PDA

View Full Version : Maybe 2 wheels again for me....

Smylinacha
06-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Thinking about it. Researching it. I just miss the "lean factor". I fell in love with the Sporster Forty-Eight - perfect for someone my size. I loved my Deluxe but it was a big bike for me even though I rode it all over the East Coast. There is a Forty Eight down at our local HD dealer. It's a good price 10K - not expensive. I'd have to add some saddlebags, a windshield and a luggage rack but other than that, everything would remain stock on it. Wish I could keep my Spyder too - it's been trouble free since the new DPS but I can't afford both. So if anyone is interested in an '08 but I'm going to try and trade it in - they know my Spyder well over there at HD. Going to contact our friend who is a sales guy there tomorrow. He's ridden my Spyder and loves it. But I really miss the 2 wheel experience. So we'll see - not pulling the trigger tomorrow but starting to research it.

dryheat
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Why not a plan "B"?? That's what I did so I could keep the Spyder (Had the same feelings about 2 wheels). Pick up a used 2-wheeler for 3-4000. I snapped up a '00 R1150GS, but there are bunches of used bikes out there that might fit the bill.

Smylinacha
06-06-2010, 06:50 PM
The Forty-Eight is the one for me. So I can't find that at a used price.

boborgera
06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Thinking about it. Researching it. I just miss the "lean factor". I fell in love with the Sporster Forty-Eight - perfect for someone my size. I loved my Deluxe but it was a big bike for me even though I rode it all over the East Coast. There is a Forty Eight down at our local HD dealer. It's a good price 10K - not expensive. I'd have to add some saddlebags, a windshield and a luggage rack but other than that, everything would remain stock on it. Wish I could keep my Spyder too - it's been trouble free since the new DPS but I can't afford both. So if anyone is interested in an '08 but I'm going to try and trade it in - they know my Spyder well over there at HD. Going to contact our friend who is a sales guy there tomorrow. He's ridden my Spyder and loves it. But I really miss the 2 wheel experience. So we'll see - not pulling the trigger tomorrow but starting to research it.

The 48 is a great bike but it has the peanut tank, you'll be stopping for gas every 90 miles.:yikes: I guess you can make it thru Rhode Island on one tank?:roflblack:

vtrider
06-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Gee Kim, thats surprising news! Good luck in whatever you decide. I know this guy that had a spyder in my area who is handicaped with a bad hip and legs ( Injured while on military duty in Irac). He traded for a Suzuki Hayabusa. So your not the first to want to jump back on two wheels. Myself, in some ways I do miss my Honda ST1300, but I've had a couple close calls from people cutting me off or someone trying to run me over, that I just wasn't feeling safe on two wheels anymore. Part of that was because I did get in a wreck with my Honda Interceptor. A driver in a car cut out in front of me and the bike was a total loss. I came out of it with just a badly spranged thumb, but never really gained confidence on two wheels since that episode. The spyder has given me that comfort level and I've enjoyed it so far.

boborgera
06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I'd put the 3.3 gal tank on it for her. Same shape, just a little bigger. With fuel mileage in the 50's, a 150 mile range would be plenty for the way we ride these days.......

:2thumbs: :thumbup:

jeuchler
06-06-2010, 07:43 PM
... I fell in love with the Sporster Forty-Eight - perfect for someone my size...

Niiiice! :thumbup:

(Of course, the red & black is good, too, Kim!)

http://www.motodesign.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Harley-Davidson-Sportster-2010-Forty-Eight_1-587x391.jpg

Roaddog2
06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Thinking about it. Researching it. I just miss the "lean factor". I fell in love with the Sporster Forty-Eight - perfect for someone my size. I loved my Deluxe but it was a big bike for me even though I rode it all over the East Coast. There is a Forty Eight down at our local HD dealer. It's a good price 10K - not expensive. I'd have to add some saddlebags, a windshield and a luggage rack but other than that, everything would remain stock on it. Wish I could keep my Spyder too - it's been trouble free since the new DPS but I can't afford both. So if anyone is interested in an '08 but I'm going to try and trade it in - they know my Spyder well over there at HD. Going to contact our friend who is a sales guy there tomorrow. He's ridden my Spyder and loves it. But I really miss the 2 wheel experience. So we'll see - not pulling the trigger tomorrow but starting to research it.You Go Girl :2thumbs: Test ride first make sure you like it.

jeuchler
06-06-2010, 07:48 PM
...So if anyone is interested in an '08...Spyder...

Well, Kim, my daughter just made an offer on your Spyder.

It's too low for you to accept, but now you can honestly tell other folks "Well, I do have someone else who's interested..."

Good luck with your decision(s)!

jeuchler
06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=10202

...The passenger seat seems a bit firm and narrow, Lou...

SpyderByter
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Happy Hunting Kim :2thumbs:

Smylinacha
06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
We'd change the tank.

The 48 is a great bike but it has the peanut tank, you'll be stopping for gas every 90 miles.:yikes: I guess you can make it thru Rhode Island on one tank?:roflblack:

rnet
06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
...The passenger seat seems a bit firm and narrow, Lou...John if you turn it upside down, it could be a banana hammock. Lou, what do you think. Good luck Kim on whatever you do.

Smylinacha
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I gotta make some calls, see what the numbers look like, gotta sit on it again. So it's not a done deal. Just the beginnings of researching. But, I do have all my accessories picked out though :2thumbs: Nothing chrome, no doo-dads but I will need bolt on bags and mini apes - black. And a black fender rack, a windshield. I like the bike for someone my size. Smaller than my Deluxe but I think I'd rather have smaller and lighter. And they have after market fairings w/ stereos. Now if they could only shrink a Roadglide - then I'd be all over that!

Smylinacha
06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah I like that color too!

Niiiice! :thumbup:

(Of course, the red & black is good, too, Kim!)

http://www.motodesign.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Harley-Davidson-Sportster-2010-Forty-Eight_1-587x391.jpg

ThreeWheels
06-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Good luck to you. It's a shame we haven't even met yet.

Still, I promise not to be too snobbish. If both of you are on two wheels, we can still ride together...............:D

3tracs
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Never been a big Harley fan, but that is a good looking bike! Love the fat tires!

Sorry to lose a Spyder owner, hope you stick around the boards... I've enjoyed reading your posts.

Harry

Magic Man
06-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Sweet! :doorag:

MM

opticat
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
The Forty-Eight is a great looking bike. It attracted a lot of attention at the H-D exhibit during Daytona Bike Week. I also missed the lean factor and traded my Spyder for a new H-D Fatboy Low. Love it!

But I still lurk around this site as there are a LOT of great folks here!

tatt2r
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
one of the guys that works here just bought one nice looking bike..:2thumbs:

tatt2r
06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
and there cool unless you are 6'6" tall 300lbs cop
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/tatt2r/cop.jpg

Smylinacha
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I love your mohawk helmet!

The Forty-Eight is a great looking bike. It attracted a lot of attention at the H-D exhibit during Daytona Bike Week. I also missed the lean factor and traded my Spyder for a new H-D Fatboy Low. Love it!

But I still lurk around this site as there are a LOT of great folks here!

Smylinacha
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Well I have the sales manager at the HD dealer (where Roaddog got his) working on some #s for me - we shall see. Didn't mention the Spyder trade just yet. Then I'll let HDX hammer him with pricing.

Smylinacha
06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

and there cool unless you are 6'6" tall 300lbs cop
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/tatt2r/cop.jpg

WaltH
06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I understand how you feel. I too miss the lean factor. I tell my friends that the Spyder is 85 percent as much fun to ride as a Harley. For the first year of Spyder riding I had both the Spyder and a Fat Boy. I used the Spyder for touring and the Harley for cruising. At first, I could not accept the thought of cruising on a "trike". Now it seem normal. If I were a little bit younger I would still have both motorcycles.

Maybe HDXBones would be willing to trade his Harley in on a new Forty-Eight. This way you could chose which one you wanted to ride on a particular day and he could take the other one. You would have the best of both worlds.:2thumbs:

Bersquack
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I bought an Iron 883 last year and love it. When I saw the 48 I wish I had waited a little longer.

but I agree the peanut tank needs to go.

COOLMACHINE
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Yep, nothin wrong with 2 wheels and a nice looking machine too boot. Unfortunately I have learned my spyder is not a daily driver. Broken down going on 3-months now. My plans are to pick up a used bike in the near future so the next time the spyder is broke down for 3 months, i am at least out enjoying the nice weather on something. I'll keep my ears open for anyone looking for a used spyder for you. Jerry

Smylinacha
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I think the Spyder is just as fun to ryde, but in a different way. If I were rich, I'd keep it and just add another bike to the family but that is not in the cards now. Are you kidding me - HDX give up the Roadglide? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! He'd kill me first.

I understand how you feel. I too miss the lean factor. I tell my friends that the Spyder is 85 percent as much fun to ride as a Harley. For the first year of Spyder riding I had both the Spyder and a Fat Boy. I used the Spyder for touring and the Harley for cruising. At first, I could not accept the thought of cruising on a "trike". Now it seem normal. If I were a little bit younger I would still have both motorcycles.

Maybe HDXBones would be willing to trade his Harley in on a new Forty-Eight. This way you could chose which one you wanted to ride on a particular day and he could take the other one. You would have the best of both worlds.:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah that won't get me very far. PITA gassing up. So we'll order a bigger tank for it.

I bought an Iron 883 last year and love it. When I saw the 48 I wish I had waited a little longer.

but I agree the peanut tank needs to go.

Smylinacha
06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Good idea to have the best of both worlds - two and three wheels! Wish I could do that but not just yet. Who knows, maybe someday they'll come out with a "mini RT" and I'll get that and keep 2 wheels .... maybe by then I could afford two bikes.

Yep, nothin wrong with 2 wheels and a nice looking machine too boot. Unfortunately I have learned my spyder is not a daily driver. Broken down going on 3-months now. My plans are to pick up a used bike in the near future so the next time the spyder is broke down for 3 months, i am at least out enjoying the nice weather on something. I'll keep my ears open for anyone looking for a used spyder for you. Jerry

Lowflyingowl
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I understand the need for the lean, also. Put my Spyder up here in claissifieds, then had second thoughts - I've got way too much invested in it and way more mileage than most folks would think was appropriate.

So I'm going to pick up a used sport bike to fling around the twisties. I doubt if I'll ever go back to a cruiser. A couple grand should satisfy the cravings, I hope!

And really, for long distances in all kinds of weather, I haven't found anything better than the Spyder yet.

Cliff-Co.
06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Thinking about it. Researching it. I just miss the "lean factor". I fell in love with the Sporster Forty-Eight - perfect for someone my size. I loved my Deluxe but it was a big bike for me even though I rode it all over the East Coast. There is a Forty Eight down at our local HD dealer. It's a good price 10K - not expensive. I'd have to add some saddlebags, a windshield and a luggage rack but other than that, everything would remain stock on it. Wish I could keep my Spyder too - it's been trouble free since the new DPS but I can't afford both. So if anyone is interested in an '08 but I'm going to try and trade it in - they know my Spyder well over there at HD. Going to contact our friend who is a sales guy there tomorrow. He's ridden my Spyder and loves it. But I really miss the 2 wheel experience. So we'll see - not pulling the trigger tomorrow but starting to research it. try out the Harley vrscd nite rod, better balanced,no vibration,twice the horsepower, than the sportster, I got both, & perfer the rod.:ohyea:

NancysToy
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I think I must lean all the time. My wife has said for years that I'm half a bubble off. :joke:

Way2Fast
06-08-2010, 01:34 PM
A 2 wheel bike takes the curves like poetry in motion. The Spyder takes them like a fat lady trying to run an obstacle course. As far as safety goes...I feel safer on a 2 wheel bike that takes up about 1/2 as much road space as the trike. Much easier to avoid hitting whatever gets "in the way".

dlittle
06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
A 2 wheel bike takes the curves like poetry in motion. The Spyder takes them like a fat lady trying to run an obstacle course. As far as safety goes...I feel safer on a 2 wheel bike that takes up about 1/2 as much road space as the trike. Much easier to avoid hitting whatever gets "in the way".

That depends on the weather. I'm MUCH more comfortable having 3 wheels on the road when I get stuck in the rain -- and NM has a monsoon season where it can flood in a matter of minutes. 7210

As much fun as 2 wheels is when it's dry, I like the security of 3 in bad weather and am willing to take the performance hit.

Dennis

Firefly
06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

We realize you sold your Spyder, but please understand most of us out here have not and still like them very much - and consider them anything but a 'fat lady on an obstacle course'.

Certainly the Spyder won't corner the same as a 2-wheeler, especially the rocket-bikes, but it does corner better than a conventional trike and can hold up pretty good against many 2-wheelers. I had no problems keeping up with the HD guys on the dragon. With wet road conditions the tables just may be turned in the Spyders favor.

You may feel safer on 2-wheels, but most of us feel safer on 3. Perhaps you can avoid obstacles better on 2 wheels, but the larger footprint of the Spyder is easier for cagers to see, and we don't have the concern of the bike slipping out from under us on gravel or wet road conditions. Then the other well-known safety systems on the Spyder also come into play which put it in a class by itself for bike safety (in my opinion).

Many out here have moved on to other 2-wheeled bikes and are still active out here and have a respect and interest in the Spyder.

ataDude
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey, I agree with you... for once. :D

While I love my two-wheelers, I'm waiting for the day that BRP gets it together (in my opinion and my opinion, alone) and puts out a reliable three-wheeler that I will be comfortable with.

I'd be first in line. I miss it... except for the attempted-murder-in-the-Ozarks stuff. :(

We realize you sold your Spyder, but please understand most of us out here have not and still like them very much - and consider them anything but a 'fat lady on an obstacle course'.

Certainly the Spyder won't corner the same as a 2-wheeler, especially the rocket-bikes, but it does corner better than a conventional trike and can hold up pretty good against many 2-wheelers. I had no problems keeping up with the HD guys on the dragon. With wet road conditions the tables just may be turned in the Spyders favor.

You may feel safer on 2-wheels, but most of us feel safer on 3. Perhaps you can avoid obstacles better on 2 wheels, but the larger footprint of the Spyder is easier for cagers to see, and we don't have the concern of the bike slipping out from under us on gravel or wet road conditions. Then the other well-known safety systems on the Spyder also come into play which put it in a class by itself for bike safety (in my opinion).

Many out here have moved on to other 2-wheeled bikes and are still active out here and have a respect and interest in the Spyder.

vtrider
06-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Good idea to have the best of both worlds - two and three wheels! Wish I could do that but not just yet. Who knows, maybe someday they'll come out with a "mini RT" and I'll get that and keep 2 wheels .... maybe by then I could afford two bikes.

That almighty $$$ does make it easier to support our need to enjoy what we want in life doesn't it? I'm sure you will enjoy the new HD if you do get it. You and HDX will have to come up to northern Vermont to show it off. There is this bar and grill not far from where I live that is called " Harley D's" This place is kind of neat with a harley theme on the inside. The food there is great! Many bikers stop there, but you don't have to own a harley. They will cator to everyone. I go there once in while myself with the spyder and stop in for a cold beer every now and then.

Smylinacha
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Not getting this bike that I looked at. I just posted another thread about it. I will have two wheels again but not just yet. And who knows - maybe I can keep the Spyder still - would be nice to keep it and get something else.

So I'll be coming up to Harley D's on the Spyder - we were thinking about going up for the Killington Classic in September. We'll buy you a brew when we get up there. Hopefully we can take a trip up your way before September though!

That almighty $$$ does make it easier to support our need to enjoy what we want in life doesn't it? I'm sure you will enjoy the new HD if you do get it. You and HDX will have to come up to northern Vermont to show it off. There is this bar and grill not far from where I live that is called " Harley D's" This place is kind of neat with a harley theme on the inside. The food there is great! Many bikers stop there, but you don't have to own a harley. They will cator to everyone. I go there once in while myself with the spyder and stop in for a cold beer every now and then.

dltang
06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Kim, sorry to hear you aren't getting your bike. I was going to tell you, I like the black. I understand the desire for two wheels. I hope you are able to achieve your riding happiness in the near future. It sure would be nice if you found a way to keep the spyder too though. They are just two entirely different animals and I wish everyone would stop comparing them and just appreciate each mode of transportation for what it is.

Smylinacha
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
No biggie - wasn't meant to be - that means something else is in store down the road. :2thumbs: It is a very cool looking bike but too many mods for me to get it right and to me if you have to spend stupid money to get something right, then I won't do it.

I'm hoping to keep working O.T. and put that money towards something used -that way I can have both!

Kim, sorry to hear you aren't getting your bike. I was going to tell you, I like the black. I understand the desire for two wheels. I hope you are able to achieve your riding happiness in the near future. It sure would be nice if you found a way to keep the spyder too though. They are just two entirely different animals and I wish everyone would stop comparing them and just appreciate each mode of transportation for what it is.

vtrider
06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Not getting this bike that I looked at. I just posted another thread about it. I will have two wheels again but not just yet. And who knows - maybe I can keep the Spyder still - would be nice to keep it and get something else.

So I'll be coming up to Harley D's on the Spyder - we were thinking about going up for the Killington Classic in September. We'll buy you a brew when we get up there. Hopefully we can take a trip up your way before September though!

Time is somtimes your best bargain. I have so much invested in my spyder with all the addons, that I could never get back what I put into it should I ever decide to trade or sell it. My plan is to just keep it and enjoy it. If I ever do want something else, I may just pass it down to my son who will be old enough to drive it by that time.

The Killington Classic sounds like a good time. I will be heading up today in that area with my spyder and stay over night at the Red Roof Inn. I will be going on a ride with rnet and some of the other spyderlovers on a covered bridge tour in in southern Vermont on Thursday. I wish you and HDX could of joined us for the tour. We will be leaving from a place called Sally's Hen House in Hudson falls New York at 8:30 am.

Smylinacha
06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Wish we could too but he's working this weekend and my best friend just had a baby boy (first child for her) about 1/2 hour ago so I plan on playing "auntie" this weekend :2thumbs:

Hen House huh? HDX probably wouldn't like that - he comes home to a major hen house between me and his mother LOL! He goes to work for peace and quiet :yikes:! Just kidding - he loves riding up there - we both do!

Time is somtimes your best bargain. I have so much invested in my spyder with all the addons, that I could never get back what I put into it should I ever decide to trade or sell it. My plan is to just keep it and enjoy it. If I ever do want something else, I may just pass it down to my son who will be old enough to drive it by that time.

The Killington Classic sounds like a good time. I will be heading up today in that area with my spyder and stay over night at the Red Roof Inn. I will be going on a ride with rnet and some of the other spyderlovers on a covered bridge tour in in southern Vermont on Thursday. I wish you and HDX could of joined us for the tour. We will be leaving from a place called Sally's Hen House in Hudson falls New York at 8:30 am.

aubierules
06-09-2010, 02:45 PM
That depends on the weather. I'm MUCH more comfortable having 3 wheels on the road when I get stuck in the rain -- and NM has a monsoon season where it can flood in a matter of minutes. 7210

As much fun as 2 wheels is when it's dry, I like the security of 3 in bad weather and am willing to take the performance hit.

Dennis
:agree: