PDA

View Full Version : Concern or not???

Barbary
06-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Ok this may sound like a dumb question... But being one who's never owned a bike or roadster before last week i've got to ask...

Today I'm out riding and had to downshift rather quickly and break... I noticed that I could downshift without pulling in the clutch...
then i decided to test something... i was able to shift up or down gears without using the clutch...

Is this normal?? or is it something to be concerned about??? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

dan

ataDude
06-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Ok this may sound like a dumb question... But being one who's never owned a bike or roadster before last week i've got to ask...

Today I'm out riding and had to downshift rather quickly and break... I noticed that I could downshift without pulling in the clutch...
then i decided to test something... i was able to shift up or down gears without using the clutch...

Is this normal?? or is it something to be concerned about??? :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

dan

It is quite doable... however, it's not recommended... particularly on the downshifts! Excessive clutchless shifting may/will cause some potentially expensive wear and tear on your transmission.

Lamonster
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
You can do that with just about any bike if the rpm's are right. We do that on dirtbikes all the time.

scudrunner
06-06-2010, 02:26 PM
And cars too. Speed matching the engine to the transmission, the gears line up nicely. Up-shifting is pretty easy, down shifting takes a little work to make it right. Otherwise, grind a pound for me too.

Barbary
06-06-2010, 02:27 PM
thanx all... wasn't sure if that was normal...

i know i'm a noob... but a noob that is now having a blast... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:2thumbs::2thumbs:

musicarcade
06-06-2010, 02:40 PM
thanx all... wasn't sure if that was normal...

i know i'm a noob... but a noob that is now having a blast... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:2thumbs::2thumbs:

welcomenoob!:D
:congrats: on your :spyder2:

bodymanpainter
06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
:2thumbs:welcome:congrats: Like the color, my wife's is yellow also, for now any way.

canam9
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
You can do that with just about any bike if the rpm's are right. We do that on dirtbikes all the time.

:agree:welcome:congrats: