PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle

stillriding
06-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Since I can only afford one 4-wheeled vehicle which happens to be an '09 Ford Taurus (which I love) I'd welcome any info regarding specific ways to beef up the rear suspension when I'm pulling the Spyder RT...total weight including trailer is about 1500 pounds. I'm confident that my V-6 can handle occasional towing. The tranny has a cooler although I might need an auxiliary one. The trailer will allow me to position the Spyder in such a way that I can somewhat control the tongue weight, but I'm concerned about bottoming out. Though comfortable and stable, a recent 1200 mile trip on the RT clearly illustrated that "I ain't gettin' no younger."

jwfranklin
06-12-2010, 01:31 PM
One thing ypu want to consider, you want to have at least 10% of your trailer weight on the tongue, in your case 150 lb. Personally in my experience a little more makes the trailer handle better. I agree your V6 should be able to handle the weight, but I beleive Ford says a 1000# max tow weight, with 100# max tongue weight, I wouldn't go over this, and personally like to keep it about 80% of the max.

retired1
06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Several companies make air shocks for vehicles. I've used them in the past and they worked well. Inflate when you trailer and deflate for normal use. They weren't that expensive. Just one idea.

stillriding
06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

canam9
06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Several companies make air shocks for vehicles. I've used them in the past and they worked well. Inflate when you trailer and deflate for normal use. They weren't that expensive. Just one idea.

:agree::thumbup:

Justin
06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
You'll have no issues pulling 1500lb with the Taurus. The 1000lb is very conservative. If FORD has the exact same car in Europe it would be rated at 2500lbs. I've been pulling 2 atv with a gross weight of 2000lbs for 4 years through the mountains of Quebec with the wifes Honda Accord V6. Pulls it like a champ.

3whlLefty
06-13-2010, 12:06 PM

:agree:I used air shocks some years ago on a Pontiac Phoenix (remember those?). We had 5 people, towed a tent camper, and had all our gear. It worked just fine and should on a Taurus too.

krb1945
06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
You won't have any trouble with the v6 or the vehicle towing your spyder. Although I do all my towing with an 09 F150 I just turned in my fleet 09 Taurus for a 2010 Taurus fleet unit. These V6's have about 265 hp and as long as you don't allow the transmission to constantly shift from overdrive to the next lower gear you won't have any problems. If you do let the transmission constantly shift up and down in the hills it will overheat and fail. If in hilly country keep the tranny out of overdrive.

I think the only things I would recommend be changed are the rear shocks and tires. I would definitely replace the factory grade tires with better tires and would install heavier duty shocks. Ken krb1945

musicarcade
06-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Ken, (or any other knowledgeable Spyderlover) do you think my little Subaru WRX Sportwagon could trailer a Spyder? With all the service its been needing (only have ridden 2 months so far this year:gaah:) I've been toying w/ the idea of having a trailer. The subie is a turbocharged 4 banger I've had for camping and kayaking and its been very reliable. I don't know if a trailer would kill it or not. I've read theu can tow up to 2000 lbs. but I'd like to hear what others might think on this one...:chat:

3whlLefty
06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Ken, (or any other knowledgeable Spyderlover) do you think my little Subaru WRX Sportwagon could trailer a Spyder? With all the service its been needing (only have ridden 2 months so far this year:gaah:) I've been toying w/ the idea of having a trailer. The subie is a turbocharged 4 banger I've had for camping and kayaking and its been very reliable. I don't know if a trailer would kill it or not. I've read theu can tow up to 2000 lbs. but I'd like to hear what others might think on this one...:chat:

I haul my Spyder on an aluminum trailer. The whole load weighs in about 1100#. That should give your WRX a reasonable margin on safety unless you're getting into some pretty high altitudes. My tow vehicle is a 4.3 Chevy Blazer and it tows easily. That's my $.02 worth.

krb1945
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree your Subaru shouldn't have any trouble using a lightweight trailer. Don't lug the engine or transmission.

The good thing about a Taurus is in 09 they installed a manual paddle shift on the automatic. When towing something the size of a spyder and considering the weight of the trailer make sure you don't try to use overdrive unless you are on flat ground. Constantly shifting from 6th to 5th, Taurus transmission, will cook the transmission real quick. Someone I know cooked an explorer transmission running empty, except for four passengers, in the mountains awhile back. Tranny was constantly cycling between OD and next lower gear... smoked it in about 125 miles. The manual clearly states turn the the OD off. Ken krb1945

SpyderGirl
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
You should be able to do this. We have a 2.4L four cylinder HHR that we use to pull our RS which is about 750 - 800lbs plus 300 or so pounds for the trailer. We pulled it all the way from northern California to Arizona and back with no issues. We even got about 20 - 22 MPG for the trip.

Make sure you get the lightest trailer that your RT will fit on, that will help too.

Good luck! :2thumbs: