PDA

View Full Version : OCCASIONAL fast idle on 2008 w/ auto. trans. It will jump from a stop

nancypen
06-28-2010, 08:48 AM
OCCASIONAL fast idle on 2008 w/ auto. trans. It will jump from a stop to 18 MPH if you don't stand on the brake! Because it is only occasional I'm afraid to take it in and end up with the idle set too low. Has anyone else had this problem?
Also, it is difficult to shift it into neural...common also?
THANKS for any input!

bjt
06-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I met up with another owner this past weekend that is having a similar problem (along with a few other problems). She said she sometimes has to apply the brake to keep the Spyder from accelerating uncontrollably. She has been working with her dealer and BRP to get it taken care of but she hasn't had any luck with them fixing it yet. I'd suggest getting yours to your dealer so they can start working on it and maybe BRP can gain some knowledge from your Spyder and hers to quickly fix the problem.

IWN2RYD
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Depending on your description, and my guess that the following is true... It sounds like the SE5 recall the RT's are in right now.

I am almost 100% certain that it is actually a combination of things going on. I think because of the binding and or alignment of the mechanical parts that happens in the clutch, it is causing a false signal to the sensor that tells the engine to keep the RPM's at a certain level to keep it from stalling when the gearing or clutch is at a certain point.

These machines are so finely tuned that even being a fraction off will cause weird issues to use, but normal to the computer because it can only react to the input received and do what the programing has been set at. I am sure I am over simplifying the results of the issue with the words clutch and gearing. But I bet something along this lines of thinking is pretty close.

I am no mechanic. But this seems logical to me. :dontknow:

bcspyder
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd bet it is the Idle Air Control Valve.

nancypen
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Since it seemed to start after I took it in for the SE5 steering recall, I have to guess perhaps that caused the issue...?
The fact that it happens sporadically is what's throwing me. If you fix that issue, will another then surface?? I'm not sure I want to get into that....last time one small issue led to many, requiring several trips back and weeks in the shop and off the road!
I suppose I'll call the dealer when they open tomorrow.......

nancypen
06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I met up with another owner this past weekend that is having a similar problem (along with a few other problems). She said she sometimes has to apply the brake to keep the Spyder from accelerating uncontrollably. She has been working with her dealer and BRP to get it taken care of but she hasn't had any luck with them fixing it yet. I'd suggest getting yours to your dealer so they can start working on it and maybe BRP can gain some knowledge from your Spyder and hers to quickly fix the problem.

Do you know which dealer she took it to? I could call them just to see if they came up with a solution to share with my dealer! THANKS!

Questions
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I would like to know what dealer you all are going to, mine doesn't seem to know or care:dontknow:? I have a manual trans so some of this doesn't apply even though I am having very similar problems. I hope these issues get solved quickly, I am in the garage now with a cylinder down due to plug issues. Need help soon

NancysToy
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Since it seemed to start after I took it in for the SE5 steering recall, I have to guess perhaps that caused the issue...?
The fact that it happens sporadically is what's throwing me. If you fix that issue, will another then surface?? I'm not sure I want to get into that....last time one small issue led to many, requiring several trips back and weeks in the shop and off the road!
I suppose I'll call the dealer when they open tomorrow.......
Have you had the engine performance (second) update? It addresses purge valve problems. Not having that, in combination with a failed purge valve or purge valve solenoid could cause such a problem. The second update pretty much cured Nancy's Spyder of the erratic revving problem.

bjt
06-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Do you know which dealer she took it to? I could call them just to see if they came up with a solution to share with my dealer! THANKS!

She lives in Michigan so I'm sure her dealer is there but I don't know the name of her dealer.