PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and shining

jsteffey
06-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Anyone have any recommendatios for what to useto clean and polish the :spyder2:. So proud! I really want it to look good and stay that way:2thumbs:

NancysToy
06-10-2010, 06:55 AM
For heavy cleaning I use water (from a hose or sponge, not a pressure washer) and a mild carwash soap. For light cleaning I use Windex Multi-surface with vinegar. Never use a regular Windex or any product with ammonia on plastic! For polishing I prefer the Turtle Wax Ice products, which do not leave any white residue.

Many people have had good luck with plain old Lemon Pledge, and others swear by Plexus. BRP even sells their own cleaning kit. You are going to get a lot of different responses, depending on personal favorites. Choose any of them that others say have worked for them, and you should be OK.

spydsense
06-10-2010, 07:58 AM
For heavy cleaning I use water (from a hose or sponge, not a pressure washer) and a mild carwash soap.

For polishing I prefer the Turtle Wax Ice products, which do not leave any white residue.

I agree..... I do love the ICE spray detailer.

Pincushion
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I have been using Plexus since day one on my spyder, but it is a little expensive ($18 for the big can), I have been told time and time again by other spyder ryders that Lemon Pledge it the way to go, and MUCH cheaper ($5).....So it's on my shopping list, for when the current can of Plexus is empty.

SpyderWolf
06-10-2010, 09:25 AM
As Scotty posted, there are plenty of products available that do a really good job of cleaning the Spyder. I have used Suzuki Motorcycle Wash, Eagle One Nano Wash and Wash, and Armor All Car Wash with good results. I also use Original Bike Spirits, and Eagle One Nano Wax. I just recently tried the Pledge Multisurface, comes in a blue can, and it works very well for cleaning and polishing without water as well. I have heard many good things about the ICE products, and actually use the leather/vinyl cleaner on my seat, so I will probably give those a try in the future as well. :D

scudrunner
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been using my boat wash on mine with a soft cloth. Just about any mild soap will do, even Joy. The trick to washing is to use plenty of water. If your bucket water turns brown, you've got a lot of dirty particles in it that can scratch the surface.

bone crusher
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
This is always a fun topic as everyone uses something different.

A great product is Geoff Bodine's (Hammerhead) Waxing Frenzy...it uses the highest grade carnuba...melting temp 1200 degrees, vs. 135 for the stuff in other products...a lot of the NASCAR guys use this and it's also used a lot with boats, so you know it's great to guard against corrosive elements.

They have a spray wax that is totally awesome...that is what I use on the Spyder...vinyl cleaner second to none as well...

boborgera
06-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I used to use Pig Snot, But i lent [gave] my last bottle away.
Now i just use Plexus. I would like to try Lemon Pledge, But i
can't see me driving a bike that smells like a wood coffee table.:yikes:
Then there's the Bee's, hate Bees, Bees and Bikes don't go
good together:yikes:

BeRight
06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I use Next Dimension (previously sold as Honda) Spray cleaner & polish. I use it on glass, plastic, paint, chrome, seat-most everywhere. Works well to clean road grime, grease, and bugs.

scudrunner
06-10-2010, 03:26 PM
can't see me driving a bike that smells like a wood coffee table.
Hmm, I don't use lemon pledge to polish MY wood.
:shemademe_smilie:

I use Liquid Gold!;)

COOLMACHINE
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I use AMWAY car polish.

Gordy
06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I use mister clean car wash kit, sponge to wash and then hose off with the mister clean sprayer, dont have to polish or chamois and no spotting:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
06-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I use whatever car wash is in the garage and then I spray it with Pledge. And I use Lexan cleaner to clean the windshield. Oh yeah, also my swiffers that jeuchler gave me for an occasional dusting when washing isn't necessary! :)

Anyone have any recommendatios for what to useto clean and polish the :spyder2:. So proud! I really want it to look good and stay that way:2thumbs:

GeminiJane
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
90% of the time, I just need to "spiff" up the shine and get the bugs and road grime off without doing a full bucket, hose and soap wash so I reach for the Meguiar's Spot Clean bottle. (I just buy it at Wal-mart in the car care department.) My husband used to build and show pro-streeted cars and he used that to put the final detailing on the cars when we arrived at the show. Spray it on, wipe off with soft cloth or towel and it's like magic - bugs, road grime, tar, etc. just wipe right off. Not expensive, one bottle lasts a long time and easy to use!