PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the mountains

smokster
06-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Went for what I thought was going to be a well deserved day off. Have not ridden for 3 weeks.
Took the Ortega Hwy to almost the top then within seconds, I have no antifreeze and the engine is in limp mode and overheated.
All the fluid came out of the seam the picture shows. Not sure if a clamp is suppose to be there because it is two pieces that just opened up. The dealer said it is one piece, but the middle section clearly is two pieces that broke a seal of some sort.
AAA never showed after 2 1/2 hours and it was 90 + with no shade. Had to get a ride home and come back with a trailer. A 1 hour ride took 7 hours to recover. from. New day tomorrow....

Not sure if others have had or know what causes this.

WackyDan
06-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd say AAA has some explaining to do.

COOLMACHINE
06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Certainly not how I would want to spend my day. Sorry for your woes. Hopefully you will be back on the Spyder ASAP.

WackyDan
06-20-2010, 01:18 AM
I believe that is the thermostat housing.... Never heard of one of those going on a Spyder.

NancysToy
06-20-2010, 05:39 AM
The thermostat is one piece. Like WackyDan said...unusual failure.

Latemarch
06-20-2010, 05:55 AM
You have the dubious distinction of having the first one that I've heard of fail. :yikes:

Your dealer is correct in that it has no clamp around it. But you are correct that it is two (actually more if you include the stuff inside) pieces put together at the factory though not intended to ever come apart.

You needed a farmer or a redneck in a trailer nearby :D
A hose and a couple of clamps and some water would have had you on your way. :2thumbs:

BajaRon
06-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Ah! The Ortega Highway! A beautiful ride but a nasty place to fight fire...

Of course I love both but spent more time fighting fire on that road than enjoying the ride.

I am with the rest of the posts. You have had a 1 and only thermostat housing failure. If Lamont weighs in on this thread he can verify it as he knows everything!

smokster
06-20-2010, 11:59 AM
You have the dubious distinction of having the first one that I've heard of fail. :yikes:

Your dealer is correct in that it has no clamp around it. But you are correct that it is two (actually more if you include the stuff inside) pieces put together at the factory though not intended to ever come apart.

You needed a farmer or a redneck in a trailer nearby :D
A hose and a couple of clamps and some water would have had you on your way. :2thumbs:
Lucky me. I have just over 30 k.

aka1004
06-20-2010, 12:03 PM
mine is going in for thermostat replacement on wednesday but it's more of thermostat failure itself than the housing.
its' kinda hard to see but that does not look like thermostat housing. dealer showed me a new thermo housing and it's skinnier and housed in y-connector.

SpyderWolf
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you going to be asking AAA for some of your membership money back? :mad:

smokster
06-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Not a great picture, but this is where all the fluids came from.
Guess they had to go somewhere.
Maybe we (me) need to carry an extra one.

aka1004
06-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Not a great picture, but this is where all the fluids came from.
Guess they had to go somewhere.
Maybe we (me) need to carry an extra one.

housing must have been changed. the one that my dealer showed me was a bit different but basically same config and looked a lot more durable than that.:dontknow:

Star Cruiser
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Went for what I thought was going to be a well deserved day off. Have not ridden for 3 weeks.
Took the Ortega Hwy to almost the top then within seconds, I have no antifreeze and the engine is in limp mode and overheated.
All the fluid came out of the seam the picture shows. Not sure if a clamp is suppose to be there because it is two pieces that just opened up. The dealer said it is one piece, but the middle section clearly is two pieces that broke a seal of some sort.
AAA never showed after 2 1/2 hours and it was 90 + with no shade. Had to get a ride home and come back with a trailer. A 1 hour ride took 7 hours to recover. from. New day tomorrow....

Not sure if others have had or know what causes this.

Mine had a break in the reservoir. It happened while I was in Daytona beach during Bike Week. Dealer (Daytona Fun Machines) replaced it under warranty. Overheated and then reverted to limp mode, so I "limped" to the dealer from Bunnell. I hadn't heard of it happening to anyone else until now.

smokster
06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you going to be asking AAA for some of your membership money back? :mad:
Nah, not worth the trouble.
The event is over, on to the next

superfly3
06-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Had to get a ride home and come back with a trailer. A 1 hour ride took 7 hours to recover. from. New day tomorrow....

You left your spyder there alone:yikes: I don't think I would have done that.

smokster
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
You left your spyder there alone:yikes: I don't think I would have done that.
30,000 miles, could use a new one from insurance...thought about it, but after 2 1/2 hours I needed to get results...all ended well. Just have to wait for the part now.

smokster
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
One of the things I did not mention while baking in the sun that day.
Two separate Spyders rode by and never stopped to see if I needed help (maybe some water), where's the unity?
I was a bit disappointed, but yet, it's the bike that is cool, not necessarily the rider.

grumpybob
06-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Two separate Spyders rode by and never stopped to see if I needed help (maybe some water), where's the unity?
I was a bit disappointed, but yet, it's the bike that is cool, not necessarily the rider.

If the bike is cool the rider should also be cool!! Our society has gone to far downhill. Sorry to hear that they didn't stop and try to give you a hand!!

SpyderWolf
06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
If the bike is cool the rider should also be cool!! Our society has gone to far downhill. Sorry to hear that they didn't stop and try to give you a hand!!

:agree: At the very least I would have expected them to stop and say hi. :dontknow:

CRUCIFIED
06-21-2010, 10:18 PM

What did they look like....the spyders?

smokster
06-22-2010, 09:33 AM
What did they look like....the spyders?
Like yours:roflblack:
Was not focused on them, no big deal. The big deal is that the Spyder is down and waiting to get back on the road

mxz600
06-22-2010, 11:19 AM

One thing for sure, they were not members of Spyderlovers.com:lecturef_smilie:

obiwanbill
06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I have AAA RV Plus which takes care of both car and Spyder. Over the years, been left high and dry by AAA twice...once with my Honda 1100T (flat tire) and 5 yrs years ago and with the Spyder (battery failure) last year.

Each time (I'm a 34 yr AAA member) I went in the office and complained about how a towing mgr had dissed me with lousy service. Both times, the head mgr agreed with me about crappy attitude and anti-motorcycle attitudes of his people.

Both times they gave me a written apology, wrote off my membership cost ($150) for the next year and gave me a couple free oil changes at AAA Carcare Plus.

AAA, like any business can F up...if not held accountable, the big mgrs never hear of any problems and crap service becomes the norm.

SpyderWolf
06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I have AAA RV Plus which takes care of both car and Spyder. Over the years, been left high and dry by AAA twice...once with my Honda 1100T (flat tire) and 5 yrs years ago and with the Spyder (battery failure) last year.

Each time (I'm a 34 yr AAA member) I went in the office and complained about how a towing mgr had dissed me with lousy service. Both times, the head mgr agreed with me about crappy attitude and anti-motorcycle attitudes of his people.

Both times they gave me a written apology, wrote off my membership cost ($150) for the next year and gave me a couple free oil changes at AAA Carcare Plus.

AAA, like any business can F up...if not held accountable, the big mgrs never hear of any problems and crap service becomes the norm.

Sounds like it might be worthwhile to make a complaint in this case then. If nothing else happens, it at least lets the big mgrs know the smaller guys are screwing things up.

smokster
06-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Spyder 294 is back on the road, man I love this bike:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
06-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Spyder 294 is back on the road, man I love this bike:2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

Glad to hear they got you back on the road! Have fun, and ryde safe.

bjt
06-24-2010, 07:32 AM

+1

smokster
06-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Funny thing is the antifreeze (ICE) replacement was more than the part itself.
Labor was an easy install even this caveman could do it.:ohyea: