PDA

View Full Version : JUST MY FREAKING LUCK

SPYDERGUY1
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
went on a 300 k ride for cancer a couple of weeks ago. Spyder starts acting up, check oil lite, check enging lite, check engine scrolling message, gas smell returning, fuel guage acting erratic again, steering seems sticky. All updates have been done and was good for a while . All this started from each other within a couple of days. If that is not bad enough, went for a ride this monday and got freaking rear-ended by a little old lady at a red light. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SH@*. i am ok but bike is in for hopefully repair. Anyone else have any of thes problems minus the accident ????:gaah:

BajaRon
06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
went on a 300 k ride for cancer a couple of weeks ago. Spyder starts acting up, check oil lite, check enging lite, check engine scrolling message, gas smell returning, fuel guage acting erratic again, steering seems sticky. All updates have been done and was good for a while . All this started from each other within a couple of days. If that is not bad enough, went for a ride this monday and got freaking rear-ended by a little old lady at a red light. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SH@*. i am ok but bike is in for hopefully repair. Anyone else have any of thes problems minus the accident ????:gaah:
Wow! Bad news! I have not had any of these problems. I hope they can get your Spyder squared away soon.

Glad you're ok. Getting rear ended is always a hazard on a bike. Let me guess.....She didn't see you, right?

SPYDERGUY1
06-24-2010, 11:01 PM
she claims she thought i was going to go, light was red for us and oncoming traffic both ways, where the hell am I gunna go....:mad:

Saluda
06-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Sorry to hear, hope your back to spinning wheels soon.
Glad you were not hurt.

fastfraser
06-25-2010, 05:02 AM
Hope they can fix your :spyder2: Glad to here you are ok.

Amanda B
06-25-2010, 06:41 AM
she claims she thought i was going to go, light was red for us and oncoming traffic both ways, where the hell am I gunna go....:mad:

It really doesn't matter what she claims, she hit you in the rear it's her fault plain and simple. I had two occasions where the same person hit me twice! The first was a lady she hit me and so I pulled over to the side, and she hit me again. When I got out of the car, her excuse was: "Well, I missed you the first time." I was rear ended by a guy and I was in a 16 passenger van he was in a light truck. There was a car in front of me that was turning. He hit the van so hard that I had to push the breaks down as far as I could and he was still moving the van. I was trying hard not to allow the van to be pushed into the car in front of me. I guess he was going so fast he bounced off and then was still hitting the gas because he hit me again. When I got out of the van, with several children I was working with from the group home he said "You didn't have your turn signal on." To which I replied, I wasn't turning. He then looked at the kids and said "did I ruin your picnic" in a very rude tone. At that point I point blank told him it was his fault and to shut up because he was upsetting the children. The person at fault always seems to try to blame the other person. It upset me too, but it's the nature of the whole car accident thing no one wants to take responsibility and pay up for the damage they have done. Needless to say both of them were found at fault and both of them paid up. One didn't have insurance so paid out of pocket.

SpyderWolf
06-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. I am also glad you were not hurt, and hope they get your Spyder sorted out very quickly.

COOLMACHINE
06-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I have not had any of those problems. Sorry to hear you are having them. I'm glad you were not seriously hurt in the accident. Sucks being without a spyder. I hope you make it back on the road soon.

BajaRon
06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Amanda B is right. It's her fault and all the 'Reasons' in the world aren't going to change that.

I think everyone has their 'Rear-Ended' stories. I was stopped 3 cars back at a red light. The light turned green and the 1st car started out and then stalled 1/2 way into the intersection. I was the last one in line and we all stopped to wait for them to get the car started again.

The lady comming up from behind was doing the speed limit - 45mph. She saw the light turn green, saw the 1st car start out and then decided to pick up something she had dropped on the floor. :dontknow::hun:

She hit the back of my truck really hard. My head hit the rear window and I am surprised it didn't break! I didn't see it coming, there was no skid from her to warn me so I didn't have the brakes on all that hard.

She pushed me into the car ahead and my front bumper sunk into their trunk as I watched their heads snap back. The lady in that car started crying and screaming at me for hitting her! :yikes:

Just then the 1st car got it running again and drove away unblemished and happy as a clam. Made my day you can be sure of that!

Dragonrider
06-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey!! It's in Canada.. It may NOT be that clear there. In jolly old, it's now the vehicle with the highest HP that is at fault - yo get rear ended by a moped in your Merc, you are at fault....

krb1945
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear you are ok! I hope the insurance company gives you a new spyder instead of fixing the old one. If you are like me... you'd rather have a new one. Ken krb1945

Smylinacha
06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I haven't had those problems that you described and I'm sorry you got hit! Drivers just don't pay attention

Sarge707
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Hope you get your :spyder2:back SOON.
I,m at a week without mine and it sucks~!:cus:

burntup
06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Man that sucks, I haven't had the problems yet but have had bikes for six weeks but only had out of shop for two. My bike has been in shop for two weeks waiting on part that is not even available yet, but it's been shipped everyday till I called the supplier today. If I have learned anything is that if you want to know for sure better call and order it yourself if not it's always in the mail and they will not call supplier and say "where the he'll is my part". They won't even ask when I had the dealer and supplier on same line. I am gonna try new dealer just in case I start having bike break down. My bike has been in shop for just aftermarket mods:hun:

biker1
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Not nice being rearended by little old lady, guess insurance will cover it if she or you have comprehensive insurance. That's the way it works over this side of the pond anyway, person from behind is always in the wrong because they should have left enough room to stop if an emergency happens.
No cover or guarantee with my spyder and had to get a guy from England to come and install a new DPS steering unit which cost me € 1000 which is about 1200 your money. That was due to steering sticking only, none of the other problems that you have encountered yet.
Check your dealer, guarantee and get them working on it. Keep the pressure on them.
Hope all goes well for you.

YPILOT
06-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I've had that happen while on a group ride also. I think the Spyder just didn't like the company. Anyway I just removed the relays and put them back in to get the contacts cleaned off and that fixed the problem. I've never had that little old lady problem, sounds like it was a little more serious. That may require a different approach. Good Luck with :spyder2:

Raptor
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the post YPilot. I seem to be having the dreaded DPS isue. I have also had the no start issue and the defective clutch issue which is scheduled to be replaced June 30th. I bought my RS-S June 1 and now have 1726 miles on.

I am not sure about this DPS thing. All I did was stop at a gas station to top off the tank before taking a run through the woods and up the coast. After topping off, I went to start and NADA! I rolled it out of the way and fiddled with it and got it to start but once it did the CHECK DPS alarm went off. I did the :cus: ride anyway. In fact I rode harder than usual and it did just fine, but the steering felt harder than normal; I really had to throw it around. I was pissed, so this was good for me! Maybe not so smart, but when yer mad...

Anyway, I will try doing what you did and hope it clears. Seems the honeymoon is over with this thing... :(

Raptor
06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Spyderguy1, I am glad you are OK! That could have been bad. :shocked:

SPYDERGUY1
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. Received the police report in mail today. SHE IS 74 YEARS OLD< think she should be driving ? Still waiting for the damage estimate. The rest is warranty, AGAIN. Man this realy sucks.:mad:

canam9
06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Be glad your are okay. :ani29:

SPYDERGUY1
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
maybe things are gunna change, damage est $ 1200.00, dealer say's from the looks of things no backorders on parts. also getting a new oil sensor, fuel sensor, fuel smell, they are not sure, all other items checked and done........ I HOPE SO......:yikes:

SpyderWolf
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
maybe things are gunna change, damage est $ 1200.00, dealer say's from the looks of things no backorders on parts. also getting a new oil sensor, fuel sensor, fuel smell, they are not sure, all other items checked and done........ I HOPE SO......:yikes:

:2thumbs:

That sounds like some incredible news. Hope they have you fixed up and back on the road quickly.

CaptRalph
07-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I too have had more than my share of problems on my 2008 SM5. Rough running, popping, missing, etc. Three weeks ago went to Hickory, NC (trailered it up there), it had been running great. Pulled it off the trailer and took a stroll down the street. After less than 10 minutes, I tought I would not make it back to the hotel. It started overheating, running very, very rough: missing, idle RPM swinging from 1,100 to 1,800, backfiring fiercely, loss of power, etc. Lost 2 days off my vacation. On Monday I took it to Shronce Powersports who inmediately started working on it, and got me going again. Thanks again guys... I was told that my software fix to the fix (last year's recall) was never done, even though I had been assured by 3 other dealers here in central Florida that it had been done.

Ever since my :spyder2: has been running fine ( a whole 3 weeks!). Today we went on a ride, after 100 miles we stopped for a minute. When I restarted the Check Engine Light AND MESSAGE came in and the :spyder:went into limp mode. It was nowhere near being hot (4 bars, while riding never exceeded 3 bars), no oil light, nothing!!! Attempted to reset the computer by pulling the fuse and it would not reset.

Calls to BRP Roadside assistance where a huge waste of time after 2-1/2 hours they had not gotten me a tow truck. We got a ride for my wife to go home and bring our trailer, so we ended up trailering it home ourselves.

I buy new vehicles and take care of them so I don't have to put up with all these problems. I have never, ever, and I mean never, have had as many problems with a new vehicle as I have with this thing:gaah:.

I have tried ignoring all the problems. I love riding it, I enjoy the attention and the VIP feeling but I believe enough is enough! This thing is not worth all the :cus: aggravation. 4 dealers (5 if you count the one in North Carolina) can not keep it running good for more than a few days, then it's the 2-4 hour ride one way and the several days without my ride all over again.

I used to be a very happy Spyder owner, but I think after it's fixed its going to the highest bidder. What a shame...:(

boborgera
07-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Ever since my :spyder2: has been running fine ( a whole 3 weeks!). Today we went on a ride, after 100 miles we stopped for a minute. When I restarted the Check Engine Light AND MESSAGE came in and the :spyder:went into limp mode. It was nowhere near being hot (4 bars, while riding never exceeded 3 bars), no oil light, nothing!!! Attempted to reset the computer by pulling the fuse and it would not reset.

.:(

SPYDERGUY1
07-10-2010, 04:09 PM
got the call yesterday 4:30 pm. SPYDER is all done and good to go. The son of the lady that hit me went and paid for it, had to pick up this am, as never would have made it prior to close last night. Go to get ryde and dealer informs me there is a deductible owing for the warrranty ???? HUH, unit was brought in 2 weeks prior to warranty expiration, took a while for them to understand this tho. To make matters even worse still have not received my new insurance pink card which expired july 7th. WHAT next. Glad to have it back home and in the garage anyway...:gaah:

SpyderWolf
07-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Glad to hear you got the Spyder back in your own garage. Were you able to get out of the dealership without paying them a deductible? That is absolutely ridiculous if they had the Spyder before the warranty was expired.

SPYDERGUY1
07-11-2010, 10:19 PM
yes got it out of SPYDER JAIL without paying a deductible. It took the service guy a while to figure out the date from when I actually brought it in for the warranty work as opposed to the date they actually closed the warrantywork order. DUMB @$$:chill:

bone crusher
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I too have had more than my share of problems on my 2008 SM5. Rough running, popping, missing, etc. Three weeks ago went to Hickory, NC (trailered it up there), it had been running great. Pulled it off the trailer and took a stroll down the street. After less than 10 minutes, I tought I would not make it back to the hotel. It started overheating, running very, very rough: missing, idle RPM swinging from 1,100 to 1,800, backfiring fiercely, loss of power, etc. Lost 2 days off my vacation. On Monday I took it to Shronce Powersports who inmediately started working on it, and got me going again. Thanks again guys... I was told that my software fix to the fix (last year's recall) was never done, even though I had been assured by 3 other dealers here in central Florida that it had been done.

Calls to BRP Roadside assistance where a huge waste of time after 2-1/2 hours they had not gotten me a tow truck. We got a ride for my wife to go home and bring our trailer, so we ended up trailering it home ourselves.

I buy new vehicles and take care of them so I don't have to put up with all these problems. I have never, ever, and I mean never, have had as many problems with a new vehicle as I have with this thing:gaah:.

I have tried ignoring all the problems. I love riding it, I enjoy the attention and the VIP feeling but I believe enough is enough! This thing is not worth all the :cus: aggravation. 4 dealers (5 if you count the one in North Carolina) can not keep it running good for more than a few days, then it's the 2-4 hour ride one way and the several days without my ride all over again.

I used to be a very happy Spyder owner, but I think after it's fixed its going to the highest bidder. What a shame...:(

Could anything having to do with trailering it cause problems to some system(s) on the bike?

SpyderWolf
07-12-2010, 05:37 AM
yes got it out of SPYDER JAIL without paying a deductible. It took the service guy a while to figure out the date from when I actually brought it in for the warranty work as opposed to the date they actually closed the warrantywork order. DUMB @$$:chill:

Glad to hear that got worked out.