PDA

View Full Version : special thanks to whackydan

bone crusher
06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Dan,

Thank you for posting the directions for changing out the exhaust gaskets. A friend of mine and I did this last night to the tune of 1.5 hours...the hardest part was jacking up the bike without a 'bike specific' jack of any type...

Your directions were clear and easy to follow...having a rubber mallet is a must...we didn't have one so we used two hammers (hit the handle of one).

For the record, I wish some of the product sponsors here would take great pics as you did and make the directions very clear...I sometimes feel as though directions from some of the merchants are made for those who are more mechanically inclined...I hope they 'dummy' some instructions down in the future as we're all not on the same level with working on bikes...I, for one, really appreciate big pictures and clear/concise directions, leaving nothing out!

The installation was straight forward and worked exactly as you wrote...the right gasket was pretty much destroyed and the left looked 'okay.' I will say that after the change, the exhaust was much more smooth, losing a lot of the extra sound it was getting over time.

Thank you again...really much appreciated...

Firefly
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Did you go with the Honda's ??

If so, I think you'll be set for quite some time.:thumbup:

Rando
06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Ditto from me!

bone crusher
06-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Yupster on the Honda ones....they fit a little tighter (hence the need for the mallet)...amazing how the bike sound changes! My hindle sounds like it did when I first got it! :ohyea:

nudle
06-19-2010, 09:05 AM
:agree:

Yazz
06-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Dan,

Thank you for posting the directions for changing out the exhaust gaskets. A friend of mine and I did this last night to the tune of 1.5 hours...the hardest part was jacking up the bike without a 'bike specific' jack of any type...

Your directions were clear and easy to follow...having a rubber mallet is a must...we didn't have one so we used two hammers (hit the handle of one).

For the record, I wish some of the product sponsors here would take great pics as you did and make the directions very clear...I sometimes feel as though directions from some of the merchants are made for those who are more mechanically inclined...I hope they 'dummy' some instructions down in the future as we're all not on the same level with working on bikes...I, for one, really appreciate big pictures and clear/concise directions, leaving nothing out!

The installation was straight forward and worked exactly as you wrote...the right gasket was pretty much destroyed and the left looked 'okay.' I will say that after the change, the exhaust was much more smooth, losing a lot of the extra sound it was getting over time.

Thank you again...really much appreciated...

Dan, your directions, pictures and handy hints made the job pretty smooth. First time I ever used 'Ol Bessy the mallet on a byke.

A picture's worth a thousand words...:firstplace:

dltang
06-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Okay, I know I should search for it, but can someone post the link, I think I will be putting on my Honda Gaskets and doing my oil change tomorrow.

Big Arm
06-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Think this is what you're looking for Deb
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19691

dltang
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Think this is what you're looking for Deb
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19691

Thanks Larry.

WackyDan
06-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I find pictures are indeed worth many words when it comes to doing something for the first time. I enjoy being able to contribute to the forum this way.

bone crusher
06-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Okay, it's 'wacky', not 'whacky'....sorry Dan...wasn't sure which it was late when I was starting the thread...either is correct (spelling-wise)...my bad...just picked the wrong one...drats!

Regardless, your are stellar!

Spyderjuice
06-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Okay, it's 'wacky', not 'whacky'....sorry Dan...wasn't sure which it was late when I was starting the thread...either is correct (spelling-wise)...my bad...just picked the wrong one...drats!

Regardless, your are stellar!

:agree: However, I've met him and I think either would work :roflblack:

Stan

SSG Bean
06-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Most replacement parts do not come with any instructions at all. Additionally, I think most manufacturers prefer that parts are installed by qualified mechanics. From that standpoint, I'm sure they'd take the position that if you need details to do a fairly simple job, you may want to rethink doing anything that can greatly impact vehicular performance or safety.

I don't intend to insult you or your ability, because I don't know you at all, so please take my commentary as a conversation as to why many manufacturers don't have documentation written to the lowest common denominator. Also, I know this replacement job isn't as critical as brakes or steering, but manufacturers are always concerned with liability. When ISCI first introduced their handbrake mod, I think they were only going to sell to qualified motorcycle mechanics for this very reason.

bone crusher
06-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Most replacement parts do not come with any instructions at all. Additionally, I think most manufacturers prefer that parts are installed by qualified mechanics. From that standpoint, I'm sure they'd take the position that if you need details to do a fairly simple job, you may want to rethink doing anything that can greatly impact vehicular performance or safety.

I don't intend to insult you or your ability, because I don't know you at all, so please take my commentary as a conversation as to why many manufacturers don't have documentation written to the lowest common denominator. Also, I know this replacement job isn't as critical as brakes or steering, but manufacturers are always concerned with liability. When ISCI first introduced their handbrake mod, I think they were only going to sell to qualified motorcycle mechanics for this very reason.

Bean,

Some of the sponsors here make products that are supposed to be (purported by them) to be easy to install...so the directions lack good pictures and the wording is sometimes tough to follow.

I admit I'm not a grease monkey but I shouldn't have to be for the 'easy' installations...once I get many of these done, I find they are easy, but it usually takes me a long while to figure out what the heck the directions are saying...that takes longer than the actual install.

I ask for the merchants to do what Dan did...simply take really good pics, describe install step by step, and use language that everyone can understand.

Look, I'm a high level sports rehab doc. I also teach fitness professionals. I can teach the same material to doctors or to a group of patients...you had better believe the wording I use is very different so that my audience can follow what I am teaching...this is what we need here...they should assume the lowest common denominator (me!) and then going forward, NOBODY should have a problem with installations. I believe at this point in time, the instructions are more geared toward those with a higher level of mechanical knowledge, even though all of us should be able to do the installs...and again, I do find the installs to be fun and feasible...provided I can figure out the directions...

I really like the way Dan created his instructions...if you notice, nobody will have a problem following them...those step by step instructions, with HUGE pictures, really help!

wyliec
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Bean,

Some of the sponsors here make products that are supposed to be (purported by them) to be easy to install...so the directions lack good pictures and the wording is sometimes tough to follow.

I admit I'm not a grease monkey but I shouldn't have to be for the 'easy' installations...once I get many of these done, I find they are easy, but it usually takes me a long while to figure out what the heck the directions are saying...that takes longer than the actual install.

I ask for the merchants to do what Dan did...simply take really good pics, describe install step by step, and use language that everyone can understand.

Look, I'm a high level sports rehab doc. I also teach fitness professionals. I can teach the same material to doctors or to a group of patients...you had better believe the wording I use is very different so that my audience can follow what I am teaching...this is what we need here...they should assume the lowest common denominator (me!) and then going forward, NOBODY should have a problem with installations. I believe at this point in time, the instructions are more geared toward those with a higher level of mechanical knowledge, even though all of us should be able to do the installs...and again, I do find the installs to be fun and feasible...provided I can figure out the directions...

I really like the way Dan created his instructions...if you notice, nobody will have a problem following them...those step by step instructions, with HUGE pictures, really help!

This may be the first time I agree with what you are saying. You are 100% correct.

bone crusher
06-20-2010, 04:20 PM
This may be the first time I agree with what you are saying. You are 100% correct.

Hmmmmm...I don't know how to take that...but thank you! I hope we can agree on more going forward...

ynot
06-20-2010, 05:15 PM
met dan saturday, he is a wealth of information and a fine young man.