PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Capacity

ThreeWheels
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I know it's just starting to really get warm, but I'm an engineer, so I'm always thinking about the future.

Is there a list of electrical power consumers and the capacity of the magneto ?

I want to install a powerlet for a heated vest. I just don't know if there is enough excess electrical capacity. I'm OK if I need to make trade-offs, like--don't use the heated grips and fog lights if you have the heated vest hooked up. I just need to know what these trade-offs might be.

I was hoping for a matrix of electrical loads.

Anybody ?

ThreeWheels
06-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Bump.......

Anybody ???

dancogan
06-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd be interested in the answer, too. Maybe there's an engineer around with an ammeter? :dontknow:

Gordy
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
just got back from a trip to colorado and it was cold on the way back.i used the fog lites,heated grips and my heated vest for about 200 to 250 miles with no problems

Longlegs
06-15-2010, 06:26 PM
650 watts capacity

boborgera
06-15-2010, 06:49 PM
If your runing every thing at the same time, keep the RPMs above 3500 / 4000. If your at a long light or in slow traffic turn some off.

Lamonster
06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
If your runing every thing at the same time, keep the RPMs above 3500 / 4000. If your at a long light or in slow traffic turn some off.
That's good advice. :agree:
I would take into account if you're driving on the highway or in the twisties too. The DPS has a pretty heavy draw to it and the more you turn the more it's going to draw on that battery. If you're running all those things and running the twisties chances are the output of the magneto won't be able to keep up with the demand.

ThreeWheels
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
That's good advice. :agree:
I would take into account if you're driving on the highway or in the twisties too. The DPS has a pretty heavy draw to it and the more you turn the more it's going to draw on that battery. If you're running all those things and running the twisties chances are the output of the magneto won't be able to keep up with the demand.

Thanks guys. That's all great advice and I appreciate all your input, but I was hoping someone might have information that was less subjective and more objective with some numbers.

I'm a little sensitive to this issue since my ST1100 was prone to alternator failure. So much so that Honda eventually installed larger alternators in later production models. Below is an example of what I'm hoping to either find, or develop. This is from Mike Martin's site regarding the ST.

I'll see if I can calculate a similar matrix, but it will have to be based on theoretical loads.

NancysToy
06-15-2010, 09:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no such matrix is available for the Spyder. The various loads of the components are also not listed in the technical specs of the shop manual, except for the lighting wattages. You would have to devlop a list of loads through your own testing.

The Spyder RT magneto capacity is 52 amps (maximum)/650 watts @ 6,000 rpm. Magneto output is 10 amps (minimum)/13.0-14.0 volts @ 4,000 rpm, so the output drops off fairly fast if the rpm drops.

From a practical standpoint, I have used a heated vest on the RS with no problems, even with foglights. This has not been on real twisty roads, however, and I keep the rpm above 4,000. My wife turns off the foglights on the RS (which as a lower magneto output), when she uses her heated jacket and heated gloves. This is a precaution, not as a result of trouble. I have used the heated vest along with the heated grips on the RT, but not along with the foglights or rear heated grips. The stereo was muted, too. I have no further experience, because the vest is too warm for me above 25 degrees.

You will have to experiment a bit to see how to best juggle the load. Test battery voltage before and after the ride, with and without various combinations of accessories. If the battery isn't being drained, you are going to be OK. If the voltage drops, you will have to have more rpm or fewer accessories.

WaltH
06-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I use my electric jacket liner very extensively on my 2009 GS (550 watts) with never any problems. I also use the fog lights when needed. If I get stuck in traffic, I will turn something off. I don't worry about it and I have never had any problems.

ThreeWheels
06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks. Now I'm thinking a simple Datel voltmeter is all I need to monitor the battery. That will tell me when it's time to turn something off.
In any event, I've got some time to figure it out. If the global warming trend continues, I don't expect it to start snowing here in CT until August.

Sopher
06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Do what Lamonster did on his old RS; add a second battery.

boborgera
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Spyder1026;218369

:hun:
(550 watts) [/QUOTE]
Are you sure about that [550]??:popcorn:

NancysToy
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Are you sure about that [550]??:popcorn:
The RT is rated at 650 watts max, while the GS/RS is rated at 500.

boborgera
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
The RT is rated at 650 watts max, while the GS/RS is rated at 500.

I probably read it wrong, I thought he said his electric jacket liner was
rated at 550w. My bad :sour:

2manycars
06-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Sorry but I am not sure which would be more useful, but if the gas gauge and temp gauge were removed and you reverted to the digital ones in the display-which I understand happens automatically if the gages are disconnected, couldn't you install one or the other of them.

Has anyone done this?

I used to run a heated jacket, gloves, GPS, and ipod on my Silverwing scooter. Obviously it did not have all of the other gadgetry, and this post got me wondering what I could use in the winter. The other gages could help.

DeeKay53
06-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I installed a voltmeter were the fuel gauge had been. Very simple to do as all the wires are there. Just don't hook up the wire to the fuel sensor.