PDA

View Full Version : I just want to be honest and forthcoming.

COOLMACHINE
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Hello Everyone. I'd like to make a short statement regarding the way I see negativity in the forum. I just want to be honest and forthcoming with my comments on this sight regarding the Spyder I own. I love the thing and it is so much fun to ride but when one of the things I enjoy the most in life is letting me down and leaving me sitting at home for months at a time, it hits a nerve every now and then. I've never experienced this with Suzuki or Kawasaki and to be experiencing this on a BRP is not making me happy with the brand. The extended down time is ridiculous. I'm single, divorced and no kids. What else do I have to do for fun? I average a thousand miles a month on this thing and going to work and coming back home combined is only 16 miles a day. So God knows I have fun on this machine. I just want it back. Fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Without manufacture back order parts. :gaah:
Now if I were a new spyder ryder or someone considering buying a spyder, I would want to know as much information as possible. I would be looking on this website for insite into purchasing a spyder. I would want to hear it all. Not just the positives. I don't believe a person can have too much information when researching something they want to purchase.
For me, the proof is in the pudding. If there are positives involved with my spyder, I say them and if there are negatives, I say them too. That's the way I roll!
If you do not want to read the negatives on this website, feel free to move past them without blinking an eye, you're not gonna hurt my feelings. :) But I believe there is a place for them on this forum as well as the positives.
There... now take this thread along with a $1.25 to the coffee house and buy a cup of coffee with it.
Alright then. :D Have fun on that darn machine will ya? :)

musicarcade
06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
My ryde to work is 16 miles one way. Most of it is highway and most of it scenic When i'm on my :spyder:I look forward to going to work as much as i can't wait to get home. The Spyder makes all the difference.

boborgera
06-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Hello Everyone. I'd like to make a short statement regarding the way I see negativity in the forum.
Now if I were a new spyder ryder or someone considering buying a spyder, I would want to know as much information as possible. I would be looking on this website for insite into purchasing a spyder. I would want to hear it all. Not just the positives. I don't believe a person can have too much information when researching something they want to purchase.

:agree::thumbup:

xpeschon
06-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Well spoken COOLMACHINE.. Agreed.. I see you are from the St. Louis Area, just a question,, first of all I agree with your statement, everything about the spyder is not a positive one for sure, when it comes to me ONLY--I do infact post both positive and negative..

Now for the Question:: What dealership are you using? Are you getting the support you need with the dealership? Could possible be the problem, Just putting that out there..

Joe
(X)

SpyderWolf
06-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Hello Everyone. I'd like to make a short statement regarding the way I see negativity in the forum. I just want to be honest and forthcoming with my comments on this sight regarding the Spyder I own. I love the thing and it is so much fun to ride but when one of the things I enjoy the most in life is letting me down and leaving me sitting at home for months at a time, it hits a nerve every now and then. I've never experienced this with Suzuki or Kawasaki and to be experiencing this on a BRP is not making me happy with the brand. The extended down time is ridiculous. I'm single, divorced and no kids. What else do I have to do for fun? I average a thousand miles a month on this thing and going to work and coming back home combined is only 16 miles a day. So God knows I have fun on this machine. I just want it back. Fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Without manufacture back order parts. :gaah:
For me, the proof is in the pudding. If there are positives involved with my spyder, I say them and if there are negatives, I say them too. That's the way I roll!
If you do not want to read the negatives on this website, feel free to move past them without blinking an eye, you're not gonna hurt my feelings. :) But I believe there is a place for them on this forum as well as the positives.
There... now take this thread along with a $1.25 to the coffee house and buy a cup of coffee with it.
Alright then. :D Have fun on that darn machine will ya? :)

Very well stated, and I completely understand your feelings on the situation as well. All sides of the Spyder need to be shown in order for people to make logical decisions on the purchase.

What really bothers me though, is that some people have dealers that are able to fix their Spyders very quickly for the same issue that others are being told the parts are on back order. :dontknow: I know I read a post yesterday by Vordak about having the clutch recall done already, and he stated his dealer ordered a bunch of the kits in advance and is doing 3 or 4 a day. Others have been told they don't know when the parts are even going to ship. So, it is fairly obvious that something is broken with that communication path. I also agree that in today's world there is no reason someone should have to wait for a month to get a part delivered.

I wish you the best with getting your Spyder issues resolved quickly.

I don't drink coffee, so I will pocket the $1.25 and use it toward fuel in my Spyder. :thumbup: It's time for me to head to work now.

dave01
06-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Well written post. I agree that the positives and the negatives of any item or machine need to be heard. Spyders are selling out here in Fl, so they still and always will have positive points. Time sitting in the shop, waiting on BACKORDERED parts, seemingly lack of skilled techs at some shops, and the inability to completly and properly diagnose issues shed a dark cloud that new or prospective purchasers become leery of. I have seen a new RTS sitting in the shop for over 3 weeks for a rear shock issue that has the techs and so far BRP baffled.
For now, my dealer lets me go back and work with the tech on my Spyder. Not that I am all qualified, but I have orn this thing down to the frame or close to it and have a decent working knowledge of the parts. Changed out the headlight assy, hooked up the BUDS and replaced the plugs yesterday while the tech was doing the 6K service. Was a lot of fun and saved some cash this way.

rnet
06-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Inquiring minds need to know the whole story. :agree:

pjp623
06-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Part of the problem--at least in my area--is the lack of Spyder dealers, especially as compared to Can Am dealers on the whole. If BRP would allow all Can Am dealers to work on the Spyders and equip them to do so, we would be able to get our machines back on the road in a much more timely manner. Just my buck and a quarter, and I don't even drink coffee. :bowdown:

MoonChaser213
06-17-2010, 07:28 AM
but Facts are Facts. What one person might look at as negative feed is only educational material for me. I'm not handy with working on my own Spyder and I am having problems. I just hopped on my Honda Shadow and rode , never thinking about it breaking down, trusting the machine to get me where I want to go and Back. I don't trust my Spyder. I hope someday this will change.Anyway , what I'm saying is, all news is important news to me:doorag:

musicarcade
06-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Part of the problem--at least in my area--is the lack of Spyder dealers, especially as compared to Can Am dealers on the whole. If BRP would allow all Can Am dealers to work on the Spyders and equip them to do so, we would be able to get our machines back on the road in a much more timely manner. Just my buck and a quarter, and I don't even drink coffee. :bowdown:

I have been told they can.
I have a Yamaha Dealer that is 5 miles from me that sells the Sea Doos.
I stopped in to buy a quart of oil because I didn't have any and thought perhaps I should in case I run low (duh). I asked him why they didn't sell Spyders and he stated that BRP wanted him to change his place too much for them and it wasn't worth it. He went on to say that he uses BUDS for the Sea doos and he could service my Spyder if I needed it, but I haven't tested him on it.

My Spyder is under warranty and he wouldn't be able to get reimbursed from BRP for warranty work. Perhaps if he could, and others could that have BUDS ?:dontknow:

NancysToy
06-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I guess I am a bit taken back about all the comment lately regarding negative posts. I really don't see this forum as highly slanted toward either the positive or negative side. Serious bashing has stopped, for the most part, and only the issues and difficulties are being discussed. Every day I read enthusiastic posts by new owners, ride reports, and greetings to new members. I also read about the problems and recalls. I don't think either side outweighs the other here.

Like many, I believe a prospective buyer should be aware of the possible shortcomings by doing research at sites like this. I know we did just exactly that before we bought Nancy's GS. If a person is smart enough to do the research, he or she should realize that posts about problems will be passionate, and may seem more prevalent than the rate at which they actually occur. If this scares people away, so be it, but to me it is important information.

The forum is no different than asking your friends. It is up to the reader to assign a value to their comments and decide what to look into further, and what information to discard. I personally don't think this forum has hurt Spyder ownership nearly as much as it has helped. Some folks may have been scared away, but several have posted that they dove in partly because of this fine group, and the civil, helpful threads on the forum. I hope we continue to hear about both the good and the bad here.

FANG
06-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I guess I am a bit taken back about all the comment lately regarding negative posts. I really don't see this forum as highly slanted toward either the positive or negative side. Serious bashing has stopped, for the most part, and only the issues and difficulties are being discussed. Every day I read enthusiastic posts by new owners, ride reports, and greetings to new members. I also read about the problems and recalls. I don't think either side outweighs the other here.

Like many, I believe a prospective buyer should be aware of the possible shortcomings by doing research at sites like this. I know we did just exactly that before we bought Nancy's GS. If a person is smart enough to do the research, he or she should realize that posts about problems will be passionate, and may seem more prevalent than the rate at which they actually occur. If this scares people away, so be it, but to me it is important information.

The forum is no different than asking your friends. It is up to the reader to assign a value to their comments and decide what to look into further, and what information to discard. I personally don't think this forum has hurt Spyder ownership nearly as much as it has helped. Some folks may have been scared away, but several have posted that they dove in partly because of this fine group, and the civil, helpful threads on the forum. I hope we continue to hear about both the good and the bad here.

:2thumbs::clap: :agree:

COOLMACHINE
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the positive responses everybody. Make no mistake about it, I do love the fun of this machine!

I am currently using Saint Louis Power Sports in Fenton, Mo. and am very pleased with them. They have always done me right. One of the things I really like about them is they are not going to give me back my Spyder until it is actually fixed! Unlike the big dealership in Alton, IL.
In 2006, I bought a 2005 Kaw Vulcan 2000cc bike from SLPS (St. Louis Power Sports) and had a very positive experience with the bike and dealership! When I went and test rode this great new machine called a Can-Am Spyder, I loved it and sold my Kaw to buy one.
I want the Spyder fun with the Kaw reliability. I will probably have to have both in order to be completely satisfied. When the Spyder goes into the shop for its next long down time repair.... I want to have something to keep me on the road. Again, "Riding" is what I do with my free time. It hurts missing this spring and early summer time riding, that's for sure.

pjp623
06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Very well put Scotty, I find that this forum acts as much a support group as anything else. It's certainly helped me. Let's keep it going as is! :chat:

sandrunr1
06-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Three months ago, we bought a 2009 :spyder2:RS. My wife had seen it on Miami CSI and I went on line and found them. We went to the dealer in Henderson, Nevada and I did tell her we were just looking for now. She put her hand on the handlebars and her fingers stuck. They would not let go till the sold sign was attached. We now have 2600 miles on it and she loves it more every day. She finishes work at 2 pm and at 2 05 she is headed out the door with a see ya later to me. I bought an inexpensive 2 wheeler so I could go with her without ryding double. It has been a trouble free 2600 miles and the 2 wheeler I bought is a 1983 Honda V45 750. My wife can be a bikeacondyrak if I dont watch. At least I am able to do service on both machines and as soon as we have the money put away, we will being purchasing our 2nd :spyder2:. Hard to wait but if we dont pay for it we dont buy it. Great forum. Love it here.:thumbup:

murphybrown
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Well stated. For me I gather all facts (good, bad & opinions with no factual truth) and then make the decision that WORKS FOR ME. This forum has absolutely been a life saver for me and my short time Spyder ownership. I am totally not a mechanic...have never owned a motorcycle of any kind...and my servicing dealer is almost 4 hours away (1 way)...because of this forum I have been ahead of the curve on 2 recalls; finding the right lights to add to make me & Ms. Spyder more visible...plus many other helpful & necessary (for me) information that is making my Spyder ownership a positive experience. Does my Spyder have issues? Sure, albeit minor in comparison...I DO NOT like issues....but I gather facts, see what is reasonable vs. unreasonable and start finding solution. I'm to dang old to waste my time & energy getting my panties in a wad over something I cannot or should not be controlling. Do what I can...learn from the experience...treat others with respect and hopefully, today, the Spyder will turn over and run like the fine machine "she" is ...

Firefly
06-17-2010, 01:28 PM

:agree:

Well said... and people need to understand some of the problems have been BRP--- and some have been the DEALERS...

I've been fortunate that in 19,000 miles the longest in the shop was 5 days for the steering fix, which you have no choice but to have them do--- but everything else I can I'll do myself.

Two weeks is my limit for Spyder being in a shop - I wouldn't tolerate anything more for one specific problem - with the possible exception of an engine rebuild - nothing else should take that long. Obviously if you have numerous problems this could take longer---but in this day and age there is no excuse for such long service times.

I've started 'collecting' the various parts that are common to go out and cause problems (bearings,oil sensor, drain plugs, O-rings, Seals, etc.) so that if my dealer doesn't have it-- I do!

Prime example would be the oil pressure sensor----

I had an oil leak-- and rather than deal with the dealer on it-- I waited it out until I narrowed it down-- and swapped the sensor myself ($9.00 part) while I was doing an oil change. No sense having the bike in the shop for an extended amount of time if I can fix it myself for $9.00.

I still think most have been happy with their Spyder, but service and dealer support is hard to gauge.

bikeguy
06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
My own experience with my Spyder has been almost 100% positive but some of that is due to the negative postings I've read on Spyderlovers. For instance, several people have had problems with the lock barrell pulling out of the rear trunk and having to be replaced. Mine has to be in just the right position when the key is removed or it wants to hang up. I knew there was a potential problem from reading about it on here so I've been careful and had no problem.

I knew from reading on here that the factory set the shocks on too soft a position for most folks so when the dealer's demo was really mushy in the turns I knew I could make a big difference just by adjusting the pre-load.

Thankfully, I've had none of the more serious problems that others have but I'm still glad they were posted. Should any of them occur, I'll know more about how to deal with them. I've been riding two wheelers for many years and I expect a problem now and then although bikes of all brands are much more reliable and trouble-free than they were in the past.

Cotton

aka1004
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
i do agree that negatives along with positive should be known. 99% of negatives, i don't even wanna call them negatives, are just problems ryders are having with their spyders and looking for solutions and should not get bashed for trying to find solutions. whey my spyder goes in for thermostat replacement next week, it will be 21st time that my spyder is going in for warranty repairs in a year and a half. i am not happy about it but at least i got a dealer now who listens and is willing find the solutions but a lot of dealers are compounding the problem with sub-par service.
i think it's absurd to say you can not talk about problems we are having because it may discourage potential buyers.

in any case, all the problems i had will NOT prevent me from buying another spyder. i am hoping i will get luckier with next spyder thou:pray:
spyder is still the best ryde out there right now.

osskicker
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
:chat: Remember! Spyders are relatively new. I am sure Honda, Suzuki, etc. had to work out a few bugs. It takes a while to develop a motorcycle from a 4 wheeler. Finding a qualified tech at a qualified dealer seems to be a challenge. If a tech cannot answer your question it is easier for them to give you a line such as "parts are back ordered" like checks in the mail.:yikes:

I had one dealer tell me the techs at another dealer were good on Can Ams but not Spyders. That didn't set well with me but the dealer that told me that is recommended on this site for service.

We purchased our 2010 RSS a cpl weeks ago and LOVE it!!! We are over 1000 miles already.

Do we expect problems? NO

But Roses have thorns...:2thumbs:

biker1
06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Would agree with all the comments so far. This fourm is really good and everyone here lends a hand when questions are asked and much assistance is given when needed.
BRP However !!
I would definately NOT have bought a Spyder if I had known about the problems in advance and that is my own fault for not checking everything in advance, but BRP and the dealer I bought from have both said to " get lost " and deal with my own problems whenever I have contacted either. This again is my own fault for buying a bike and taking it abroad, without a guarantee.
However, as I had always been riding Suzuki and Honda bikes, I presumed the same quality from the Spyder. I know its a reasonably new product and that there are going to be problems, but everyone needs to be looked after to promote the new product and I feel that BRP hide behind excuses sometimes.
I will not reccomend a Spyder to anyone and if someone asks where to get one, I tell them not to even think about it.
Keep up the fantastic work with this website because it helps many and lets hope for better things in the future.
That's my buck and a quarter.

freebob
06-17-2010, 04:29 PM
My ryde to work is 16 miles one way. Most of it is highway and most of it scenic When i'm on my :spyder:I look forward to going to work as much as i can't wait to get home. The Spyder makes all the difference.

musicarcade, I hope you get your :spyder2: back soon also, Hang in there
...Freebob:doorag:

Firefly
06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Would agree with all the comments so far. This fourm is really good and everyone here lends a hand when questions are asked and much assistance is given when needed.
BRP However !!
I would definately NOT have bought a Spyder if I had known about the problems in advance and that is my own fault for not checking everything in advance, but BRP and the dealer I bought from have both said to " get lost " and deal with my own problems whenever I have contacted either. This again is my own fault for buying a bike and taking it abroad, without a guarantee.
However, as I had always been riding Suzuki and Honda bikes, I presumed the same quality from the Spyder. I know its a reasonably new product and that there are going to be problems, but everyone needs to be looked after to promote the new product and I feel that BRP hide behind excuses sometimes.
I will not reccomend a Spyder to anyone and if someone asks where to get one, I tell them not to even think about it.
Keep up the fantastic work with this website because it helps many and lets hope for better things in the future.
That's my buck and a quarter.

Fully understand your frustration - but your situation is very unique and your main problem was buying it second-hand from someone unscrupulous.

Had you bought new from a qualified dealer near you - you would have access to warranty work.

Hope you've been able to ryde some more since your DPS problems?? Did you manage to get them fixed?

biker1
06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Fully agree. Unique situation, purchased on a whim and I know I bought at an unusual time,,, New Year Eve,, so pressure was on.

Bought a new DPS unit and got it fitted and all is well and wonderful as it can be on three wheels.
Much thanks for interest.

WackyDan
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Good post. I take all posts with a grain of salt. Either people are pimping a product for whatever personal gain, or they are having a bad experience and need to vent.

I count my blessings that I have an 08 that has been relatively problem free and joy to own. That said, two out of three long trips has produced mechanical issues, which with 7000+ miles on it, is indeed concerning. However, unlike some here the Spyder has never left me stranded. I've only had one snafu getting parts so far.

I came here last Feb/March to gain insight and ask questions before I purchased. I can honestly say... That if I had waited a year and came here now, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a Spyder. It is not the negativity of some of the posts, but the content/info on the common failures, back ordered parts, etc. I even had a guy at the gas pumps the other ask me about the problems with Spyders. Now... When a stranger who doesn't own one asks you about the spyder issues, you know that there is a bad vibe getting out. Is BRP listening? - because it seems obvious the public and potential customer base is.

Hey BRP... I don't not want to be put in the position of defending the Spyder's quirks and quite frankly the performance issues of not only the Dealers, but the project leads at BRP itself. At the end of the day this is truly a BRP issue... Not mine, not yours, and not the dealers. BRP is responsible for the design, quality of parts, availability of parts, and the quality of their dealer channel.

Still... I'm a Spyder advocate just like many of you. We all share in this unique and small community of Spyder riders and that always has shown to me the value of owning a Spyder over anything else. I may get mad at my Spyder now and then, but we have a make-up ryde and all is forgotten.

MoonChaser213
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
You are up and running. I'm so happy:yes:Now you can post some photos of the beautiful Irish countryside.!!! I was worried about your Spyder situation. How far away was a dealership for you? :doorag:

musicarcade
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Good post. I take all posts with a grain of salt. Either people are pimping a product for whatever personal gain, or they are having a bad experience and need to vent.

I count my blessings that I have an 08 that has been relatively problem free and joy to own. That said, two out of three long trips has produced mechanical issues, which with 7000+ miles on it, is indeed concerning. However, unlike some here the Spyder has never left me stranded. I've only had one snafu getting parts so far.

I came here last Feb/March to gain insight and ask questions before I purchased. I can honestly say... That if I had waited a year and came here now, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a Spyder. It is not the negativity of some of the posts, but the content/info on the common failures, back ordered parts, etc. I even had a guy at the gas pumps the other ask me about the problems with Spyders. Now... When a stranger who doesn't own one asks you about the spyder issues, you know that there is a bad vibe getting out. Is BRP listening? - because it seems obvious the public and potential customer base is.

Hey BRP... I don't not want to be put in the position of defending the Spyder's quirks and quite frankly the performance issues of not only the Dealers, but the project leads at BRP itself. At the end of the day this is truly a BRP issue... Not mine, not yours, and not the dealers. BRP is responsible for the design, quality of parts, availability of parts, and the quality of their dealer channel.

Still... I'm a Spyder advocate just like many of you. We all share in this unique and small community of Spyder riders and that always has shown to me the value of owning a Spyder over anything else. I may get mad at my Spyder now and then, but we have a make-up ryde and all is forgotten.
:agree:
Thanks for the chat Dan!:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Good posts everyone. I especially like the ones from Scotty and Dan, and agree with them wholeheartedly. :thumbup:

Tom in NM
06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Good posts everyone. I especially like the ones from Scotty and Dan, and agree with them wholeheartedly. :thumbup:
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Like Scotty & Dan, I went over this site with a fine tooth comb looking for real life experiences before I bought my Spyder. Like them and others, I have had issues, but nothing that keeps me from enjoying my Spyder. But, reading the site really prepared me for the issues I could/did have and for that, I will be forever in debt to all those who post their observations and ideas.

The Spyder appeals to a much wider demographic than any other motorcycle I have ever seen. It offers an whole new world to people who would/could never ride on two wheels. With that diversity of backgrounds and people's experiences - how they perceive and talk about the Spyder will be equally varied. For some, expectations will not be met, other's will be fine, and for others of us - totally exceeded.

So, if you are a considering a Spyder, here are my main recommendations.

Find a good dealer AND service department. ( ask local riders here or in person for recommendations - then talk to them and see how they treat you )
TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE and then TEST RIDE, before you go any further.
Get the Extended Warranty ( and if the shop is good and offers it, a pre-paid service agreement - which is great if you ride a lot and have the money up front )

Really, all the rest is up to you and the kind of person you are and how you face and deal with life.

Tom

burntup
06-18-2010, 05:11 PM
i love my ryde and haven't had issues with brp i have had issues with getting add os shipped in a timely manner from third parties. i was offered by my dealer a 900 dollar additional warranty that has road side assistance. i am gonna get it but my question is how many has called on brp in addition to the dealers, the manufacture is probably the only reason for the hold ups. why would brp not just come get a 27,000 dollar machine when it breaks. if it breaks call brp every day till they ship the part to your dealer.i discovered today that a lot of dealers try to eat the blame and apologize for the other people, when you dig the real culprit out of them call the real culprit in the situation, i did today and before i could call back my dealer the people that i ordered my highway pegs from was on the phone and i just simply put it as if they could regain the trust of my dealer and impress on them that the next time they ordered something and needed it in a hurry, or as in my case had the order for a week, that the dealer could count on them then i would accept my order if not then i didn't want my order just my money back. it sounds to me that a lot of people put the blame on dealers and don't follow the trail to the real source. lets call brp and tell them the positive and negative, or call till you get your part. :shemademe_smilie::gaah:

biker1
06-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Some photos put up during the week, not sure where to find them on the website yet as we have only dialup connection and it takes time to search this large site,,, but I will be sharing more photos with all you spyders over the coming months. Check under biker1 I guess.
Have fun in ths sun.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=883