PDA

View Full Version : running rough, missing, popping, bad mpg

aka1004
06-26-2010, 06:29 PM
could leaky y-gasket cause all this?
when dynojet pull the pipes apart, they could not get the pipe all the way up due to thickness of the honda gasket. i had very hard time with that also.

Eddie
06-26-2010, 06:52 PM
when dynojet pull the pipes apart, they could not get the pipe all the way up due to thickness of the honda gasket. i had very hard time with that also.
Why are they / You using a Honda gasket on a Can-Am??

ataDude
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Yes they COULD cause this. The two smaller gaskets (where you are using the Hondas) are upstream of the O2 sensor.

When I changed my gaskets (also Hondas), I found the best way was to remove the muffler and L-pipe. The remaining pipes were light enough to easily wiggle/maneuver over the new gaskets.

I also had to use a large socket and mallet to widen the female part of the pipes' joints.

Eddie
06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Yes they COULD cause this. The two smaller gaskets (where you are using the Hondas) are upstream of the O2 sensor.

When I changed my gaskets (also Hondas), I found the best way was to remove the muffler and L-pipe. The remaining pipes were light enough to easily wiggle/maneuver over the new gaskets.

I also had to use a large socket and mallet to widen the female part of the pipes joints.

Again I ask" WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU USING HONDA PARTS ON A ROTAX ENGINE" ?:dontknow:

Batmobile
06-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I put the honda y gaskets on mine last weekend. The can am ones lasted on mine about 9,000 miles. Others have gotten even less mileage, even as little as 1,500 miles. The goldwing gaskets are the same size and seem to last longer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19691

Eddie
06-26-2010, 09:32 PM
I put the honda y gaskets on mine last weekend. The can am ones lasted on mine about 9,000 miles. Others have gotten even less mileage, even as little as 1,500 miles. The goldwing gaskets are the same size and seem to last longer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19691

OH OK NOW I SEE.Think I will stick with Napa parts.Takes a little work to find the right one.But' when you do 1/2 price of Honda and just as good if not better. I have done dealt with Honda gaskets on my VTX1800. Not so great in my books

boborgera
06-26-2010, 11:12 PM
OH OK NOW I SEE.Think I will stick with Napa parts.Takes a little work to find the right one.But' when you do 1/2 price of Honda and just as good if not better. I have done dealt with Honda gaskets on my VTX1800. Not so great in my books

;)
There the Gold wing gaskets not VTX. Apples and Oranges. :D

bone crusher
06-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Half the price of $5.00...just as good or better....I think not! Is it really necessary to try to go that cheap when the Honda gaskets are vastly superior to stock, many people here have switched to them and have had success with them so far, and they are cheap?

Firefly
06-27-2010, 03:02 AM
The BRB gaskets are junk. If you have 6,000 or so miles on your bike--- your righthand gasket is probably toast.

The Honda gaskets are much cheaper than the BRP--- and MUCH better made---- probably will last for 50,000 miles!

I was lucky that they fit great and was able to slide the lower pipes on no problem--- but some have had to spread the female pipe a bit to make the install go better.

Great mod--- takes care of many of the problems mentioned...:thumbup:

aka1004
06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Alright, let's get back to the problem in hand:D
Could a leak in the exhaust could cause all the issues I am having?

garganos
06-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes it could. I would also look at your spark plug wires & plug condition. We have had a few were the spark plug boots would leak and arch to the head. This would cause a weak spark in the engine. The easiest way to check it is remove your panels and start the bike in a dark area, see if you notice any arching to the head.

bone crusher
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Alright, let's get back to the problem in hand:D
Could a leak in the exhaust could cause all the issues I am having?

Yes...and follow wackydan's instructions for replacing the gaskets...his thread is complete and very easy to follow...continued kudos to him!!!!

You will need to get the Honda gasket (and yes, get the Honda one...it is made superiorly!)...part number 18392-mam-000

jabba11
06-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I changed mine to the honda gasket at 6000 miles but I will tell you that teh BRP gasket was still in pretty good shape. That being said the Honda one was clearly a better made product.

Eddie
06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
;)
There the Gold wing gaskets not VTX. Apples and Oranges. :D
LOL Boy aint dat da truth :D

bone crusher
06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I changed mine to the honda gasket at 6000 miles but I will tell you that teh BRP gasket was still in pretty good shape. That being said the Honda one was clearly a better made product.

I just changed mine...at around 3000 miles, and the right one was pretty chewed up...if I remember, I'll try to get a pic of it...

WaltH
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes it could. I would also look at your spark plug wires & plug condition. We have had a few were the spark plug boots would leak and arch to the head. This would cause a weak spark in the engine. The easiest way to check it is remove your panels and start the bike in a dark area, see if you notice any arching to the head.

I have had this twice.

krb1945
06-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Eddie... what is the napa part number for their exhaust gaskets? And... were you able to locate a substitute for the large lower gasket. If so please post the part numbers for all of us. I've been searching for 10 months trying to find a sub for that big gasket.

I've been using the Honda GL1800 exhaust gaskets for a year now. They are nice and tight. I've had them off a couple of times and the only time you will have any trouble installing them is if there is a tiny wire sticking out. Inspect them closely and if you see a meat hook just snip it off and install.

Thanks for the info. Ken krb1945

Eddie
06-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Eddie... what is the napa part number for their exhaust gaskets? And... were you able to locate a substitute for the large lower gasket. If so please post the part numbers for all of us. I've been searching for 10 months trying to find a sub for that big gasket.

I've been using the Honda GL1800 exhaust gaskets for a year now. They are nice and tight. I've had them off a couple of times and the only time you will have any trouble installing them is if there is a tiny wire sticking out. Inspect them closely and if you see a meat hook just snip it off and install.

I really haven't had a reason to look yet. Mine have been doing good so far. As far as the Napa part # I won't have that until I need to change mine. If you have got your Honda's installed and they are working good.Then I would just go with that. As far as the Honda's go when I had my VTX1800 a LOT of folks was having problems with the stock gaskets and a few just jumped over to Napa. My self being an Auto Tech. Will first take my old ones to Napa and try to match them Most of the time its not to hard if you have the old gaskets. But' as others have said" If the Honda is working and working good, Then stay with that as long as all you have to do is run up to the dealer and pick them up as a stock Item? " If Not then most of the time Napa can have them on the noon run or the next morning. Its really no big deal as long as you get a good gasket that works. Sounds like the Honda is the one that works. Think thats the one I would stick with :2thumbs:

Freddy
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM

<snip>

Does anyone have the inner and outer dimensions of this larger lower gasket?

scdtrd
06-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Because many have found the Honda parts to be superior to BRP's :thumbup:

Which is why I bought a Honda...:shocked:

aka1004
06-29-2010, 02:45 PM
will leaky exhaust cause lean-ness? than pre-ignition?

docdoru
06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes on the first question.

aka1004
06-30-2010, 09:10 PM
i replaced the damaged clamp on the left and viola! problems went away.
thank you for your posts.

ntxYguy2009
07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
My Spyder has 15K on her and I suspect that my gaskets are destroyed also, so I just ordered the Honda gaskets at $4.93 ea from Honda Direct Line (directlineparts.com). I ordered two extra just in case any being damaged in shipment or I damage one!:gaah:

David

Firefly
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
My Spyder has 15K on her and I suspect that my gaskets are destroyed also, so I just ordered the Honda gaskets at $4.93 ea from Honda Direct Line (directlineparts.com). I ordered two extra just in case any being damaged in shipment or I damage one!:gaah:

David

If you have 15K on the original OEM Y gaskets---- you can almost guarantee the righthand one is toast.

The Honda ones are FAR better.

ntxYguy2009
07-20-2010, 12:31 PM
If I have the Hindle, I only have to replace two gaskets, correct? If you have the original exhaust, you would have a third larger gasket, correct?

David

Firefly
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
If I have the Hindle, I only have to replace two gaskets, correct? If you have the original exhaust, you would have a third larger gasket, correct?

David

You only replace the two gaskets that connect the 'Y' pipes. The only other gasket would be if your exhaust is using one to connect to the other end of the 'Y' pipe. The stock BRP Muffler has a larger gasket where it connects to the Y pipe --- but units like the Hindle do not.

PCBeachBum
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I replaced my "Y" gaskets with the Honda "Y" gaskets and also changed the sparkplugs. I was also getting a lot of popping and decided to put in an o2 Sensor Mod from Evoluzione Cycle. Talking to the tech at Evolusion, he said go with the o2 sensor mod first and if its needs to run leaner go with the fuel pressure mod, both work well together but, try the o2 sensor mod first.

The popping stopped and checking the back plug it was running lean. The front plug I couldn't tell because it was burnt and can only guess it was never changed out because of the difficulty in getting to it, with the airbox in the way.

My Spyder was used as a demo and only god knows what it went through. The "Y" gaskets still looked good but replaced them with the new ones, since it was apart. I was getting a strong gas smell and the left side would get so hot, I couldn't touch it with my knee or my gloved hand.

After changing that front plug the gas smell went away as did the extreme heat why? My guess is that the exhaust was pushing the heat out of the pipe and the spark plug was burning up the gas in the cylinder.

Texmac1011
07-20-2010, 07:42 PM

David
2 of mine were gone and one was shot at 12k miles

NancysToy
07-20-2010, 08:37 PM
After changing that front plug the gas smell went away as did the extreme heat why? My guess is that the exhaust was pushing the heat out of the pipe and the spark plug was burning up the gas in the cylinder.
Simply having a fouled plug or misfiring cylinder can cause hot running and a gas smell. If continued, or under heavy load, it can even melt pistons. Having one cylinder misfiring can also cause the other cylinder to run lean on a machine with a single O2 sensor. Merely changing the plugs, or finding the reason the front cylinder was dead, might have solved your problem by itself. To me, bypassing the O2 sensor or changing the fuel delivery with a device like the Juice Box is a waste unless you have a modified intake and exhaust.

Roger
07-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I bought the honda ones and my gaskets don't even leak yet i think. 5000 miles. :clap: