PDA

View Full Version : So Here's Where We Stand

NancysToy
06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Time for an update, I guess. I got my RTS back from the dealer last week Friday. Since I have owned it, it has been in the shop three times, for a total of about 11 weeks. I am not too thrilled about the way the dealer handled this last problem. They did what BRP authorized, but did not follow the prescribed procedures in the shop manual. I am not sure why. One thing is for certain, there can be a lot lost between me telling the service manager the symptoms, him typing it into the computer for the tech, the tech telling him what to tell BRP, BRP's reply, and finally the service manager relating the approved fix back to the tech. Sometimes this chain is short-cut, but at every step it loses something in the translation. Especially difficult if there is no trouble code to go by. A friendlier system would help a lot of us...as would a US parts warehouse, to avoid parts ordering and customs delays. Overnight shipping should mean receipt the next day...not the next week or two

I have only had a chance to do 100 miles or less to test everything that was done, this time and the last. I won't cover every issue, or go into gory detail, but here is my take on things:

1. The madly bouncing fuel gauge, which was lighted only intermittently, was replaced with the newest design. It works very well, and is much more accurate, to boot. :thumbup:

2. The panels with flawed paint were replaced with good ones. :thumbup:

3. The Spyder has not fouled a plug, and runs way better than before. The new ignition and ECM have doubled the power, quite literally, and have allowed me to go up a gear, riding in much the same rpm range as Nancy's GS. Much smoother, too! :thumbup:

4. The faulty taillight assembly was replaced. :thumbup:

5. The revised belt tension makes things much smoother. I can now take the typical 1/4 turn in the middle of the belt...the old "seat-of-the-pants" belt test. I do not know the final setting on the BRP gauge. The Krickit shows a mere 130 lbs when the Spyder is not jacked up. :thumbup:

6. The unpredictable handling, squirming, darting, and speed wobble are gone. The Spyder is fairly well behaved in the wind and behind trucks, although there is still some influence. I wish the steering was a little slower and less sensitive, but I can live with this. The cure was adjustment of the steering sensors (not the after-alignment reset) and a small toe-in adjustment. The dealer didn't think he accomplished much, but the difference is night and day! Tire pressure doesn't seem to matter much now, but a little lower than what I run on the GS seems to be best if it is hot outside. I do recommend keeping the rear suspension set at the appropriate level, as described in the Operators Guide. Too high (stiff) and the steering becomes quicker, with a resulting squirminess. I would like to see BRP increase the caster on this model to compensate if the suspension is set too high. This would also slow the steering, which would not hurt. I also recommend setting the front shocks higher than recommended. Tentative :thumbup:

7. The long cranking on warm restarts is being worked on by BRP. Their work-around of cracking the throttle slightly, seems to help in this situation. My long cranking when cold was resolved by the new ignition. :D

8. The low oil pressure light for 30 minutes after the oil change was never explained. The remnant P0524 code and resulting limp mode is being worked on by BRP. It should reset. The work-around is to run the engine at around 3,000 rpm for 15 seconds until it does reset. Not comforting, but it works for now. Not advisable if the oil pressure light remains on. :(

At this point, BRP wants me to ride the machine and monitor what happens. Since they have fixed the ignition and handling issues, this can be done. It will take me some time to feel comfortable with this machine's reliability again, as you can well imagine, but I am willing to give it a try. I am not sure if I am ready to spend money on accessories for my RTS yet, or even bother to install the trailer hitch, but hopefully that time will come. This is a lot like starting over, so it will take me some time to overcome my skepticism.

I do applaud BRP for their concern, assistance, and kindness during this ordeal. I also applaud their willingness to respond to what they have seen by making adjustments in design and procedures, partly as a result of what they learned from my Spyder. With a machine this complex, final proof always comes after the machines are on the road. A good manufacturer learns and responds, long after the first production machine leaves the factory. While I would have preferred not to have become an inadvertent Guinea Pig, I am happy that progress on the model continues. I think BRP listens well.

So, it is time to try to work in some riding, and to try to build some confidence. See ya on the road!

effgjamis
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Great write up.. thanks Scotty.

SpyderWolf
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Best of luck with everything Scotty. I am glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you.

frank3
06-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Glad things are much better for you Scotty. Always look forward to reading your VERY informative posts.

Wheeler~
06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice detailed analysis. Glad things are better and hope you find you're happy with your RT. Keep us posted on your situation as time goes by. It's good to know BRP responded well to your problems. They took care of my problems also and they did it without any pain to me. Hopefully everybody will be able to say that from now on!

bodymanpainter
06-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I wish you the best of luck and hope all issues are taken care of! Also that no new ones show up!! Please keep us posted.:2thumbs:

IWN2RYD
06-10-2010, 09:11 AM
I wish you the best of luck and hope all issues are taken care of! Also that no new ones show up!! Please keep us posted.:2thumbs:
+1 :agree:

DynamoBT
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Hope it's clear sailing from here on in!!!

BRPjunkie
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
So now you may be able to say that you are a happy owner of a "Factory Reconditioned" Spyder RT-S? :dontknow:

JimAlpha
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Good news. You have to feel better now. Great overview! Thanks and enjoy the RTS.

chris56
06-10-2010, 11:30 AM
hi scotty .. i`m lucky to got absolut no problems on my first 3000mls with the RT-Se ,,my wife said she feels like a princess - no more problems with her knees also on 6hours tours... we got what we wanted - when i changed from the GS (13.000 mls) .. but
spoke with some guys there about my problems..
cannot find a way to adjust my shoks (or steering ?) to drive over "our" alps - its swinging ..or springing .. the front shoks are maybe ok but need much stronger "springs" - (hardest oin the moment) - the back-shock makes a loud "klonk" ..and the back wheel is sliding in the curves/maybe its not in the exact parallel position (something stinks like rubber) ..
so - do you think a steering adjustment could help ?
maybe its possible to use the shorter (?) swingarms of the GS on the front
.. they said a RT will never be an RS .. but i`ll work on that
greetings from austria

widowmaker2011
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
........ - the back-shock makes a loud "klonk" ..and the back wheel is sliding in the curves/maybe its not in the exact parallel position (something stinks like rubber) ..
so - do you think a steering adjustment could help ?
maybe its possible to use the shorter (?) swingarms of the GS on the front
.. they said a RT will never be an RS .. but i`ll work on that
greetings from austria

There are 2 known issues with the back suspension, one relates to a fitting that allows air to bleed out of the air assist bag and the other (which sounds like your description) is a faulty rear shock itself. The internals of the shock fail , thus providing NO rebound dampening, the machine will bounce like a pogo stick and make a noticeable clank when it reaches the top of its suspension stroke. Can be easily diagnosed in your garage. Ensure you air setting is on low and grab the rear passenger handles and shove down hard- if the shock is working correctly , the RT will return up slowly with a quiet thud when it returns to the top of its stroke, if the shock is bad it will merely pop right back up and make a clank. Its is an easy warranty fix if it is bad. :2thumbs:

Smylinacha
06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Glad you are back out there rydin!

Roaddog2
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Glad you are back out there rydin!
:agree::doorag: Hope it stays that way fore you Scotty.
Sounds like they finale got it nice and tight fore you :thumbup:

NancysToy
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
:agree::doorag: Hope it stays that way fore you Scotty.
Sounds like they finale got it nice and tight fore you :thumbup:
Thanks (to all) for the good wishes. There are still issues, but they can be lived with for a while. I do not want this thing to languish at the dealers for any longer right now...it has been there half its young life! I'd like to get the hitch on soon, and put on some miles pulling the Aspen Sentry camper, but my remodeling job and our vintage bike show have taken precidence...and Mid-Ohio is coming up soon, after the AHRMA races. Oh, did I mention I bought #25...a Harley Sprint (Aermachhi). I know I swore off, but technically, with my RTS in the shop, I stayed at 24 as I promised...for a while. :roflblack:

How's the Tri-Glide treating you?