PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Safety Class

moabgirl
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
We live in Nevada where the legislation has not yet caught up with the technology. We have received 2 differing opinions from the State DMV: 1) the Spyder is a trike; therefore, one does not need a motorcycle license. 2) The Spyder is a motorcycle and one needs a motorcyle endorsement. We decided we would err on the side of caution and we spent Fri, Sat and Sun at cycle school...in 108 degree heat......

My husband and I have both ridden on 2 wheels before. Somewhere over the last 20 yrs, the "M" fell off my license (through various moves across different states) and I just never bothered renewing it because I was no longer riding.

I received full and complete confirmation from the Universe this weekend that I have, indeed, made the right decision with the Spyder. We really "brushed up" on our knowledge and skills and everyone in the class passed. We were the only Spyder ryders and we had to complete the course on the school's 2-wheelers. I feel we are now safer ryders for having taken this course. It's always easy to become a little complacent on the road and this course was a good reminder. The impairments-to-accident ratio in Nevada alone was enough to scare one ****less; what a wake-up call. We don't drink, and don't judge those who do, but it was sobering (no pun intended).

The bottom line from this rambling post: when in doubt, take the safety course. It's well worth the expense.

Bless all who ryde.

canam9
06-07-2010, 02:20 PM
The bottom line from this rambling post: when in doubt, take the safety course. It's well worth the expense.

Bless all who ryde.[/QUOTE]
:agree:AMEN Always take the class!

Magic Man
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
:agree:

MM

Roger
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I wish they made it mandatory here in NY!!! jmo

pjp623
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I was in a very similar situation in Vermont, and bottom line is that I'm glad that I took the course! :2thumbs:

Sny
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I wish they had a motorcycle safety course for cagers

Teach them important skills like:

Riders are people too :doorag:
How to start seeing motorcycles! :trike:
How to put down the cafemochafrappadeathbombwhatzits and drive the darn vehicle! :chill:

Seriously tho, anyone who's taken a driving safety course knows they don't teach you much about anything. There shouldn't be such a quality difference between a motorcycle safety class and an automobile class. A course for automobiles that put you behind the wheel to practice scanning and avoidance techniques would go a long ways towards making our lives safer. It might make those 8 hour classes a little less boring and they're a lot more likely to learn something hands on.

Right now classes like that are private and expensive. I think to keep riders safe we need to educate cagers just as much. Maybe MSF should get into teaching some auto safety classes and...

:crackpipe:

Sny
06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
oh, didn't mean to totally derail the thread;

Take an MSF class! Even if you've been riding for years you'll still learn a lot.

mrk2ejk
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I am taking the course in August....then purchasing the Spyder....can't wait.:D

IWN2RYD
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Great times for all at those IMO... Here is our thoughts on it... (Link) (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20076)

Really a good, stress free (in other words they did not put to much on us, our problem if we failed) educational and worth it for sure :2thumbs::doorag::clap::f_spider::agree:

dlittle
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
One of the things I like about the Spyder vs every other vehicle I've ever owned. It comes with a DVD that covers quite a bit of this -- general handling, swerves, etc. I don't think I've seen it included with any other bike or car.

Dennis

qasamm
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I recently also did a 2 wheel course to get my M added to my license in MD. It was a great experience and I picked up quite a few bits of insight to help when riding my Spyder. I wish they offered a 3 wheeler course but nothing as of yet.

The instructors were interested in why I was taking the class since they felt it would not apply but when the class was over I told them they were wrong. Yes, counter steering and dual braking is stuff I won't use but man it was fun!

sandrunr1
06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
OK. Maybe we didn't learn much on the :spyder2: in the safety class but learn we did. We learned that if you sit and ride a bike that is too small for you, you will look like a Shriner at a parade. We learned how to sit and wait. I learned that the speed limit signs are white and is the Law and the yellow ones where there are speed signs on them are suggested speed limits. But most of all, I learned I love my wife Moabgirl very much as I did this class in 108 temp and the asphalt temp was in the 130 range. Man my feet were hot. By the way, the ruling finally came down from the Government in Nevada. If vehicle is driven by one wheel, it is a motorcycle. :shemademe_smilie:

dlittle
06-08-2010, 07:29 PM
By the way, the ruling finally came down from the Government in Nevada. If vehicle is driven by one wheel, it is a motorcycle. :shemademe_smilie:

Then they better get ready to give out LOTS of motorcycle endorsements. Most cars (at least with rear wheel drive) have a single wheel driven. Those that have 2-wheel-drive us something like positrak in the name.

IWN2RYD
06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Then they better get ready to give out LOTS of motorcycle endorsements. Most cars (at least with rear wheel drive) have a single wheel driven. Those that have 2-wheel-drive us something like positrak in the name.
:agree:

My thoughts exactly. I hope the wording was spelled out better inside the law!

"Officer" Do you have posi track or a locker in the rear-end? "Car owner" No, it is limited slip. "Officer" We need to impound your motorcycle for an incorrectly registered vehicle. :cus::roflblack::dontknow::hun::popcorn:

bone crusher
06-08-2010, 09:56 PM
No classes in MD...not configured for 3 wheelers!

Florida Rev
06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
It sort of reminds me of the old days when you had to take your drivers test on a car with a manual transmission.

I can see a lawyer making a challenge to the laws in states where you need an endorsement to drive a spyder but can't use one for the test.

NancysToy
06-09-2010, 07:18 AM
No classes in MD...not configured for 3 wheelers!
MI is supposed to have developed a three-wheeled endorsement test, by law. They have not done so, and have contracted out license testing to private firms. We could not find a local testing firm that would do a three-wheeled test, so the only remaining option for Nancy to get her endorsement was to take an MSF course. No classes for three-wheelers, either, so she bit the bullet and did it on two. It was a great confidence builder, and both she and I are glad she was forced to go that route.

Even if you riders that are new to the Spyder take a class, be sure to set up and practice the skills course in your Operators Guide. Easy to do in a large parking lot with some soccer cones or half tennis balls. A few days of parking lot practice will do wonders on preparing you for the road...especially for unexpected events. We both still practice some avoidance maneuvers, stopping, and weaving skills in parking lots periodically. Never hurts to keep your skills sharp.

Buttercup
06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I totally agree! Its not required to have a moto license for 3-wheels here in CA either, but I took the safety course anyway for three reasons:
1) My bank sees the Spyder as a motorcycle and therefore, won't give me a better loan without that "M" on my license
2) I still ride behind my hubby on his Indian Chief at times, and if we ever are alone and end up remote, I'd like to know how to get us out of a jam if he hurts his wrist, etc., as friends of ours recently experienced!
3) I am the only Spyder rider I know right now, and I ride with motorcyclists, so I wanted to know what the two-wheeled riders know so I'd be pleasant to ride with - and always be invited to play. ;)

It was a great class...and it also made me appreciate even more how much I LOVE my Spyder!:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
06-09-2010, 05:43 PM
3) I am the only Spyder rider I know right now, and I ride with motorcyclists, so I wanted to know what the two-wheeled riders know so I'd be pleasant to ride with - and always be invited to play. ;)

That one statement says a whole lot about a very good reason to take one of the safety courses. :thumbup: Your other reasons were good as well. :)