PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have to Ask...

Raptor
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
I have to ask this question because I am very curious. So here it is; I went on perhaps the most amazing ryde I have undertaken yet. This adventure had it all; high speed, hair-raising cornering, cagers, cops, and more speed! Did I mention speed? HA!! It was such a rush I'm still buzzing! NOTE: I do not condone this type of riding, but something came over me today and it just happened! I do not do this... much!! :shocked:

So my question is... How many of you have taken your engines to the redline or near it? I didn't get there in 5th because I was waaay past 110 and was running out of road so I had to roll off. But 2nd through 4th I was on it and I have to say I was pretty impressed by how the engine responded. Turns out this thing has OOMPH!! It did kind of starve out in 4th once I got past 9000. not bad, but enough to tell me to SHIFT IDIOT!

SO let's here it. Who has, and how did your engine do?

bone crusher
06-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I have to ask this question because I am very curious. So here it is; I went on perhaps the most amazing ryde I have undertaken yet. This adventure had it all; high speed, hair-raising cornering, cagers, cops, and more speed! Did I mention speed? HA!! It was such a rush I'm still buzzing! NOTE: I do not condone this type of riding, but something came over me today and it just happened! I do not do this... much!! :shocked:

So my question is... How many of you have taken your engines to the redline or near it? I didn't get there in 5th because I was waaay past 110 and was running out of road so I had to roll off. But 2nd through 4th I was on it and I have to say I was pretty impressed by how the engine responded. Turns out this thing has OOMPH!! It did kind of starve out in 4th once I got past 9000. not bad, but enough to tell me to SHIFT IDIOT!

SO let's here it. Who has, and how did your engine do?

i red-lined in 3rd one time, and one time only...sometimes, when entering onto a highway from a straight entrance, I'll start in 2nd gear and run it up...then get in third and top it out for lots of acceleration....gets me well into the 60s-70s and probably more. You can definitely feel the engine work, but at no time did it feel like it was going to grind down or anything...as it is, I think the main hp is achieved at a decently high rpm...I don't think I hang out in that rpm range too much anyway...however, with crisp accelerations, I, too, am impressed with the take-off!

WackyDan
06-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Take it to red line a lot. :D

altonk
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
all the time

that's where it likes to be

BillGargan
06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Can't find any reason to red-line -- and hardly ever get over 5,000 RPM.

I am very happy just cruising. No stress!

Disclaimer
I am 70 and did all this stupid stuff (lots of it) in sports cars when I was 25-30.

Raptor
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Disclaimer
I am 70 and did all this stupid stuff (lots of it) in sports cars when I was 25-30.

Sir, you are probably the smartest person here! :2thumbs: It's the first time I have done this to this extent. I guess I just wanted to see what she would do. I reckon I also wanted test myself and see how I would handle it. And we both did fine! :ohyea: But I have to tell ya, once I got tucked under that windshield, the bike just smoothed right out at about 105 like she was on rails. This chassis likes downforce!

But like Crusher says, not a good idea to leave it at 9000 for a longer period of time. Seems to me you will eventually starve the valve train of oil and we all know what happens next! BUT MAN THAT WAS FUN!! :D

boborgera
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
But like Crusher says, not a good idea to leave it at 9000 for a longer period of time. Seems to me you will eventually starve the valve train of oil and we all know what happens next! BUT MAN THAT WAS FUN!! :D

Short bursts at 9 grand won't hurt. :yes:
The Spyder's engine is under stressed, 9 grand is not the mechanical limit, it's limited by electronics. In the old days hydraulic valves would float that would stop the over revving:yikes:

ARtraveler
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Most of you are a lot braver than I am. I to have been through my heck raising days etc, and the redline stuff, as well as the top speed stuff, are now off of my things to do list. I have had all my Spyders up to at least 90, but that is my record. No redline issues here. However, it is good to know that there is plenty of power on demand. Just be safe when you test the limits of your machine, and keep the rubber side down.

bone crusher
06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Most of you are a lot braver than I am. I to have been through my heck raising days etc, and the redline stuff, as well as the top speed stuff, are now off of my things to do list. I have had all my Spyders up to at least 90, but that is my record. No redline issues here. However, it is good to know that there is plenty of power on demand. Just be safe when you test the limits of your machine, and keep the rubber side down.

Good points...although it's fun to ride fast, at times, there's nothing to prove by doing so...

I have been at lights where M3s have revved and taken off...I let them go...I know I'm about 4.1 0-60 and the M3 is about 4.5ish...we're faster than most all cars on the road...but, who cares...

I prefer to ride and have fun and only move fast for a quick adrenaline rush!

Firefly
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
The system has a rev-limiter and I'm sure they have it kick in with RPMS to spare before damage would happen. I've red-lined a bunch of times-- no problem--- but you're really missing the power band when doing so. Best to shift into the next gear between 7,000-9,000 RPMS until you don't have any more gears...:D

I don't think you can reach redline in 5th gear---I've tried and the wind resistance is just too much for the engine to overcome. I hit 128 mph and wasn't redlined-- but was WOT forever.

Sarge707
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Good points...although it's fun to ride fast, at times, there's nothing to prove by doing so...

I have been at lights where M3s have revved and taken off...I let them go...I know I'm about 4.1 0-60 and the M3 is about 4.5ish...we're faster than most all cars on the road...but, who cares...

I prefer to ride and have fun and only move fast for a quick adrenaline rush!

Your Right! The :spyder2:can do 0-60 in 4.5 so I looked up how much $$$ you would have to pay to purchase a small sports car that would equal that time ? Over $100,000 !!!:yikes:

SpyderGirl
06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I very very rarely red-line my baby... but once I couldn't resist to show up this young punk in a supped-up older Monte Carlo. I was doing about 50ish in 1st gear and bumped the red-line before shifting into second... I guess I was doing close to 55 when I shifted and it was at about 9500 rpm.

The moral of the story is that I think I impressed him. Not like he really had a chance to begin with. :D

I also do not condone street racing of any kind. :lecturef_smilie:

SpyderWolf
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I live out in the middle of the woods with lots of clear 2 lane roads, where the biggest thing you need to worry about are deer crossing the road at the wrong time.

The rev limiter kicks in at 10,000 RPM and everything cruises along there until you remember to shift. Engine protection from a missed shift is probably a good thing.

I did a test on my Spyder, shifting when I hit 9500 RPM and this is what I found, as close I can remember:

1st gear - 52 mph
2nd gear - 75 mph
3rd gear - 93 mph
4th gear - 110 mph

Unfortunately I ran out of straight, clear, roadway before reaching 9500 RPM in 5th gear. :(

SethO
06-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Sir, you are probably the smartest person here! :2thumbs: It's the first time I have done this to this extent. I guess I just wanted to see what she would do. I reckon I also wanted test myself and see how I would handle it. And we both did fine! :ohyea: But I have to tell ya, once I got tucked under that windshield, the bike just smoothed right out at about 105 like she was on rails. This chassis likes downforce!

I have ran this motor harder than anyone else I have met yet and what is a long time at over 9 in the revs'? because I have ran it for 45 minutes as fast it will go. I did have a piston ring walk over the rear piston at 19k for miles in florida but the engine is suppose to have 150 hp and a higher rev range and how could a modern motorcycle RACE motor have a problem with maintained reved stiuation.

redline in :
1st 53mph
2nd 73mph
3rd 93mph
4th 114mph
5th it's a guess but I would say 141

redline in the in line rockets kills the spark in half the plugs so it dumbs down. I guess if you had all day and a lot of money you could prove me wrong.

Raptor
06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I have ran this motor harder than anyone else I have met yet and what is a long time at over 9 in the revs'? because I have ran it for 45 minutes as fast it will go. I did have a piston ring walk over the rear piston at 19k for miles in florida but the engine is suppose to have 150 hp and a higher rev range and how could a modern motorcycle RACE motor have a problem with maintained reved stiuation.

redline in :
1st 53mph
2nd 73mph
3rd 93mph
4th 114mph

redline in the in line rockets kills the spark in half the plugs so it dumbs down. I guess if you had all day and a lot of money you could prove me wrong.

Seth, I would agree that those are reasonable and accurate numbers that you have posted. This is what I would have projected had I been able to topout in 5th. To tell you the truth, that's fine with me on a bike! I have done a helluva lot better in my vette, but that's a vette! :ohyea:

The fun thing with the Spyder is throttle response and cornering once you get the hang of it. Now THAT's fun! :2thumbs: I rode with a street bike today and he couldn't shake me loose. I think a more experienced street fighter would have left me but I held my own. It wasn't a race or anything; we were just goin for it a little. Good times!

altonk
06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
this engine has been run long and hard and been prven to be reliable in the aprilia superbikes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSV_Mille

murphybrown
06-30-2010, 10:49 AM

Disclaimer

Yep ditto on your stats...were we really stupid back then???? Definitely know I would be STUPID if I still wanted to redline!!!! Enjoy that cruising on your Spyder...really is wonderful experience. :thumbup:

SSG Bean
06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Your Right! The :spyder2:can do 0-60 in 4.5 so I looked up how much $$$ you would have to pay to purchase a small sports car that would equal that time ? Over $100,000 !!!:yikes:

I posted this in another thread, because there are plenty of fairly small sports cars that will do 0-60 in less than 4.5. :lecturef_smilie: Here's what I posted before:

"Your source must have omitted the corvette. I know the Z06 is at least that quick, and the base model is not too far behind. Car and Driver clocked a Z06 at 3.6. Both models can be had for far less than 100K. I'm pretty sure there are other cars out there that are that quick. Our spyders are quick and high on cool quotient, but I'm sorry to say: we're not that elite."

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=215077#post215077

bone crusher
06-30-2010, 06:19 PM

redline in :
1st 53mph
2nd 73mph
3rd 93mph
4th 114mph

Yeah, right...sounds like you've tried this before...oh wait, you have! :D:D

bone crusher
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I posted this in another thread, because there are plenty of fairly small sports cars that will do 0-60 in less than 4.5. :lecturef_smilie: Here's what I posted before:

"Your source must have omitted the corvette. I know the Z06 is at least that quick, and the base model is not too far behind. Car and Driver clocked a Z06 at 3.6. Both models can be had for far less than 100K. I'm pretty sure there are other cars out there that are that quick. Our spyders are quick and high on cool quotient, but I'm sorry to say: we're not that elite."

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=215077#post215077

4.5 is outa the box...modifications will make ya faster...for example, Seth is probably running about 4.0 as is Fire...Doc is probably well under 4.0 now...I remember my bike stock and where it is now...I can say that without doubt, my bike, with the hindle, green air, and JB is MUCH faster than stock..and there are many here with far more mods/faster bikes...

As far as vehicles under 100k with same acceleration ability, they are far and few. How about looking at under 4.1, which is where we can likely get our bikes with minimal effort...the list gets even smaller. The ZO6 is 75k, minus any upgrades, taxes, etc...you're gonna end up spending at least in the mid-80s for one, so it's not too far from 100k...you have to think really hard of anything else in this league...I'm sure there's another car or two out there, but certainly, the point Sarge is making is very much on point.

IWN2RYD
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
this engine has been run long and hard and been prven to be reliable in the aprilia superbikes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSV_Mille

This would (http://www.aprilia.com/en-US/Model/14613/RSV4+Factory/Technical.aspx) be fun in an RS :thumbup:

SSG Bean
06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
4.5 is outa the box...modifications will make ya faster...for example, Seth is probably running about 4.0 as is Fire...Doc is probably well under 4.0 now...I remember my bike stock and where it is now...I can say that without doubt, my bike, with the hindle, green air, and JB is MUCH faster than stock..and there are many here with far more mods/faster bikes...

As far as vehicles under 100k with same acceleration ability, they are far and few. How about looking at under 4.1, which is where we can likely get our bikes with minimal effort...the list gets even smaller. The ZO6 is 75k, minus any upgrades, taxes, etc...you're gonna end up spending at least in the mid-80s for one, so it's not too far from 100k...you have to think really hard of anything else in this league...I'm sure there's another car or two out there, but certainly, the point Sarge is making is very much on point.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys below 4.5. I'm also sure that there are guys out there with modified cars that are faster for less than 100k. I'm going to steal SethO's line from the thread I cited: fast is relative. There are guys that paid less for their two wheelers that are quite a bit faster than us "outa the box."

I'll reiterate: Sarge's facts are incorrect. You can defend a point by exception all day long, but it doesn't make it correct. You are just simply stating exceptions. Lets not get carried away comparing our 15k Spyders to 100k elite vehicles.

Enjoy it for what it is. If it is the most fun you could ever imagine; great. Maybe it is worth 100K to you. I wouldn't have paid much more than I did for mine, and I absolutely love my spyder. It's a ton of fun, but I probably would have a Z06 if I had the garage space and the bank account to make it a reality.

Raptor
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of guys below 4.5. I'm also sure that there are guys out there with modified cars that are faster for less than 100k. I'm going to steal SethO's line from the thread I cited: fast is relative. There are guys that paid less for their two wheelers that are quite a bit faster than us "outa the box."

I'll reiterate: Sarge's facts are incorrect. You can defend a point by exception all day long, but it doesn't make it correct. You are just simply stating exceptions. Lets not get carried away comparing our 15k Spyders to 100k elite vehicles.

Enjoy it for what it is. If it is the most fun you could ever imagine; great. Maybe it is worth 100K to you. I wouldn't have paid much more than I did for mine, and I absolutely love my spyder. It's a ton of fun, but I probably would have a Z06 if I had the garage space and the bank account to make it a reality.

Very good points, SSG. I had the vette and now I have the Spyder. The Spyder delivers great performance and bang for the buck and it's as much fun as I have had in a vehicle in a while now. The vette is something completely different; you can't even compare it. But hey, I'm a Spyder Ryder now and happy as can be! :thumbup:

BTW, I have a feeling that there is a lot more potential in that V990 than we are getting right now. I think the electronics are chokin it down quite a bit...

altonk
06-30-2010, 11:45 PM
The lousy cam profiles are what's really choking it

When is rotax racing going to give us a top end

Would love a cosworth version like they gave aprilia

IWN2RYD
07-01-2010, 01:14 AM
The lousy cam profiles are what's really choking it

When is rotax racing going to give us a top end

Would love a cosworth version like they gave aprilia
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::yes::firstplace:

Raptor
07-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh true that brother!! I kind of understand why they de-tune it the waythey do, but I think they are taking it a little too far. It reminds me of the old El Camino. Chevy was putting big-blocks in 'em and once people found out how these things would fly like that it wasn't long before they started scrapng dudes off the street because the power was just too much. If I recall they eventually stopped offering the big-block in the El...

Having said all that, I still think BRP could loosen the reigns a little and let us have a bit more fun. I'm sure someone out there will figure out how to re-map things...