PDA

View Full Version : Battery Connections (Inspection and Cleaning)

groundeffect
06-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey there guys.
I'm wondering what you all use for cleaning your battery terminals?:dontknow:

I am referring to the maintenance chart item "Battery connections" - Owners manual page 85 I,C (inspect and clean).

Any specific type of solution for this?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Cheers.
Dean

Sarge707
06-21-2010, 04:42 PM
:dontknow:Lemon Pledge?:yikes: Works on everything else?:roflblack:

boborgera
06-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey there guys.
I'm wondering what you all use for cleaning your battery terminals?:dontknow:

I am referring to the maintenance chart item "Battery connections" - Owners manual page 85 I,C (inspect and clean).

Any specific type of solution for this?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Cheers.
Dean

:2thumbs:
Baking Soda mix with water, make it onto a paste, then wash off with water. Also you can buy a battery cleaner with baking soda in a spray can at Auto Zone.

groundeffect
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
:dontknow:Lemon Pledge?:yikes: Works on everything else?:roflblack:

haha ;)

groundeffect
06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
:2thumbs:
Baking Soda mix with water, make it onto a paste, then wash off with water. Also you can buy a battery cleaner with baking soda in a spray can at Auto Zone.

Just finished reading over the shop manual on battery cleaning and maintenance and said exactly that, a mix of Baking soda with water. It did not give a ratio of baking soda/water. However, I just read a few google hits that suggestions 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water. That would get that paste you've mentioned.

Basically it seemed to be recommended to let the mix/paste sit a while (apply with tooth brush and scrub a little) on the terminals (5-8mins) for it to clean and eat up any corrosion, then wipe it off with a clean moist cloth. Let fully dry before reinstalling battery and connections/screws to posts.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with baking soda and water and save myself the trip to the shop. This is the best way really, especially seeing as how I have the panels off right now. Riding without the panels, maybe not a great idea, especially in the rain ;) we're getting this evening.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Dean

sabunim5
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
+1 on the baking soda and water. Don't worry about ryding in the rain with the panels off. I have done it several times with no problems at all.

groundeffect
06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
+1 on the baking soda and water. Don't worry about ryding in the rain with the panels off. I have done it several times with no problems at all.

Thanks for the reply.

I mixed up a solution today, but in order to get a paste I needed more like 1 part water and 6 parts baking soda. I used a small brush, pulled the battery out, checked the connections, cleaned the terminals, cleaned the battery case and housing. I wiped down the terminals with with a damp cloth and then blow it with canned air, let it dry for a couple hours while I was working on other things. Seems to have worked out nicely. All clean out. I reinstalled and of course had to reset the clock.

Interesting about ryding in the rain with the panels of ha-ha. I love working on my Spyder when it's raining out, if I'm not commuting in it, that is.
Cheers guys.