PDA

View Full Version : penske shocks sent back in

SethO
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
well after 10k of "easy" miles I had a high speed tank slap issues. SO after 10 minutes of hold time I got a tech sending them in and it should be about a week to rebuild.

One shock was leaking fluid and they said they would take care of it, I did not take pictures but I wish I would have.

Just in case some of you have not used aftermarket shocks on your spyder. I put the old ones back on and they are HORRIBLE, seriously I can not believe how much of a difference there is.

Pogo
06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Just in case some of you have not used aftermarket shocks on your spyder. I put the old ones back on and they are HORRIBLE, seriously I can not believe how much of a difference there is.

Interesting comment, SethO. When I replaced the rear shock on my Spyder with an Ikon, Geoff suggested that I should replace the fronts, and said that they had a pair ready if I wanted them. I declined for lack of money (a common ailment).

Lately I have had the front pre-load jacked up to max, and it has improved the handling, at the expense of some discomfort on rough surfaces, so I'm considering a stiffer sway bar (less money than a pair of front shocks).

If your leaking Penske's are way better than the standard shocks, then they must be magic when they aren't leaking.

Did you have man miles on your original front shocks?

Cheers;

Pogo.

SethO
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Interesting comment, SethO. When I replaced the rear shock on my Spyder with an Ikon, Geoff suggested that I should replace the fronts, and said that they had a pair ready if I wanted them. I declined for lack of money (a common ailment).

Lately I have had the front pre-load jacked up to max, and it has improved the handling, at the expense of some discomfort on rough surfaces, so I'm considering a stiffer sway bar (less money than a pair of front shocks).

If your leaking Penske's are way better than the standard shocks, then they must be magic when they aren't leaking.

Cheers;

Pogo.

I had about 15k on them and I bought them because the VSS was tripping because of the tank slap. This was issue with one of them wearing faster than the other and had them maxed out in the setting for the last 4k before I replace them and they are maxed out now, you can see the tire bounce all over the place.

Yes the are night and day difference with the penske I had the step below FULL race shocks which I was advised against if you ride on the street at all but I would have liked to have tried them. they aske the weight of you and the stuff on your bike and make the shocks for that.

Firefly
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM

Cheers;

Pogo.

Might want to consider putting RT shocks on your fronts---- they work really great and can be done for $230 for a set.

SethO
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Might want to consider putting RT shocks on your fronts---- they work really great and can be done for $230 for a set.

Jim had talked about this as well I would like to put some thru the paces, I mean they would not be as good as a elka or penske set but it was close it would be the worth the drop in quality for the cost, my 2 front penske's cost me 1328.26 shipped.

06-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I have front and rear Penskes and Ken's swaybar on 2333, and it a totally different bike with them on. The safety nanny stays away now almost all of the time. Almost. The ride is quite a bit stiffer with this setup, however. Not a bad thing for me, I will gladly trade some comfort for some handling. Folks interested in a plush ride, however, should be aware. IMHO.

SethO
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I have front and rear Penskes and Ken's swaybar on 2333, and it a totally different bike with them on. The safety nanny stays away now almost all of the time. Almost. The ride is quite a bit stiffer with this setup, however. Not a bad thing for me, I will gladly trade some comfort for some handling. Folks interested in a plush ride, however, should be aware. IMHO.

they are stiffer and a NIGHT AND DAY difference at high speeds, at over 100mph on the speedo today it would tank slap all over and going into a bumpy corner they go nuts, I can not believe I rode the stocks for 12k, the are the suck.

SethO
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Just got off the phone with penske about my shocks I got, they made sure what I needed done on these shocks I got in sept, then asked me for my CC info and $115 for yearly maintance. "They are a race shock sir" ****.The most highest cost item on the spyder just got higher.

Damn it, if I would have known there was going to be a 115 yearly cost I would be running elkas right now.

So unless your rich or you have a hard on for penske I would make sure you KNOW they are like this before you buy them.

I am not sure elka would hold up better to my use but I would like to know so if anyone wants to trade the fronts at chicago I will only have at most 1000 miles on the penskes that are going to be setup on hard semi race.

Post here.

docdoru
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I have Elka's since Spyder was at 20K. But also I'm “babying” the bike...:joke: :roflblack:

SethO
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I have Elka's since Spyder was at 20K. But also I'm “babying” the bike...:joke: :roflblack:

right, well if you want to step up and try the penskes I would like to see the ride difference, we are about the same weight so my shocks should work for you.

SethO
06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
just got the penskes back, they test them when they get them and when they send them out, have some crazy chart with #'s on it and stuff, will post pics soon.

Lamonster
06-18-2010, 03:21 PM
right, well if you want to step up and try the penskes I would like to see the ride difference, we are about the same weight so my shocks should work for you.
I'm not sure if I would call that stepping up, stepping up the out of pocket cost maybe. I know Smokester in CA had to have his rebuilt too. :gaah:

SethO
06-19-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure if I would call that stepping up, stepping up the out of pocket cost maybe. I know Smokester in CA had to have his rebuilt too. :gaah:

I would not tell people if you are worried about money to order these and I want to see the difference so if I can switch out with some elkas and get a different riders opinion of these that would be great.

I mean I would love to run with a company that is onboard with this board,

After riding today I can said they are about perfect for my weight and riding style, I went into a 45mph posted left hander and exited at 109mph on the speedo which in itself is not too hard to do but the crazy thing is that the TCS did not engage until the the left tire slowed its speed down because it was about an inch off the road, NOT suspension lift OFF the road.

These things are amazing compared to stock I would LOVE to say that the elkas could do the same because of their support of the site and the cost and when/if I get a set to test on the same road I would give people direct feedback on the difference.

After chicago I will do a video of the stock shocks up to 109mph with the tank slap and slow rebound and the penskes on the rebuild, wish I would thought about the video idea before I sent them in.

Here are the pics of the shocks, the sheet they sent me showing me the before and after which I could use some input on reading and the DRAG slick I ordered for the turbo and the other tires for the summer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+Drag+Radial&partnum=25R5GFTADR&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes