PDA

View Full Version : Decisions decisions

dltang
06-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Sometimes it is no fun being an adult and trying to decide on smart decisions. I want the new iphone so bad I can taste it. The problem is, I have to get the 32MB if I get one as I already have more than 16Mb on my current iphone. Brian can upgrade for $299 and keep our current contract with unlimited data plan, I am not eligible to upgrade for that price until Feb. so my cost would be $399 for a partial discounted upgrade. That is $700 in phones and there really isn't anything wrong with what we have. It was nice to hear though that we can be grandfathered into our contract with the unlimited data plans. The new contracts have two different data choices but neither is unlimited. That kind of sucks for new customers. So, I guess, I will stew on this over night and decide in the morning. I want to pre order tomorrow if we decide to get the phones, then we will have them for Chicago, Yeah. We'll see though.

Rando
06-14-2010, 08:03 PM
DROID!

dltang
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
DROID!

Droid is nice, my mom has one but we already have iPhones and are in contract with AT&T. Besides, we are Apple diehards, I think we have had every generation ipod and been using Apple computers and laptops for over 20 years. That new iPhone is just way sweet though.

Firefly
06-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Sometimes it is no fun being an adult and trying to decide on smart decisions. I want the new iphone so bad I can taste it. The problem is, I have to get the 32MB if I get one as I already have more than 16Mb on my current iphone. Brian can upgrade for $299 and keep our current contract with unlimited data plan, I am not eligible to upgrade for that price until Feb. so my cost would be $399 for a partial discounted upgrade. That is $700 in phones and there really isn't anything wrong with what we have. It was nice to hear though that we can be grandfathered into our contract with the unlimited data plans. The new contracts have two different data choices but neither is unlimited. That kind of sucks for new customers. So, I guess, I will stew on this over night and decide in the morning. I want to pre order tomorrow if we decide to get the phones, then we will have them for Chicago, Yeah. We'll see though.

WOW--- what the heck are you saving on that phone----:roflblack: I've got a 3GS with 16GB and only have like 8GB used at any given time. I keep around 2,000 songs on it.

I was really hoping Apple would team up with Verizon for the next phone. I've got a bit over a year left with AT&T and then I'm dumping them. The signal is just pathetic in my area. I had to by an external antennae/amp unit to get it to work inside of my home (i-phone is my home phone too).

Other than that I love the phone/features/apps/etc.

If they don't have i-phone for Verizon by the time my contract is up--- I may just buy the cheapest Verizon smart-phone and then hack my iphone to make it work (people are already doing this). Then again by next year I'll want the latest and greatest I'm sure.

Good luck on whatever choice you make. I haven't read much about the new iphone. What does it do that's new and cool??

dltang
06-14-2010, 08:55 PM
WOW--- what the heck are you saving on that phone----:roflblack: I've got a 3GS with 16GB and only have like 8GB used at any given time. I keep around 2,000 songs on it.

I was really hoping Apple would team up with Verizon for the next phone. I've got a bit over a year left with AT&T and then I'm dumping them. The signal is just pathetic in my area. I had to by an external antennae/amp unit to get it to work inside of my home (i-phone is my home phone too).

Other than that I love the phone/features/apps/etc.

If they don't have i-phone for Verizon by the time my contract is up--- I may just buy the cheapest Verizon smart-phone and then hack my iphone to make it work (people are already doing this). Then again by next year I'll want the latest and greatest I'm sure.

Good luck on whatever choice you make. I haven't read much about the new iphone. What does it do that's new and cool??
Dan, the new iphone may just work in your house. It has 3 built in antennae's, it has a 5 megapix camera with flash and video with lighting capability and a front camera for Skype calls and video calls that will be available on iphone. It has GPS labeling for picture and video. It has an imovie app to fully edit and make a movie on your phone. It can be used as MiFi for your laptop without jailbreaking it. Just so many and too many to list.
As far as what I have on my phone, I have about 1500 songs, 200 and some photos a few movies, my kindle reader and some books, my GPS and a lot of apps, all of which I use. I guess it just adds up.

Firefly
06-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Dang it all! I knew I shouldn't have asked.....:roflblack:

Now I gotta go read up on them and see if the reception is much better.....:gaah:

Smylinacha
06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey Deb,

Lou and I went through the same thing last year. We HAD Sprint. I was eligible for an upgrade and he wasn't and we both wanted the same phone but yet he had to pay double. Well, we ended up opting out of the contract - after many days of hard work trying to do that and we didn't have to pay a fee. But I think if we stayed stuck in it, Lou would have gotten the phone anyway. He would have been mad if he couldn't get it and I would have felt bad.

We went to Verizon (I love Iphones but we don't get AT&T service well at all here) and we both have the DROID which we love - just like your IPhones that you like so much. So.... if it were me, you only live once, get it get it get it and ENJOY. :)

I'm going through something similar in which I want something so bad I can taste it. It's gonna cost me but I was torn giving up the Spyder and going two wheels. My searching for two wheels hasn't been great, even if I've only been doing it for a week. Deep down, I wanna keep the Spyder and then went to look at "cheap" two wheels. Well cheap means, Not new, no warranty, lots of miles. So putting 2 wheels on the back burner till I hit a lottery someday. NOW I want to dress up my Spyder. I just want a change so might as well work on the Spyder to do that. I'm in it for the long haul. I want to get some expensive accessories for it. I know I'll never sell it for what I paid for it but I want to ENJOY myself. Geez, I'm 45 years old - it's about time, right?

So, if it were me.... live a little and GET your phone and ENJOY!

:2thumbs:

dltang
06-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey Deb,

Lou and I went through the same thing last year. We HAD Sprint. I was eligible for an upgrade and he wasn't and we both wanted the same phone but yet he had to pay double. Well, we ended up opting out of the contract - after many days of hard work trying to do that and we didn't have to pay a fee. But I think if we stayed stuck in it, Lou would have gotten the phone anyway. He would have been mad if he couldn't get it and I would have felt bad.

We went to Verizon (I love Iphones but we don't get AT&T service well at all here) and we both have the DROID which we love - just like your IPhones that you like so much. So.... if it were me, you only live once, get it get it get it and ENJOY. :)

I'm going through something similar in which I want something so bad I can taste it. It's gonna cost me but I was torn giving up the Spyder and going two wheels. My searching for two wheels hasn't been great, even if I've only been doing it for a week. Deep down, I wanna keep the Spyder and then went to look at "cheap" two wheels. Well cheap means, Not new, no warranty, lots of miles. So putting 2 wheels on the back burner till I hit a lottery someday. NOW I want to dress up my Spyder. I just want a change so might as well work on the Spyder to do that. I'm in it for the long haul. I want to get some expensive accessories for it. I know I'll never sell it for what I paid for it but I want to ENJOY myself. Geez, I'm 45 years old - it's about time, right?

So, if it were me.... live a little and GET your phone and ENJOY!

:2thumbs:

I think I found a way to do this. A couple of things to consider, if we use the iphone tethering to our home computers, we can cancel Comcast and at $60 a month, the phones pay for themselves in a year. Also, used iPhone 3Gs 32 GB are selling on ebay for over $200 each, I think we can do this and come out even or ahead.

Kim, you are right, I am 47 and we only live on this earth once, so I think we should enjoy the small stuff and the big stuff as best we can. Yes I know we have to be responsible but sometimes it is nice to go for what you want.

Blue Star
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I think I found a way to do this. A couple of things to consider, if we use the iphone tethering to our home computers, we can cancel Comcast and at $60 a month, the phones pay for themselves in a year. Also, used iPhone 3Gs 32 GB are selling on ebay for over $200 each, I think we can do this and come out even or ahead.

We did that too, got rid of the land line and got better phones. Also got rid of the expensive Cable TV and rent DVD's when we want to watch a movie. Came out ahead so I can save the money for my Spyder. :2thumbs:

dltang
06-14-2010, 11:49 PM
We did that too, got rid of the land line and got better phones. Also got rid of the expensive Cable TV and rent DVD's when we want to watch a movie. Came out ahead so I can save the money for my Spyder. :2thumbs:

Yup, we got rid of our land line too and we each have our cell phone. We haven't had cable or satellite tv for a year probably. We do have Netflix but if we get rid or our Comcast for Internet, we will have to get rid of Netflix too. Of course that would save even more. I don't think we are going to get rid of that right away, we want to see if they come out with any kind of tethering plan for those of us that will be grandfathered into the unlimited Data plan. Right now they only want to offer tethering to the people that buy the DataPro which is 2GB a month of data usage. I went over our bills for the past year and the most we ever used combined on the phones was just under 1GB but we do exceed the cheaper plan's 200MB.

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Maybe this will help.
.. JUST ORDERED MY 32GIG IPHONE :yes::2excited::popcorn::p

dave01
06-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Maybe this will help.

Thats just wrong..................funny........but wrong:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

dltang
06-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Maybe this will help.

We are on our way to the store to order ours as well. We aren't ordering on line because we want to be able to pick it up before we leave for Chicago. She did say though that they may not arrive until Friday as this is an AT&T store not an Apple store. I do hope they come in on time though.

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Glad I could help. lol

Firefly
06-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Kim, you are right, I am 47 and we only live on this earth once, so I think we should enjoy the small stuff and the big stuff as best we can. Yes I know we have to be responsible but sometimes it is nice to go for what you want.

While the tethering might work pretty well, you won't get anywhere near the speed of your comcast internet. I ditched my comcast for Spint card for all my internet and while it works pretty well, it's nowhere near as fast as comcast was.

I would test the phone in your house and see just how good a signal you get. Current i-phones can be real picky about working well inside. It's really strange- can go from 1/2 bar to 4 bars while not moving the phone at all. AT&T has been doing some strange things with signal sharing on various towers they lease.

So are you saying if you upgrade to the new i-phone you can no longer keep your unlimited data you have now?

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Dan, the new iphone may just work in your house. It has 3 built in antennae's, it has a 5 megapix camera with flash and video with lighting capability and a front camera for Skype calls and video calls that will be available on iphone. It has GPS labeling for picture and video. It has an imovie app to fully edit and make a movie on your phone. It can be used as MiFi for your laptop without jailbreaking it. Just so many and too many to list.
As far as what I have on my phone, I have about 1500 songs, 200 and some photos a few movies, my kindle reader and some books, my GPS and a lot of apps, all of which I use. I guess it just adds up.Just to be clear to others that may not have looked into this as much as we have.

Right now you can not do Skype video calls with the new iphone. What you can do is video calls iphone4 to iphone4 but only on wifi. I'm sure that will change as new apps are developed for the new phone.

The new imovie (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/imovie.html) is not included with the new iphone4, you have to buy it. It's only 5 bucks but you do have to buy it.

The new iphone will let you tether but it's going to run you an extra $15 per month for a 2gig plan. I'll be jailbreaking my phone asap.

The main reason I want this is for the HD video (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/hd-video-recording.html) and the 5meg camera (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/camera.html). The pics are better than I'll ever need for the web and being able to upload them to the boards with Tapatalk is a big plus.

40% better battery life is great and true multitasking (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html) is something I'll be using all the time.

Like you said there is nothing wrong with the 3gs now but this is going to take a all in one device to a new level. :doorag:

xpeschon
06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I get confussed on all the technoligy that is out there... From what I understand you can do a lot with all these High Speed phones and all, Maybe time for a upgrade myself,, it will be a while though..

Joe
(X)

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I get confussed on all the technoligy that is out there... From what I understand you can do a lot with all these High Speed phones and all, Maybe time for a upgrade myself,, it will be a while though..

Joe
(X)
I never thought I would ever need or want a smart phone. It's one of those things that after you have one for a while you wonder how you ever got by without it. nojoke

dltang
06-15-2010, 10:16 AM
While the tethering might work pretty well, you won't get anywhere near the speed of your comcast internet. I ditched my comcast for Spint card for all my internet and while it works pretty well, it's nowhere near as fast as comcast was.

I would test the phone in your house and see just how good a signal you get. Current i-phones can be real picky about working well inside. It's really strange- can go from 1/2 bar to 4 bars while not moving the phone at all. AT&T has been doing some strange things with signal sharing on various towers they lease.

So are you saying if you upgrade to the new i-phone you can no longer keep your unlimited data you have now?

Dan, I know that tethering is slower than Comcast. I am just thinking about savings. We aren't planning on tethering right away though. We grandfathered in our unlimited data plan and AT&T is not going to offer tethering with the unlimited Plan only with their DataPro plan which is 2GB. I went back and checked our usage for the past year. In any one month between the two phones, the highest about of data we used was just under 1 GB. We were able to do an upgrade through AT&T so we did save $600 between the two phones instead of paying $600 a piece per phone. Lamont did hit on all the great highlights and we are looking forward to getting these phones. Also, we have been lucky, we have had really good service with our phones even inside our homes and work places.

Smylinacha
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
It sure is! But now I gotta hold of on the black wheels. I did buy myself a license plate relocator so I can pull my fenders off. But gotta save up for some new tires for the Charger and I want NICE ONES. So it was black rims or new tires and I guess I'll need those before it snows or I'll be sliding everywhere.

Wish we could cancel Comcast. We watch like 3 channels - that's it! It's also for our internet too.

Smylinacha
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Just dumped our land line - SO NICE - no more sales calls, and if I don't want to hear a phone I just shut my cell phone volume off! I don't know why you need a land line anymore.

Firefly
06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Read up on the phone a bit last night--- WOW-- sounds like something I'm gonna NEED...:D

Does anyone know if they have changed the way you take photos? I have a hard time clicking the area on the screen--- sure would be nice if they made it so you could push one of the volume buttons on the top--- just like a camera button instead.

The multi-tasking is much needed too!:thumbup:

What I read was $20 a month for the 2 GB data plan--- and another $20 a month if you wanna tether.

I'm with Lamont----- jailbreak the sucker the minute you get it!:thumbup:

The droid looks neat too, but they're gonna be playing catchup for a long time - especially on the apps. There are so many great apps for the iphone-- just amazing stuff.:thumbup:

dltang
06-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Read up on the phone a bit last night--- WOW-- sounds like something I'm gonna NEED...:D

Does anyone know if they have changed the way you take photos? I have a hard time clicking the area on the screen--- sure would be nice if they made it so you could push one of the volume buttons on the top--- just like a camera button instead.

The multi-tasking is much needed too!:thumbup:

What I read was $20 a month for the 2 GB data plan--- and another $20 a month if you wanna tether.

I'm with Lamont----- jailbreak the sucker the minute you get it!:thumbup:

The droid looks neat too, but they're gonna be playing catchup for a long time - especially on the apps. There are so many great apps for the iphone-- just amazing stuff.:thumbup:
Testing Jailbreak on my current phone, I haven't done it up to this point. I just did and now I am on a free trial of MyWi which makes your phone into an internet hotspot. It loads almost as fast as my Comcast, I have to tell you. I think I have found my solution. After the trial, the app is a whopping $9.99, unless I find something better, I may have to buy this. Lamont, what are you using?

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Testing Jailbreak on my current phone, I haven't done it up to this point. I just did and now I am on a free trial of MyWi which makes your phone into an internet hotspot. It loads almost as fast as my Comcast, I have to tell you. I think I have found my solution. After the trial, the app is a whopping $9.99, unless I find something better, I may have to buy this. Lamont, what are you using?
Using MyWi and it work's great for me, even on EDGE. I don't need it that often but sometimes on a trip I'll bring the laptop or ipad in the restaurant and get some work done while I'm eating. There's been many times that MyWi was faster than the hotel.

dltang
06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Using MyWi and it work's great for me, even on EDGE. I don't need it that often but sometimes on a trip I'll bring the laptop or ipad in the restaurant and get some work done while I'm eating. There's been many times that MyWi was faster than the hotel.

Yup, I'm liking it. It runs pretty quick. I guess I won't be able to just replace our Comcast with it though. I looked up our home Comcast usage and even with our unlimited Data Plan, I think AT&T would frown.

Longlegs
06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Is the Mywi an Iphone app? I have a Myfi (verizon)card that I take to my office to do e-file payroll taxes. I would like to ditch that and my home internet. I was going to ditch the home inet anyway because the mifi card works pretty good. But if I can do it all with the iphone?? Where did you find the tethering plans for ATT. I can't log into my account even, must be crashed due to i-phone sales.

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Is the Mywi an Iphone app? I have a Myfi (verizon)card that I take to my office to do e-file payroll taxes. I would like to ditch that and my home internet. I was going to ditch the home inet anyway because the mifi card works pretty good. But if I can do it all with the iphone?? Where did you find the tethering plans for ATT. I can't log into my account even, must be crashed due to i-phone sales.
http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/en_US/pdf/business-center-update-comparison-chart-with-changes-06092010_updated.pdf

dltang
06-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Mywi is an app through Rock for Jailbroken phones. Will have to wait and see what comes about when the new phone arrives. This app is instead of tethering, but it will still run up your data usage, so you have to watch it.

Firefly
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Might be a few weeks before you can jailbreak the new phone- they tend to try and lock them down with each new version-- but someone will hack it.

So do you get to continue your current plan with unlimited data until the contract is up?

dltang
06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Might be a few weeks before you can jailbreak the new phone- they tend to try and lock them down with each new version-- but someone will hack it.

So do you get to continue your current plan with unlimited data until the contract is up?

Yes Dan, we are grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.

Firefly
06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes Dan, we are grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So you'll be good for awhile.

To get the deal on the new phone do they take your old one back?

bjt
06-16-2010, 06:27 AM
No, it's an early upgrade deal they give customers once per year or something like that. They aren't exchanging one phone for another. Primary account holders get $400 credit towards a new phone. Secondary people on the account get $200 credit towards a new phone.

grumpybob
06-16-2010, 10:55 AM
WOW - all this phone talk made me want to upgrade. Went to Wal-Mart and got a new Motorola tracfone. It does take pictures. Now what do I take a picture of?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Lamonster
06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Hope you were able to place your order. They sold 600,000 of them yesterday and ran out of pre orders. nojoke
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/600-000-iphone-4s-pre-ordered-apple-apologizes-for-issues/

dltang
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Hope you were able to place your order. They sold 600,000 of them yesterday and ran out of pre orders. nojoke
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/600-000-iphone-4s-pre-ordered-apple-apologizes-for-issues/

Yup, we got our orders in in the morning and before all the big snafu, got our confirmation on order and status, should get them delivered to our home on the 24th if all goes well.

jwhatman
06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Stop it. All this talk about the new iphone. I am trying to talk myself out of the new one. I cannot upgrade until June 2011. So I have t pay full price. So I have hubby's old 3g and he has the 3gs. I was thinking of buying a 3gs so I can get the multitasking and other upgrades that won't work on the 3g. I was trying to convince myself I can hold out. You all are a BAD influence. Even Hubby keeps mentioning it. No fair.
Joyce

dltang
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Stop it. All this talk about the new iphone. I am trying to talk myself out of the new one. I cannot upgrade until June 2011. So I have t pay full price. So I have hubby's old 3g and he has the 3gs. I was thinking of buying a 3gs so I can get the multitasking and other upgrades that won't work on the 3g. I was trying to convince myself I can hold out. You all are a BAD influence. Even Hubby keeps mentioning it. No fair.
Joyce

Joyce, I'll sell you my 3Gs when my new one comes in and then you can upgrade to the new OS. it's a 32GB in great condition. Just food for thought..:D

Lamonster
06-22-2010, 07:19 AM
They say my phone shipped on the 16th :dontknow: I won't see it till Monday so it won't matter anyway.:gaah:

Firefly
06-22-2010, 09:28 AM
AT&T really messed up the whole roll-out of these--- they are now saying most that pre-ordered won't get them until mid-July :yikes:.

Steve Jobs cannot be happy about this.....

I'll wait a bit longer before getting one--- see how you guys like em' first...

bjt
06-22-2010, 01:50 PM
They say my phone shipped on the 16th :dontknow: I won't see it till Monday so it won't matter anyway.:gaah:

Mine's in the FedEx truck now. :2thumbs:

Longlegs
06-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Did you guys get your phones? I was told they didn't ship any 32's

jwhatman
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Ooo so tempting. I did the upgrade on monday. Hubby sat there comparing his phone with mine. I will probably wait a bit before getting the new one. The money is a big issue since I won't be able to upgrade until July 2011. Oh well. Ill just have to settle with what I have for now. Thanks for the thought though.

bjt
06-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Did you guys get your phones? I was told they didn't ship any 32's

Yeah, we got them, 32 gigs and all. :2thumbs: Spent a portion of the day yesterday driving around to find cases that we liked and screen protectors. Those items were selling out too, almost as fast as the iPhone 4's.