PDA

View Full Version : qasamms Mods

qasamm
06-17-2010, 04:35 AM
My mods include-

Can-am- Phantom Spyder edition, rear rack, backrest, tank protector, side panel trim/protectors

Street Magic- 3d cut w/black anodized finish: clutch lever, clutch reservoir cover, brake covers, license plate light

KewlMetal- mirror extensions, handle-bar accents

SpyderPops- missing air dam

Independence Machine- 2" steering riser, black anodized

Corbin- 2 piece seat with rider/driver backrest

Other- trunk release spring, black aluminum tire stem caps

qasamm
07-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Corbin seat now mounted and RT shocks up front. Yesterday was a productive evening!

The seat took a bit over 2 weeks to get here from the order date- not too bad considering this is the busy season. Workmanship seemed rushed though. Nothing major but the threads were not cleaned up well and the order name could still be seen on the side where they had scribbled it in crayon. I used some leather cleaner to remove the writing and took a few minutes to dethread the stitching where loose pieces were sticking out.

Shocks were a new experience for me. I ordered the parts as suggested in another thread. To assemble the shocks I bought a cheap set of coil compressors from Harbor Freight (we have a store locally). Process was pretty straight forward.

Now to test it all out over the next few days.

SpyderWolf
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Sounds good so far, but we could use some more pictures. :D :2thumbs:

qasamm
07-11-2010, 09:32 AM
So on the advice posted here at SpyderLovers I bought a set of RT shocks to mount on my RS. I was really unhappy with the factory shocks- either too mushy or hard but didn't want to spend a grand on aftermarket shocks.

I bought a cheap $10 set of spring compressors from Harbor Freight- they are a bit too big for motorcycle springs but worked. I pulled the trunk off to do the switch and used a floor jack to raise the Spyder just a bit. Install took about an hour after I had the shocks setup and the trunk removed. 4 bolts and nuts mount the shocks and I have the front dress up kit so I needed to remove the bolt and nut covers too.

I found raising the bike on the jack was needed to get the old shocks out and the new ones in between the A arms. I slapped everything together and lowered the jack. The hard part was then having to leave from a work trip for a few days.

Since I've been back I've been riding around the streets I am really familiar with and the shock adjusters at the same setting I had on the stock shocks. A noticeable difference for the better. More of an on-rails feeling with no slop when carving through corners. Bumps are much more bearable- some of the roads around here are quite rough and I can't imagine 2-wheeling down them without some scary moments.

Overall, the RT shock upgrade cost ~$250 with the shipping and the spring tool. A good investment and worthwhile upgrade. + the RT shock springs are black- adding to the Phantom finish of my Spyder.

SpyderWolf
07-11-2010, 08:30 PM
:congrats:

The RT shocks sound like they were a very good upgrade for you.

qasamm
07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Day off today spent mounting the Givi R35 saddlebags and just as I was finishing the ups guy pulls up with my Corbin topbox. What's a guy to do? I already had my tools out and it was only noon.

All things considered the installs went pretty flawless. Still missing the bag inserts, the seller forgot them in the original shipment.

BTW- I ordered the Topbox from Corbin and was clear that I wanted a flat black finish to match the Phantom finish. Well... I receive this nice gloss black box. I'm done dealing with Corbin, it looks OK and did I mention I'm done dealing with Corbin?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=781&pictureid=11025

qasamm
08-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Latest additions:

Easy Rider handle risers- took out the 2" riser block and added these. Easy enough install and look/feel great.

Hindle Exhaust- nice! Took 15 minutes and most of that was spent finding my wrenches. Burned them in per the instructions and now my powerful Spyder sounds powerful.

Eddie
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
LOOKING GOOD :2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
:congrats: on the recent additions.

qasamm
09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
A few more additions over the past few weeks-
- Triple Play
- NoMagicNeon Fender Tips
- NMN Mudflap LEDs
- NMN Brightsides (one of the units has 4 dead LEDS! Contacted ESI and await their advice on what to do.)
- KewlMetal Passenger Pegs (too long for use with the GIVI bags. Awaiting reply from ESI on exchange.)

Last 2 are frustrating but I am sure ESI will do right. I also have a set of LEDs to be installed in the Givi bags but given my recent luck I'm going to wait until I have a nice block of time and get the other things sorted out.

SpyderWolf
09-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you have been very busy lately also. :congrats: on the new installs, and best of luck with the 2 you are currently having problems with.

qasamm
09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Yea for ESI! I received my replacement Brightside and shorter pegs today. They won't get touched until this weekend because I'm traveling for work but they will get put on this Saturday in time for the Brain Tumor ride on Sunday.

Desert Spyder
09-24-2010, 07:06 AM
What about the rear shock? Any plans to do that?

Bob Denman
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
You have certainly been busier than a one-armed paper hanger during a hurricane! The fun of owning anything that is mass produced is in the transformation of it into a personalized work of art that reflects you as the owner. :2thumbs:

qasamm
11-21-2010, 12:13 PM
So unable to resist going further I've taken care of a few more add-ons in the past month. I did some ordering from ESI and added black Spyder pegs using the foot rest plates they offer. Easy install except for the when I put the first one on backwards! Holes line up and everything but puts the pegs way up front almost at the wheels. Rode with them and love em. I also replaced the BRP billet front axle covers with black and chrome spider/web cut ones to match my shift lever, rear axle covers and a few other accents. Unlike the BRP covers these spin with the wheels.

I added the "right size" passenger spider pegs after exchanging those that were too long. I also added the belt tensioner offered by one of the Spyderlover members and was very happy with the result.

The other major mod I did was to rip out the airbox and replace it with the Kewlmetal HP setup. I don't even hear my Hindle anymore but my wife does not seem to notice being closer to the exhaust noise.

My winter project includes a Corbin fairing I picked up on the 4 sale forum. Its the wrong color but was the right price. I will refinish it before mounting it. I'm not sure I like the look of it but I love the concept so will give it a try. I do like my F1 slider windshield and want to see how the Corbin compares.

Another winter project is to "black out" my 6 spoke wheels. I've spent the past few years learning how to work with vinyl covering and think I can do a good job of covering the brushed metal portion of the wheels with some high quality vinyl. Since I have a vinyl plotter/cutter I may try to create a plot shape to repeat the 12 covers that will be needed. I may also be able to make these available to others to do the same.

Did I mention I love my Sypder, love working on it and riding?:thumbup:

Roy's Bassets
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Has anyone but the rear air shock from the RT on the RS, will it work? I did see a RS spyder at sis with a air shock.:dontknow:

NancysToy
11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Has anyone but the rear air shock from the RT on the RS, will it work? I did see a RS spyder at sis with a air shock.:dontknow:
The RT has two rear suspension supports...a dampened, soft coil-over shock (non-adjustable) and the non-dampened air "shock". Neither has sufficient beef to handle the entire load, and the air "shock" has no dampening so it can't work as a shock absorber. Sorry, you would need the Penske or an alternate true air suspension/shock absorber combo

SpyderWolf
11-22-2010, 06:50 AM

That was most likely the system that Kewl Metal sells.

qasamm
12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
My winter mod project pieces are here! I bought a set of stock 3 spoke wheels for cheap and am having them coated in black. They will then have a set of Michelen tires.

I also received a used Corbin fairing that will be refinished in black to match my Corbin topbox. Neither refinishing job will be done by myself- beyond my skillset. I am supporting a local non-BRP shop who has been nothing but helpful with gear and a huge contributor to the local riding community.

SpyderWolf
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
My winter mod project pieces are here! I bought a set of stock 3 spoke wheels for cheap and am having them coated in black. They will then have a set of Michelen tires.

I also received a used Corbin fairing that will be refinished in black to match my Corbin topbox. Neither refinishing job will be done by myself- beyond my skillset. I am supporting a local non-BRP shop who has been nothing but helpful with gear and a huge contributor to the local riding community.

Sounds like an interesting plan. Best of luck with it. :thumbup:

qasamm
04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Today I added the dayrunner pucks and strips to my Spyder front end for even better visibility. Kick a$$!!! They look great and were easy to add. Love that their switchable too.

SpyderWolf
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Must post pictures. :D

:congrats:

qasamm
04-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Pic from from with only dayrunners on.

Also added pic of rear runners.

SpyderWolf
04-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Pic from from with only dayrunners on.

Also added pic of rear runners.