PDA

View Full Version : What Have I done???

Eraser
06-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Being on this forum for 1 day has me wondering about my purchase of my New 08. Has anybody anything good to say about Spyders??They sound like a "horrorshow".Mine is already out for a bit(?)I'm patient!
Help me out here,is this thing worth keeping?:gaah: Or... have I toilet-bowled 18k?:pray:

Questions
06-15-2010, 07:21 PM
What's up Eraser, big decision for me to spend it too. Tell you what, so glad I did. I can't get off of it, hell I come home from work early sometimes and it's not here, the wife took it. No problems so far, 3000k. I keep up on it, going for the 2nd oil change. Had it in for the recalls but so far ok. Added some things to it to spruce it up. 2009 full moon SE5. Keep in touch. Later.

SpyderWolf
06-15-2010, 07:29 PM
welcome Eraser

I know it can be scary to only be on the forum for one day and to read a bunch of horror stories. What you need to realize is that most people do not post about all of the good experiences, as they are coming out here to get help with an issue they might have. It is definitely not all doom and gloom, and there are many of us who have not had any real problems with our Spyders and are extremely satisfied. It is also getting to the point now where those who have had steering issues are getting them fixed, and they are happy once again as well.

Here is a link to an older thread that might make you feel a whole lot better about your purchase:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15302

Hang in there, and give the Spyder a chance. It is unlike anything else you have ever owned, and soon enough you will be addicted like many of us are. :thumbup:

Eraser
06-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Re-calls, dead battery and erratic starting!!I don't have a 100 k on it yet! A fluke,Yes??:dontknow:

Thanks for the Link.

mxz600
06-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Being on this forum for 1 day has me wondering about my purchase of my New 08. Has anybody anything good to say about Spyders??They sound like a "horrorshow".Mine is already out for a bit(?)I'm patient!
Help me out here,is this thing worth keeping?:gaah: Or... have I toilet-bowled 18k?:pray:
You have toilet-bowled 18k. Just kidding. The Spyder is one of the most fun things I have purchased. Right up there with the snowmobile. I have never had the kind of fun on my Sportster that I have on my Spyder.
The Spyder is a completely new ride. There are issues that some people have had or are having, that was expected. Forums like these are for people to get answers and to sometimes vent. It is not as bad as it may seem.
Don't worry and enjoy your new ride.

SpyderWolf
06-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Re-calls, dead battery and erratic starting!!I don't have a 100 k on it yet! A fluke,Yes??:dontknow:

Did you buy this from a dealer?

If the battery has just been sitting for 2 years, it would make sense that it was dead and the dealer should have expected that and taken care of it when you bought it. The steering recall and other updates were issued well over 6 months ago, and the dealer should have taken care of those as well. The erratic starting could also be caused by the battery if they just happened to charge it instead of replacing it with a new one.

Hopefully these issues will be sorted out quickly for you, then you can begin enjoying the experience that you paid for.

pierrelogic
06-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm having the time of my life! :2thumbs:

Illegal? (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19299)
Jonsin' (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18935&highlight=pierrelogic)
12 step (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20238&highlight=pierrelogic)

Eraser
06-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes,I bought it from a dealer.....One that will be watched closely!!!LOL
If I appear a little over reactive on this,accept my apologies,but it has been awhile since a machine tried to take me into on-coming traffic!!LOL:shocked:
I am optimistic....

Barbwire
06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Enjoy your ride I am on my second one 'cuz I traded my '08 for an RT. I loved my '08 and there are times I really miss it. Don't let the board scare you, there is a lot of good info and some great people.

jimclarkf1
06-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I also have a 80 PE (2766) I have had the recalls done, and have had no problems, its my 1st bike and HANG in there, it will get better, were here to help you, :chat:

SpyderWolf
06-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes,I bought it from a dealer.....One that will be watched closely!!!LOL
If I appear a little over reactive on this,accept my apologies,but it has been awhile since a machine tried to take me into on-coming traffic!!LOL:shocked:
I am optimistic....

That is not over reactive at all. It is actually something the dealer should have taken care of before you ever rode the Spyder out of their shop. If they are not fixing the issues to your satisfaction, there is a thread on here about how to get in contact with Carlo - BRP Tech Support. I would give the dealer a chance to get things sorted out, but if it appears they are not doing what needs to be done, Carlo can get things moving in the right direction for you.

Eraser
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
That is not over reactive at all. It is actually something the dealer should have taken care of before you ever rode the Spyder out of their shop. If they are not fixing the issues to your satisfaction, there is a thread on here about how to get in contact with Carlo - BRP Tech Support. I would give the dealer a chance to get things sorted out, but if it appears they are not doing what needs to be done, Carlo can get things moving in the right direction for you.

I'll follow that tack!Thanks again,I feel better already!:thumbup:

Don Stombaugh
06-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Eraser,

I got my :spyder2: in Aug 09 and I have 19,876 miles on her already. I have not had one problem with my :spyder: . Next month I heading to Key West on her.:2thumbs:

Just do the maintenance on her and she will run!!:firstplace:

Don

SpyderWolf
06-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I'll follow that tack!Thanks again,I feel better already!:thumbup:

More than happy to help.

spyryder
06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey relax!!.....That looks like a Manitoba plate!.....OH NO, another Manitoban with a Spyder!! :yikes::roflblack::D

Fire Joe
06-15-2010, 08:50 PM
welcome Hang in there, it will definitely get better. I had my Spyder 4 days and already had to trailer it to a shop. I bought mine used so I expected some issues. The shop (Cowtown) hooked me up and now my Spyder runs great and I am having a blast!! Just got home from riding with a buddy of mine. He has a Ninja so he took me on some empty and twisty roads. Spyder handled great taking a curve at 60-65 mph :2thumbs:

Smylinacha
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
I have an 08 too. I had a steering glitch but since I got a new dps, no problems. So long as you have a good dealer and keep up w/ your maintenance, you should be good to go. Enjoy!

mrwidget
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM
mine is a 08 and have put almost 8000 miles on it
with no problems the update was done 1500 miles
ago and still runs like new

Firefly
06-15-2010, 09:05 PM
welcome

No need to blow a gasket(pun intended-:D) over some of the bad press out here. Some people get really heated in the moment of having a problem and those posts tend to stand out.

Most people have had few (if any) problems with their Spyder. Most problems would fall into the 'minor' category. Your Spyder should have had all the proper updates done that were called for during the voluntary recall, but it doesn't hurt to have them hook it up to BUDDS and check it.

Have fun and don't worry.:thumbup:

Rockytime
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I just got my RT and have only 65 miles on it after having it out 2 short days. Everything works great. I need a weekend to give it a good run. I read a lot of complaints. Owners have a tendency to post whenever they have a problem. Think about all the owners who never post because of no problems.

Bill Soderlin
06-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Please add my name to the list of Spyder Lovers that have had no problems in the 8,000 plus miles I have put on it. I would not trade it for anything and I have owned more than fifty motorcycles , sixteen with side cars and ten trikes of ever ilk. The 2008 Spyder is my favorite. Good luck in the future for many many Happy miles.:ohyea:

Saluda
06-16-2010, 04:41 AM
You won't be sorry. We've had no problems and have never regretted the purchase.

Eraser
06-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Once again,many Thanks for all the positive energy!!:yes:
I'll keep you posted.

Desert Spyder
06-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Every forum will have its whiners and because this is the largest Spyder forum, it will have more whiners. I've got over 12,000 fumi's (fun miles) with no problems on an '08 SE5. Last weekend I had a fantastic weekend with West Coast Spyder and the Canyon Cruise. In 2 weeks I'm going to Morro Bay. The real secret of the Spyder: you don't share the fun with just yourself, you share it with others.:yes:

Questions
06-16-2010, 06:24 AM
7,000 miles later and still a lots of fun. Had the updates done. My:spyder2: runs great. Went from a Suzuki to a Spyder and for me the Spyder is it! I can keep up with everybody, HD, Hondas, etc. The :spyder2:handles very well in the winding roads of New England.:ohyea:

pitbull
06-16-2010, 11:38 AM
No worries, I do hear some horror storys from time to time on here, but as a dealer I have to put about half the blame back on us.....there not harelys or honda's so so many dealers are not as familer with them and really don't know how to do right by both spyder and owner....the dealer network is getting better and we all are inproving but have a little to go before were there. So sorry to all if you have been to a shop and they have let you and your spyder down......this should not be my friends. But we do see very little to no problems out of them, to be honest most of the problems i've seen on spyders through our shop our due to poor setup up our just silly stuff from some one who didn't know what they were fully doing or a dealer didn't set things up right....classic case out of crate, into show room, into someones hands! again so sory guys?

bcspyder
06-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Pitbull

Thanks for your honesty and I agree with you 100 percent. Any new design requires a learning curve and BRP and the dealers have fallen a little behind here. Some of the posts reflect a lack of knowledge on the techs part. If all the posts are to be believed then there are some techs out there who should be doing something else. I have had some significant issues with my bike but I have a great dealer and a tech who is well informed. It makes a HUGE difference. Sounds like you are making an effort and I hope that members in your area are supporting your dealership. Well done.

No worries, I do hear some horror storys from time to time on here, but as a dealer I have to put about half the blame back on us.....there not harelys or honda's so so many dealers are not as familer with them and really don't know how to do right by both spyder and owner....the dealer network is getting better and we all are inproving but have a little to go before were there. So sorry to all if you have been to a shop and they have let you and your spyder down......this should not be my friends. But we do see very little to no problems out of them, to be honest most of the problems i've seen on spyders through our shop our due to poor setup up our just silly stuff from some one who didn't know what they were fully doing or a dealer didn't set things up right....classic case out of crate, into show room, into someones hands! again so sory guys?

JOESPY
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM
It is my second summer with my spyder, up to this date havent had any promblems at all, for me my spyder is a blast every time i ride it, but i did all the updates.:2thumbs:

pitbull
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Pitbull

Thanks for your honesty and I agree with you 100 percent. Any new design requires a learning curve and BRP and the dealers have fallen a little behind here. Some of the posts reflect a lack of knowledge on the techs part. If all the posts are to be believed then there are some techs out there who should be doing something else. I have had some significant issues with my bike but I have a great dealer and a tech who is well informed. It makes a HUGE difference. Sounds like you are making an effort and I hope that members in your area are supporting your dealership. Well done.
Thanks bcspyder, Spyderlovers and the members both feel like friends and framily to us, Infact we are now doing a 500 off gift card to any spyderlover member and picking them up at the airport, and taking care of there room and board, to any spyderlover member buy a spyder from us, aswell as giving a 100 gift card for gas on the way home. I actually am picking up a spyderlover member tonight who is fying in to get his new rts se5, Spydergene is going to be doing a story on it so kinda fun! But really we as dealers need to take better care of you guys, both as customers, but more as friends......with out you guys, theres no us. Thanks to all the Spyderlovers members this is a great community of really good people starting with Lamont......your all first class guys:2thumbs:

Justin
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks bcspyder, Spyderlovers and the members both feel like friends and framily to us, Infact we are now doing a 500 off gift card to any spyderlover member and picking them up at the airport, and taking care of there room and board, to any spyderlover member buy a spyder from us, aswell as giving a 100 gift card for gas on the way home. I actually am picking up a spyderlover member tonight who is fying in to get his new rts se5, Spydergene is going to be doing a story on it so kinda fun! But really we as dealers need to take better care of you guys, both as customers, but more as friends......with out you guys, theres no us. Thanks to all the Spyderlovers members this is a great community of really good people starting with Lamont......your all first class guys:2thumbs:

For anyone within a 200 mile radius of this Dealer, should jump at the chance to buy from them without question. Total class act.

ElkSpyder
06-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I've had my :spyder2: just 2 years and 3 days. I've had the recalls done, and schedule service. I parked the :spyder2: this morning with 26,500+ miles on her. And that is with 2 years of no riding December - February. I I have a great dealer and I believe that is the biggest difference between my satisfaction as a :spyder2: owner and some of us who are really frustrated with BRP. IMHO.

MoonChaser213
06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I WISH THERE WAS A DEALER LIKE YOU IN MY PART OF THE WORLD:bowdown:

A-Spot
06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I WISH THERE WAS A DEALER LIKE YOU IN MY PART OF THE WORLD:bowdown:

You're not the only one.. :thumbup: (there are no dealers at all here, and a mere 150 miles to the nearest dealer, who might/might not be good at all)

pitbull
06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks so much guys, I wish there was a way we could do more for spydlovers members, you guys are all so great. We really do enjoy talking with and haven you all stop by from time to time its always cool to beable to meet so many of you:2thumbs:

SSG Bean
06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Read the posts about others' problems for situational awerness, but don't let it ruin your fun. I have an 08 and have had nothing but good times. No steering, no nothing: everything has ran great. Don't cry about problems you're not even having. Just have a good time.

Florida Rev
06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I must admit that as a new owner some of these posts have scared me a bit. But after a month of riding and the first service, I couldn't be happier. There are still a few things that have me a bit perplexed but I figure I've got time to figure these things out. I kind of wish there was a place where they sold and installed modes so I could see some of the various handlebar risers and windscreens (the only mods I am currently considering) but I can be patient and just enjoy riding!

My only complaint so far is that it has been god-awful hot around here and riding has not been very comfortable.

SpyderWolf
06-17-2010, 05:14 AM
I kind of wish there was a place where they sold and installed modes so I could see some of the various handlebar risers and windscreens (the only mods I am currently considering) but I can be patient and just enjoy riding!

My only complaint so far is that it has been god-awful hot around here and riding has not been very comfortable.

I know exactly what you are saying about the mods and wishing to see them before spending money on them. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers I know of that are going to stock a bunch of aftermarket parts for the Spyder. Heck, many of them won't even install anything for you that is not a BRP part. The best thing I can tell you to do is go to events where there are other Spyders. Then you can see what they have done to their machines and decide if you would like to do the same thing or not.

I know all too well about the unbearable heat lately as well. I am still waiting for BRP to release the weather control module. :roflblack:

bjt
06-17-2010, 07:31 AM
I know exactly what you are saying about the mods and wishing to see them before spending money on them. Unfortunately there aren't any dealers I know of that are going to stock a bunch of aftermarket parts for the Spyder. Heck, many of them won't even install anything for you that is not a BRP part. The best thing I can tell you to do is go to events where there are other Spyders. Then you can see what they have done to their machines and decide if you would like to do the same thing or not.

I know all too well about the unbearable heat lately as well. I am still waiting for BRP to release the weather control module. :roflblack:

+1

BMW
06-17-2010, 09:02 AM

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::agree::agree::ye s::yes::yes: