PDA

View Full Version : Comparison 2009 vs 2010

Questions
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Just looking for a little help. Is there any difference between the 2009 and 2010 SM5 or SE5? I am looking at purchasing and thought I better check it out.
Thanks

A-Spot
06-13-2010, 12:54 AM
As far as I know, Can-Am releases a new model in the even years (eg. 2010), and releases a revised and optimized version of the above "full" releases in the odd years (eg. 2011). A bit of logical (or wishful :D) thinking leads me to believe that the 2009 is mainly an updated 'n' upgraded 2008 model.

Am I right -- or not?

Questions
06-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I guess I am trying to figure out if I should purchase a new one or buy a used 2009 is just as good

musicarcade
06-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I guess I am trying to figure out if I should purchase a new one or buy a used 2009 is just as good

You might look for a new 2009 and get $1500(I think) in gear from a dealer if you want new. If you want to save a ton of $$$ find a used one and get it checked out to see if it has all the updates done...:doorag:

Questions
06-13-2010, 10:47 AM
So the engine, reliability, design, etc are the same for the 2009 and 2010 models?

musicarcade
06-13-2010, 10:57 AM
So the engine, reliability, design, etc are the same for the 2009 and 2010 models?

Look the same- but reliability issues are different it seems. 08's and 09's (less so w/ 09's) have had DPS issues while 2010's have had a clutch recall for the semi-automatics (SE's)

The key it seems is to have a good dealer nearby that is really into Spyders and has a tech staff that is up to speed on them.

But that's just my humble opinion; YMMV!:doorag:

SpyderWolf
06-13-2010, 10:59 AM

welcome

That is correct for the 2010 RS version. I have not read about any major differences between that and the 2009 models. :thumbup:

j45p3r
06-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Between 08 and 09 there were enough bug fixes to make me go for an 09 over and 08. However, between 09 and 10 there doesn't seem to be anything significant that would sway me one way or the other, other than the new color options.

Questions
06-13-2010, 11:08 AM
So I guess find a good dealer and then going with a 2009 or 2010 should be good.

Question 2 - I am a Harley owner and looking to add a spyder for a new toy in the garage. In blogs I read some like the steering and some don't what can I expect? Can the spyder turn good on mountain roads?

Thanks

SpyderWolf
06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
So I guess find a good dealer and then going with a 2009 or 2010 should be good.

Question 2 - I am a Harley owner and looking to add a spyder for a new toy in the garage. In blogs I read some like the steering and some don't what can I expect? Can the spyder turn good on mountain roads?

Thanks

The Spyder handles great on mountain roads, possibly even better than your Harley does. :D

The big thing you will need to get used to is a light touch on the handlebars. If you grip the bars too tightly, it will feel like the Spyder is walking back and forth in your lane. If you use a light grip, you will find that it tracks extremely well and does not require much input in order to make a steering correction.

The other thing is steering the Spyder is like steering a 4 wheeler. You pull on the handlebar side you want to turn towards. There is no counter steering, as the Spyder doesn't lean, so you will actually have to steer it through the corners.

I highly suggest you go on a decent length test ryde to get the feel of it. It doesn't take much to get used to it, especially if you are aware of what to expect in the first place, but you will need to get used to it. :thumbup:

sandrunr1
06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Only difference between the 09 and 10 that I can see is about $4000.00. We got our 09 for $15,000 out the door with $1000. in goodys and 2 extra years of warranty, total of 5 years. If you have cash in the Vegas area, it talks. Offer and see what happens.

Questions
06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
That was great advice on the steering -

Next - What gas mileage can I expect? AND

Is it better to buy a base model and add Mods or just buy it loaded up?

Thanks

SpyderWolf
06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
That was great advice on the steering -

Next - What gas mileage can I expect? AND

Is it better to buy a base model and add Mods or just buy it loaded up?

Thanks

Mileage varies depending on how you ryde it, but you should be able to expect anywhere from 25-35 mpg or so. There are plenty of threads on here about mileage for you to get better details on it. I personally have never checked my mileage, but know I can go around 150 miles or so on a tank.

Normally, the only time you find a loaded up one is if you look at buying used. Since there are so many different modifications available, that suit different ryding styles and comfort levels, most dealers are not going to bother putting anything on them before the sale. You can get a really nice selection of BRP accessories for the $1000 from BRP if you buy an 09. Aftermarket mods will be on your own dime after that.

The good news is you already found this site, and if you have any questions about any type of mod the chances are someone here has already done it and will be more than happy to share a review, or help you out with it. :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
06-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing is do not overlook the SE5 when you are shopping for a Spyder. I did not want the SE5 at first, but it was all the dealer had in yellow at the time of my purchase. Now I am REALLY glad I have the SE5, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Shifting with the paddle actually opens up the entire ryding experience more, and lets you see more on the road than you probably have before. When we were heading to Deals Gap to ryde The Dragon, I was the only Spyder with 12 2 wheelers. We were taking the mountain roads on the way up there, and the scenery was incredible. At one point we stopped, and I asked all of them what they thought about the waterfall, and if they saw where the rock face came right down next to the road. All of them asked where I saw those things, as they had not seen them due to concentrating on keeping their bikes upright and cornering. It is a very good thing the Spyder has antilock brakes, as I was having to use them in the middle of the turns, where you would never want to brake on a 2 wheeler, in order to keep from running them over.

I suppose that is a good story about how well the Spyder handles also. :D

Questions
06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the input I am talking to a dealer and a private owner and will see how it all works out

SpyderWolf
06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the input I am talking to a dealer and a private owner and will see how it all works out

:2thumbs:

Let us know what you end up with.

3whlLefty
06-13-2010, 11:55 AM
If you want lots of goodies then a used purchase will usually get you them a lot cheaper. Will you trust a used vehicle or worry about the unknowns? If there is some warranty left that will help. Also, how much do you care about color. Buying used makes the color choice harder too.

I bought a use 09 SE5 in Sept of 09 and it has a few expensive add-ons so I feel like I saved quite a bit. I'm still under warranty and am looking into buying the BEST warranty for my own peace of mind. There's a lot of new hi-tech stuff on these machines, especially the SE5 which I have and love, by the way. I see that you're in CO so you don't have too many dealer choices without driving long distances.

Have fun shopping.

Questions
06-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes, I see there is a dealer in Denver on Wadsworth and one in the Colorado Springs area but that one is a smaller dealer. Looks like the best bet is in the Denver area

canam9
06-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Donnie at RPM in Denver seems like a good guy. No deals on the RT, never been to the one in Colorado Springs.:ani29:

Questions
06-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks I will call tomorrow and ask for Donnie and see what they offer
:yes:

William S.
06-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey Rick the dealer in Cheyenne (Mavrick Motorsports) Chris iwas great to deal with and I kniow they have several Spyders, BTW what part of Colorado are you in?

Rockytime
06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Donnie at RPM in Denver seems like a good guy. No deals on the RT, never been to the one in Colorado Springs.:ani29:

I purchased a RT-S Friday 6/11/10 from RPM. I have no advice to offer as I have only had the trike three days. I got it home from the dealer just in time to avoid rain and hail. The past two days have been soggy so I can only sit in the garage and admire it. Total miles: 14. However, I was happy with the way things went at RPM. Everyone was great. Of course everyone is great when you are laying out the bucks.

Rockytime

SpyderWolf
06-14-2010, 05:40 AM
I purchased a RT-S Friday 6/11/10 from RPM. I have no advice to offer as I have only had the trike three days. I got it home from the dealer just in time to avoid rain and hail. The past two days have been soggy so I can only sit in the garage and admire it. Total miles: 14. However, I was happy with the way things went at RPM. Everyone was great. Of course everyone is great when you are laying out the bucks.

Rockytime

welcome Rockytime!

Questions
06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
The input on the dealers have been good and I will be calling this week. I am colorado springs and the dealer here is very small and have like one or two and you have to order what you want
I know what you mean about the friendly sales people when you buy I guess the big question is who provides the best service after the sale?

retired1
06-14-2010, 09:08 AM
welcomes
Rick Colorado; Glad the forume could help you with some answers yo your questions!
Rockytime; :congrats: on tour RT-S. What color?

AMTJIM
06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
If you want to risk it there are still 08's(been there, lived that) and there are also some 09's on showroom floors. I just recently picked up a new '09 for for 4k off. This machine reminds me of private aircraft ownership, be ready for down time. Things just go bad in a snap. I made the mistake of making this my only vehicle the first time around. Kept my Jeep this time as primary vehicle. I also keep the tools I need on board to pull sensors so I'm not stuck in the middle of no where hundreds of miles away from home or a Can-Am stuck doing 45mph. Limp Mode sucks. To find a deal, use cycletrader.com or some other source. Travel to a good deal and ride it home.:thumbup:

Questions
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I understand I have heard these spyders can have problems so I want to find a good dealer for sure. I guess it is all a risk. My Harley just keeps in ticking so I am use to realiability but that might not be the case with Can AM
I did talk to the RPM dealer today and they were helpful