still without serious arm strength. Drives just fine... But there is no difference between the key turned on, or an the engine running when we try to steer.

For example... My wife cannot begin to steer the bike until it is moving.

This is fine and dandy to us. We thought the DPS only worked once moving. Are we all wet? :dontknow:

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 05:31 AM
From day one.. On our RT-S.. We cannot steer our bike at a stand still without serious arm strength. Drives just fine... But there is no difference between the key turned on, or an the engine running when we try to steer.

This is fine and dandy to us. We thought the DPS only worked once moving. Are we all wet? :dontknow:

That is the way the RT was designed. Magic Man has a thread on here somewhere discussing the entire steering situation with the RT. Yours sounds like everything is fine.

spyder30517
07-01-2010, 10:09 AM
When I took mine in for same issue they hooked it up to their BUDS computer and it showed no problems even though I knew it wasnt working.
So after taking service manager outside to steer a 2010 and try to steer my 2008 sitting still he could tell it was bad.
I think you may want to swing by your dealer and have them do a comparison between a new Spyder and yours - its a major difference when DPS works. They may be able to help you in getting it replaced even if the BUDS shows no fault codes.
If that doesnt work send Carlo an email at BRP Tech Support (address/phone # is on here somewhere) and see what he can do for you

M2Wild
07-01-2010, 10:17 AM

There should be a big difference between when the engine is stopped and when the engine is running. To my understanding the DPS needs and should privide MORE assistance at lower speed and LESS assistance at higher speed. Better have your bike checked out by the dealer.

jnt
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Easy way to tell - with engine off, try turning the bars. Then start it. If the bars turn easier, it is functioning.

Longlegs
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Mine wasn't working right either. My new DPS is on Backorder

IWN2RYD
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Easy way to tell - with engine off, try turning the bars. Then start it. If the bars turn easier, it is functioning.
:thumbup: Thought so... Looks like ours may be "Assist" challenged. :shocked: It "Is" easier to turn, but requires a significant amount of personal assistance to do it. I am a farely typical strength fella, and I man handle it just fine. But it is not turn-able in anyway for my wife unless the bike is moving.

In fact... As I type this.. It reminds me a lot of my old Ford 9n tractor. nojoke

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
:thumbup: Thought so... Looks like ours may be "Assist" challenged. :shocked: It "Is" easier to turn, but requires a significant amount of personal assistance to do it. I am a farely typical strength fella, and I man handle it just fine. But it is not turn-able in anyway for my wife unless the bike is moving.

In fact... As I type this.. It reminds me a lot of my old Ford 9n tractor. nojoke

Your RT is working the way it was programmed to. The power steering assist does not kick in on that model while you are sitting still.

Read this thread for the details on it: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18491

IWN2RYD
07-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Your RT is working the way it was programmed to. The power steering assist does not kick in on that model while you are sitting still.

Read this thread for the details on it: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18491

Perfect! :thumbup::bowdown: