PDA

View Full Version : Outta gas! MPG for our RS & RT

VaughnCat
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Last Saturday we took the RT and RS for a ryde through the Smith River Canyon to Crescent City. It was the first time I'd done the ryde with the KewlMetal risers. Wow! Was it fun! :2thumbs:

We gassed up in Hiouchi, California, and the station there has that awkward 'elephant nose' vapor guard on their gas nozzles making it nearly impossible to get it to the gas opening on the Spyder.:gaah: Matter of fact, I couldn't get any gas to go into the RS until I manually pulled back the vapor guard..... so I fought with it and got in as much gas as I could and called it good.

We continued on our ryde down the coast through the redwoods. . . . sunshine, perfect temp! it was awesome!:ohyea:

When we started to head back, we did a quick calculation and thought we had enough gas to make it back home . . . but the RS didn't. At 158.5 miles, and less than one mile from the station, the RS ran dry. :yikes:
Vaughn stayed behind with the RS while I took the RT on in to the station, borrowed and filled up a 5 gallon gas can. Thankfully, one of the locals who was going that direction offered and put the gas can in the back of his pickup and followed me back to the RS.

We got most of the 5 gallons into the RS (what didn't slosh all over the side). Back at the station, the RS would only hold another .762 gallon, making the fill up from bone dry less than 6 gallons of usable fuel.

So, now we know how much it holds.... and we probably won't do that again :pray:

For the record, here's our stats to date:

RS @ 1,100+ miles :spyder2:
average 29.7
last fillup 27.0 (when it ran dry)
best fillup 38.3

RT @ 5,500+ miles :ani29:
average 28.5 mpg
last fillup 31.9 mpg
best fillup 36.7 pmg

The more miles . . . the more smiles . . . the more we love our Spyders!!!
:yes::clap::yes::clap::yes:
Cat

IWN2RYD
06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Glad to read you ran into some nice people!

How was the ride??? Spill the beans... :chat:

VaughnCat
06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
How was the ride??? Spill the beans... :chat:

Oh, it was okay, i guess..... actually, it was without doubt the most fun I've ever had (okay, i've only had my license for a month or so!) . . . . . but the KewlMetal risers on the RS made a world of difference! and the RS handles like a dream.

We traded off, and if I had to make a choice on which I liked best, the RT or RS, I don't think I could chose. Each is its own unique ryde and both are equally as much fun to drive . . in their own way.

:D Can ya see me smilin'?????:ohyea:
Cat

canam9
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Sounds like a good time, even running out of gas make for more good times to talk about.:chat: :D