PDA

View Full Version : New here with questions?

Questions
06-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I do not own a Spyder yet but, have been looking seriously at them. I am a 56 year old gal who rides a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard 650. But have been thinking about either going to a Spyder or a Gold Wing Trike. I feel a lot more comfortable riding in the cruiser type stance than that of a sport type bike. So I would like some opinions on the best Spyder to look into. I also would like to ask if anyone who has rode a Gold Wing Trike and also rides the Spyder which one you truly prefer? I have never rode a Gold Wing Trike but I understand that it is very different from a Spyder and I would like to find the best fit for me. As for me I am a short 5'2" gal that would like to be able to ride safely with a group of Gold Wingers and be able to keep up or ahead, without having to stop for gas any more than they have too and do it safer than I can on my Boulevard. Thank you so much for any input, information, suggestions or advice that you care to share.

NancysToy
06-11-2010, 07:30 AM
That's a pretty tall order. I'm not sure you can fulfill all your wants. I do not have a Goldwing trike, but I have ridden them. Seating is pretty neutral, not as obviously cruiser-style as the Harley Tri-Glide, for instance. For a true cruiser-style stance, you would probably have to go aftermarket with either of your selections. In the Spyders, you would have the most mods to make to the sportier RS model. There are both highway pegs and footboards available, but the standard seating puts your feet well behind your knees, even with short legs. The RT has a more neutral seating position, but definitely not feet-forward. The Spyder spreads your legs quite a ways in that stance, making for a longer reach, so adjustable highway pegs might be best for a shorter person.

The Goldwing has the most back support in that seating position, followed by the RT. The RS has almost none, just a small bumstop. You may want an aftermarket seat and backrest for any of them, if you lean back at all. Lots of people swap seats for the comfort alone...with any bike. A seat is a very personal thing. My wife is 5'2", and she leans forward no matter what she rides, so a backrest may not be an issue for you.

Handlebars on the RS are forward, so risers or replacement bars would be a must. My wife found them essential when she went to the BRP comfort seat. Bars are pulled back on the RT and the Wing, so I expect you would be fine there.

Either Spyder has sufficient power for you to keep up with (or ahead) of a group of Goldwings, although 3-wheelers are usually kept to the rear of a group ride, for safety reasons. (Except DocDoru, who is so far ahead they can't see him sometimes. :D) The Spyder power is higher in the rpm band, so you will have to use the gears. A Goldwing is a low rpm, torque monster. Very few machines can compare. You will absolutely have to stop for gas more often. Spyder mileage won't challenge a 2-wheeler, and the gas tank size limits the range. You may rival a Goldwing trike in mileage...or at least come close, but I believe their range is also farther.

Go sit on a couple of Spyder models. See if they "fit", or what changes you would need. Take a demo ride or two. You probably won't be able to sit on a Goldwing trike, unless you happen to be near a conversion dealer, or know an owner, but you could sit on a plain Goldwing to compare. I might suggest you also try out a Tri-Glide. I don't like forward controls, but it was a comfy ride, and ther may be some deals to be had this winter.

Questions
06-11-2010, 08:10 AM
You may want to read threads here also to evaluate the Wing side:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Dragonrider
06-11-2010, 08:47 AM
I have owned a Valkyrie trike, and taken the trike training course in Hood River Oregon (Trikes & hacks). I feel this course is mandatory for trike riding.

If you think this is not necessary - take your grandchild's tricycle, push it forward, then turn the front wheel sharply (think panic turns - deer, cars, etc.). Now reverse it, and try again. I know that the rear wheels (now in front) don't turn - as the Spyder's do - but you'll see why the Spyder is the safest choice, and the only one, if you don't want to take the safety course.

Only the Triglide has been (somewhat) designed to be a trike - somewhat means that the fork rake/trail has been adjusted - but even that unit is based on a two wheeler. If you want to truly enjoy riding a trike - my opinion is that the Spyder is the only way to go.

There are lots of other pros & cons both ways, but I have taken the course, and there's a lot of "what not to dos" with the duals behind you... :chat:

COOLMACHINE
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Hello Ryder53,
Welcome to Spyderlovers. A bunch of great people here. I'm from St. Louis, MO. Whereabouts are you in Southeast MO? There are a number of us here in Missouri. I can tell you the Spyder is like nothing else I have ever ridden and I fell in love with it the first time I test rode one. What a screaming machine. I really like the stability of it and how well it corners. You may even want to consider purchasing a used one. Check out the 4sale by owner part of this forum. Some people moving up to newer models and parting with their old ones. Keep in touch with all of us and let us know what you decide. Many, many knowledgeable people in this forum. Good luck with whatever you decide. Do you plan on keeping your Boulevard?

canam9
06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
welcome

Smylinacha
06-11-2010, 03:16 PM
welcome

I can't say anything about a conventional trike since I never rode one but the Spyder is alot of fun! If you want all the bells and whistles, you'd probably want an RT over an RS. RS also has a more "sport bike" riding position unless you make some mods to it.

Geez, you got me beat with height - I am 5 feet even - every bike I've had I had to lower. I miss 2 wheels so going out tomorrow lookin. Hoping to keep the Spyder as well - use that for long hauls and use the two wheels for short rides.

I'll post a thread on a Spyder RT review in the RT section - be sure to look there. The guy who wrote this review - I know his wife. Not sure if you ever heard of "Ride Like A Pro" but this dude is cool and so is his wife - tiny little thing that can ride ANY type of bike!

I do not own a Spyder yet but, have been looking seriously at them. I am a 56 year old gal who rides a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard 650. But have been thinking about either going to a Spyder or a Gold Wing Trike. I feel a lot more comfortable riding in the cruiser type stance than that of a sport type bike. So I would like some opinions on the best Spyder to look into. I also would like to ask if anyone who has rode a Gold Wing Trike and also rides the Spyder which one you truly prefer? I have never rode a Gold Wing Trike but I understand that it is very different from a Spyder and I would like to find the best fit for me. As for me I am a short 5'2" gal that would like to be able to ride safely with a group of Gold Wingers and be able to keep up or ahead, without having to stop for gas any more than they have too and do it safer than I can on my Boulevard. Thank you so much for any input, information, suggestions or advice that you care to share.

vt228
06-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Go to a spyder dealer go for the ryde and then make your chouse a tryke well flip over with a quick turn rt or left a spyder well stay on road and rydes better and you well not be soure when you get off.I'm going to Laconia in june 12 th they are giveing free rydes on spyders try one then let us no vt 228 andwelcome to the family:yes:

Questions
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Hello Ryder53,
Welcome to Spyderlovers. A bunch of great people here. I'm from St. Louis, MO. Whereabouts are you in Southeast MO? There are a number of us here in Missouri. I can tell you the Spyder is like nothing else I have ever ridden and I fell in love with it the first time I test rode one. What a screaming machine. I really like the stability of it and how well it corners. You may even want to consider purchasing a used one. Check out the 4sale by owner part of this forum. Some people moving up to newer models and parting with their old ones. Keep in touch with all of us and let us know what you decide. Many, many knowledgeable people in this forum. Good luck with whatever you decide. Do you plan on keeping your Boulevard?

Hello COOLMACHINE!
It is something that always amazes me is the 99.9% of all bikers are great people which is one of the reasons the I love riding so much. I live about 15 miles from Cape Girardeau, MO. I will most likely sale my Boulevard because the Woozies/ I mean my loving family does not really care for me riding on 2 wheels and of course they are not riders and have no idea of the complete thrill of riding but, they have seen a lot of headlines here lately of all the risks involved in riding and all the fatalities so knowing that they are not going to stop me from riding I am trying to reach a middle ground by going to 3 wheels and so far I really love the looks of the Can Am Touring RT. I was married for 37 years to the love of my life and he passed away Dec 6,2006 due to 3 inoperable brain tumors and I think they also worry that a woman riding alone on a 2 wheeled bike especially out in the country that if I went down that there would be no one to help me, so honestly I do understand that but, I also want to continue to ride and I absolutely love riding with the GWRRA Chapter I bunch. Please feel free to keep in touch and I would love to meet up sometime and get to know you all.

Be Safe!
Spyder Ryder Wanna Be!

Questions
06-11-2010, 05:03 PM
That's a pretty tall order. I'm not sure you can fulfill all your wants. I do not have a Goldwing trike, but I have ridden them. Seating is pretty neutral, not as obviously cruiser-style as the Harley Tri-Glide, for instance. For a true cruiser-style stance, you would probably have to go aftermarket with either of your selections. In the Spyders, you would have the most mods to make to the sportier RS model. There are both highway pegs and footboards available, but the standard seating puts your feet well behind your knees, even with short legs. The RT has a more neutral seating position, but definitely not feet-forward. The Spyder spreads your legs quite a ways in that stance, making for a longer reach, so adjustable highway pegs might be best for a shorter person.

The Goldwing has the most back support in that seating position, followed by the RT. The RS has almost none, just a small bumstop. You may want an aftermarket seat and backrest for any of them, if you lean back at all. Lots of people swap seats for the comfort alone...with any bike. A seat is a very personal thing. My wife is 5'2", and she leans forward no matter what she rides, so a backrest may not be an issue for you.

Handlebars on the RS are forward, so risers or replacement bars would be a must. My wife found them essential when she went to the BRP comfort seat. Bars are pulled back on the RT and the Wing, so I expect you would be fine there.

Either Spyder has sufficient power for you to keep up with (or ahead) of a group of Goldwings, although 3-wheelers are usually kept to the rear of a group ride, for safety reasons. (Except DocDoru, who is so far ahead they can't see him sometimes. :D) The Spyder power is higher in the rpm band, so you will have to use the gears. A Goldwing is a low rpm, torque monster. Very few machines can compare. You will absolutely have to stop for gas more often. Spyder mileage won't challenge a 2-wheeler, and the gas tank size limits the range. You may rival a Goldwing trike in mileage...or at least come close, but I believe their range is also farther.

Go sit on a couple of Spyder models. See if they "fit", or what changes you would need. Take a demo ride or two. You probably won't be able to sit on a Goldwing trike, unless you happen to be near a conversion dealer, or know an owner, but you could sit on a plain Goldwing to compare. I might suggest you also try out a Tri-Glide. I don't like forward controls, but it was a comfy ride, and ther may be some deals to be had this winter.

Hello Scotty,

Tall order is right for such a short gal. You have given me a lot of food for thought. I also think that I rider leaning forward like your wife so the back rest is not a consideration but, I do like to ride with my feet forward which is very comfortable for me. I think I am going to go out and just demo ride those :spyder2: until I know for sure which one works best for me and I have a feeling it is going to be the RT Touring which I already think is a great looking ride.

Thanks so much for your time and I will keep you posted.

Belinda

Questions
06-11-2010, 08:55 PM
welcome

I can't say anything about a conventional trike since I never rode one but the Spyder is alot of fun! If you want all the bells and whistles, you'd probably want an RT over an RS. RS also has a more "sport bike" riding position unless you make some mods to it.

Geez, you got me beat with height - I am 5 feet even - every bike I've had I had to lower. I miss 2 wheels so going out tomorrow lookin. Hoping to keep the Spyder as well - use that for long hauls and use the two wheels for short rides.

I'll post a thread on a Spyder RT review in the RT section - be sure to look there. The guy who wrote this review - I know his wife. Not sure if you ever heard of "Ride Like A Pro" but this dude is cool and so is his wife - tiny little thing that can ride ANY type of bike!

Hi There!

Doesn't it just suck being short most of the time.....especially when looking for a bike and Wal-Mart? I do really like the looks of the RT. I can highly recommend a Suzuki 40S Boulevard which is a 650 and just a blast to ride and around here they are very hard to find and really being sought out by shorter guys and gals. I started out on a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 Cruiser which was just to top heavy for me and was actually starting to intimidate me a lot. This intimidation is what got me to looking for something that would help me to become more comfortable and my Suzuki 40S does the trick nicely. I have watched the "Ride Like A Pro" video several times as a matter of fact and naturally I look just like that tiny little thing riding all those bikes...........:joke:.....Lol! I appreciate you input and will keep you posted.

Thanks Again,
Belinda

Questions
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Go to a spyder dealer go for the ryde and then make your chouse a tryke well flip over with a quick turn rt or left a spyder well stay on road and rydes better and you well not be soure when you get off.I'm going to Laconia in june 12 th they are giveing free rydes on spyders try one then let us no vt 228 andwelcome to the family:yes:
What a great bunch of folks here and I can truly say I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I am going to do just that demo rides as many times as it takes to know for sure it is the right ride for me.

Thanks Too All!