PDA

View Full Version : Highway Brackets

Tilty
06-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm in the middle of ordering Street Magic highway brackets.
Anyone know how to figure out the mounting bracket lengths 2" 3" or 4".

It would be nice if they would just include all three so you could adjust to where you know its comfortable.

Thanks for your help!!

IWN2RYD
06-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm in the middle of ordering Street Magic highway brackets.
Anyone know how to figure out the mounting bracket lengths 2" 3" or 4".

It would be nice if they would just include all three so you could adjust to where you know its comfortable.

Thanks for your help!!

My $.02....

I do not have those. But I hope my personal experience helps you.

We purchased Kewl Metals version. At first I did not like them, but also stated I need time on them before I made my final determination. Now I LOOOOOVE them.

I am 6'2" barefoot and 225ish. I ryde with a wonderful pair of Harley Davidson Boots that add about 2". I am ryding an RT-s. My wife is 5'1" and petite, also with Harley boots.

Originally I used the 3" and 4" stacked up together for a high pedal. My thinking was to make it high enough for my wife and myself at the same time.

WRONG

Wife still cannot reach them and have them in a position for me that is just like the original pegs, badly bent knees.

To explain.. I would like 2" less foam behind my back so that I can sit back farther so that my legs go straight down to the factory pegs. But because of the seat design and my height, I am in more of a crotch rocket bend than touring.

My wife sits about 3" from even touching the back support when she drives, and her legs go straight down to the pegs.

Anyway.... What we did was give up on the "Dual use" and make them work for me. So here is what I did.

I took both brackets off and individually yet "Loosely" mounted them with the 3" and the 4". I found the 3" to be 2nd best. For me the best was to attach the pegs straight off the frame brackets with nothing else but the pegs. It actually made me think of designing a floorboard. I need my legs to be in a more forward relaxed postilion. But that is not in the cards right now.

So the final product is my using the 4" for one reason only. The Factory Black Molding that comes out from the fan/radiator area that many folks use to rest their feet, was in the way for not using any additional brackets or the 3" one, and I wanted to keep my feet off of them. So mine is just 1/4" ish away from touching it, but good enough to keep my knees happy :thumbup:

My goodness. I hope that helped. It made sense to me when I started! :roflblack:

I can take pics if that will help too...