PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

Blue Star
06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone, not to start a heated discussion. I am in the process of buying a Spyder (I hope within the next three to four months) :2excited: and would like the opinion from you experienced Ryders on this. When I rode a two-wheeler I used a full face helmet for the protection it provided, :shemademe_smilie: and glad I did when I went down. With the purchase of my helmet I am first thinking of another full face helmet, as it is what I know, but dread the heat factor during the summer months. Because of the safety features of the Spyder, is a full face really needed? I guess it is possible to lay down (or I guess flip) a Spyder, but would an open helmet be okay. I know about the protection against bugs and rocks, but I was thinking a pair of goggles would do the trick and be cooler in the summer. Thank you for your input.
Robert.

NancysToy
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Only you can answer this question. I will not ride without full-face, after my accident a few years back...not even on the Spyder. I know I am less likely to hit the ground, but I am happy to be alive, so I stick with what kept me here.

Big Arm
06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
:agree: Just hit a deer a week ago..........your head is still able to THINK after the accident :2thumbs:

Firefly
06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Like Scotty said-- only you can make that choice. The more gear the safer- no doubt... and cagers are still a huge concern.

That being said, I've got full face, 1/2 face, novelty brain bucket, etc.--- and I wear different ones for different situations--- and sometimes none at all.

For performance ryding--- I gear up. For cruising - especially when hot--- I gear down. Goggles and no helmet was quite nice on my recent vacation in WI and MN, but at night I wore the full face because of the bugs. Did get hit by one bug on my forehead just above the goggles that hurt a bit.

I have less neck stress and can see much better without the full face-- but I really wouldn't want to take a hit without a full face on.

Weigh your situation and maybe decide on having a few different helmets - as most of us end up with.:thumbup:

Justin
06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
I wear full face and the heat isn't bad at all. My helmet is flat black also which seems to heat up more than my other colour helmets.

Jornie1
06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I've gotta go with Scotty's beginning statement. It's a personal preference thing. My wife and I rode many thousands of miles on two wheels in days gone by. Fortunately without ever laying one of them down. Thank you Lord!!! However, neither of us would consider riding out to the mail box & back without a helmet. With that said, the likelihood of going down on your chin is considerably less on a Spyder. Consequently, have opted for the open face helmet and the comfort factor. We purchased the Arai Classic with color to match our silver RT's. They come installed with J&M headphones/boom mic with the lower cord made to be compatible with the Spyder RT's autdio connections. It's a comfort thing for us. We purchased them from Overby's Two Wheel Sound in Murray KY. www.twowheelsound.com They are a J&M dealer. With built in headphones and mic they are pricey but hey.. I figure our collective heads are worth it.. For what it's worth.. Len

Hi everyone, not to start a heated discussion. I am in the process of buying a Spyder (I hope within the next three to four months) :2excited: and would like the opinion from you experienced Ryders on this. When I rode a two-wheeler I used a full face helmet for the protection it provided, :shemademe_smilie: and glad I did when I went down. With the purchase of my helmet I am first thinking of another full face helmet, as it is what I know, but dread the heat factor during the summer months. Because of the safety features of the Spyder, is a full face really needed? I guess it is possible to lay down (or I guess flip) a Spyder, but would an open helmet be okay. I know about the protection against bugs and rocks, but I was thinking a pair of goggles would do the trick and be cooler in the summer. Thank you for your input.
Robert.

effgjamis
06-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I have full, 3/4 and half HJC helmets and like them all as they have the inner sun shield.
check helmetcity.com.

IWN2RYD
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Man what great advice you are getting!! nojoke

We only went with full face because this was our first time ever on assphalt. Well, Modular actually.

Anyway... In the dirt it is a no brainier for us as we only go full...

Our concern with the 3/4 or halves was face planting on the handle bar or dash (All of it besides the windshield) as it is a bit higher and larger than most motorcycles on the road. We hope to not ever be in a situation on our RT to ever need the helmet of course. But since it is a cruiser, we think the accident will either be 35 mph or turning sharp to avoid an accident and becoming airborne.

Lastly... One thing I have learned over the years when purchasing a helmet... The only helmet worth buying is the one that fits so good you forget to take it off when your done riding.

It is all about the fit. Everything else comes in last place. Just like shoes.... Just because it was labeled a size, does not mean it is that size... :2thumbs::doorag:

patdcop
06-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Shark Evoline, best of both worlds.

ArmyJoe
06-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Shark Evoline, best of both worlds.

Or the Can-Am Hybrid Helmet with vented jaw (http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/en-US/Product-Detail/447429).

Blue Star
06-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Man what great advice you are getting!! nojoke

You have that right. Thank you EVERYONE for all the great input. I will go with the full face as it is what I had before, and will deal with the heat issue. I know I will feel safer wearing the full face than the open face (not sure what they are called). I am sure my wife will too. I know the full face saved my brain matter and chin (hit and slid on my head) when I went down. I might even need to buy two if I can ever get the wife :bowdown:to ryde with me. I just hope I never need to use it. I will post the photos of me and the Spyder when I get it.
Robert.

SilverSurfer
06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Getting on a motorcycle, including a Spyder means you are accepting risks. The Helmet you choose means acceptance of risk as well. MSF instructors will tell you absolutely no helmet is worthwhile if it doesn't protect your face, therefore ... a full face helmet.

However, as I've matured in riding, I'm with many others in that a full-face helmet in 90+ degree weather, as is typical Summer weather here in Maryland, will cook your brains to scrapple.

So now, I have three. I have a full face HJC with flip up wind screen and chin guard for winter/cold-weather riding. I have a 3/4 HJC for temperate weather riding; and I have two Scorpion EXO 100 series (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/6973/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-100-Solid-Helmet.aspx)for summer, especially because one just doesn't get that much wind on an RT. Highly recommend that EXO 100. It's basically an over-size shorty, with lots of cranial protection, hear flaps for cooler weather and a flip down visor for when it rains or bugs. I have a black one (I like the look better) for when it's not so hot; but I also have a silver one for when it's a scorcher (like today).

Again, it's a personal decision and based on your assessment of risk given your riding environment and experience.

Best of luck,

Paul

Raptor
06-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Definitely Full for me. I have one Shoei RF-1100 and one Icon SSR. I got hit with a rock once in the jaw, and once in the throat; the helmet saved my @ss both times. Then I was in the woods and got caught in some unexpected weather and took a piece of a tree branch right in the shield. :spyder: Again, the full face saved the day!

I know it's getting hot, but for me it's full face all the way. Just my 2 cents. :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
However, as I've matured in riding, I'm with many others in that a full-face helmet in 90+ degree weather, as is typical Summer weather here in Maryland, will cook your brains to scrapple.

Maybe that is what is wrong with me! I always wear a full face helmet, currently a G-Max Wizard, and ryding for the last two days the ambient temperature was about 105. :D

I have ordered a cooling cap and am waiting for it to arrive. I am hoping it will make a difference during days like these.

ARtraveler
06-26-2010, 06:53 PM
All the advice posted is very good here. Helmet choice is definately a personal preference. If you want to be protected the best, a full face is the right way to go. Im not too worried about tipping over or skiding sideways down the road with the wheels paralell to the pavement. I do worry about being ejected from the bike in an accident. These are three places where a full face helmet would be desired. In any crash, the more protection, the better. We then have the issues of riding in hot climates. Here, a full face helmet can be very uncomfortable. My personal preferences for summer riding--and short commutes, is my Nolan N43 which has an open face option--but a pull down face plate. It is also about a pound lighter than the full face. I have not yet used the optional chin plate which makes it into a full face helmet. For long rides--or when it is cooler outside, I use the full face helmet. I dont like the half helmets like some Highway Patrol wear. In 45 years of motorcycling, I will say I have been lucky in that I have never been involved in an accident with my motorcycle. I do drive very defensively, and try to anticipate all the stupid things other people might do. That has saved me many times from an accident. I have had three close calls in my life, but have managed to get out of them okay. I recommend always wearing a helmet, but the choice of helmet is your call.

Pincushion
06-26-2010, 08:27 PM
I have 3 helmets (full face modular Scoripon EXo-900, a Seven Zero Seven full face, and a Bell Drifter 1/2 helmet)
I recently added a Scala G4 bluetooth unit to the Scorpion and I seem to wear that most of the time. It's nice having options....the EXO- 900 is a convertible helmet and it switches from full face to 3/4 face in a few seconds...
There is a retailer here in town that has a VERY liberal return policy on helmets, so I was able to try a few on the road before I found the 1/2 helmet that fit my head and my needs.

Go try on several and since you're in no hurry to buy one...you can find the one you love and then shop around for the best price too..

bone crusher
06-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Getting on a motorcycle, including a Spyder means you are accepting risks. The Helmet you choose means acceptance of risk as well. MSF instructors will tell you absolutely no helmet is worthwhile if it doesn't protect your face, therefore ... a full face helmet.

So now, I have three. I have a full face HJC with flip up wind screen and chin guard for winter/cold-weather riding. I have a 3/4 HJC for temperate weather riding; and I have two Scorpion EXO 100 series (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/6973/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-100-Solid-Helmet.aspx)for summer, especially because one just doesn't get that much wind on an RT. Highly recommend that EXO 100. It's basically an over-size shorty, with lots of cranial protection, hear flaps for cooler weather and a flip down visor for when it rains or bugs. I have a black one (I like the look better) for when it's not so hot; but I also have a silver one for when it's a scorcher (like today).

Again, it's a personal decision and based on your assessment of risk given your riding environment and experience.

Best of luck,

Paul

I live in MD too and ride in these ridiculously hazy, hot, and humid temps (when I have time!)...don't wear anything but a full face shield...doesn't matter what the temp is if you are separated from your bike...I do keep the vents open and wear an under armour skullcap to keep my head cooler...as long as I'm moving, I'm good to go. Safety is first...

Raptor
06-27-2010, 01:58 AM
I live in MD too and ride in these ridiculously hazy, hot, and humid temps (when I have time!)...don't wear anything but a full face shield...doesn't matter what the temp is if you are separated from your bike...I do keep the vents open and wear an under armour skullcap to keep my head cooler...as long as I'm moving, I'm good to go. Safety is first...

:agree: :thumbup:

teacherbob
06-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Check out the Nolan N43 Trilogy helmet.
http://www.powersports4less.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TR-394660

bruceofthebronx
06-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Arai was rated #1, Shoei # 2 by Rider magazine. Bigger bucks but you get what you pay for. Good luck.

chillicpl
06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised that no one has brought up Zox helmets. I bought a Nevado flip up last year when i got back into riding and i'll be adding the new Genessis helmet w/ the internal visor. Zox have done very well in the reviews i've read (webbikeworld.com and the lot). Being the frugal Scot i am, i'm very impressed w/ the price of the Zox and since i have the ability to purchase at staff prices i find it hard to find a better bang for the buck.

cheers all and safe riding
Bruce

Raptor
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm surprised that no one has brought up Zox helmets. I bought a Nevado flip up last year when i got back into riding and i'll be adding the new Genessis helmet w/ the internal visor. Zox have done very well in the reviews i've read (webbikeworld.com and the lot). Being the frugal Scot i am, i'm very impressed w/ the price of the Zox and since i have the ability to purchase at staff prices i find it hard to find a better bang for the buck.

cheers all and safe riding
Bruce

Dude, I just checked these out and I have to say I am intrigued! :thumbup: The Odessy RN2 in particular looks good! might just be worth a look. How is the fogging factor on these helmets?