PDA

View Full Version : What is the green liquid leaking....

Questions
06-05-2010, 06:53 AM
My baby seems to be leaking some green liquid, I found a small pool of it under the bike, kinda more towards the front.... What could it be? :dontknow:

DeeKay53
06-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Sounds like engine coolant to me. :yikes:

Chezeburger
06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
:agree:

retired1
06-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I agree, possibly a loose coolant system clamp.

Sopher
06-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Spyder blood. not venom.

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

happyspyder2039
06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Must of Came with Illegal Aliens when shipped from canada.Trying to Escape!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Just Kidding. Sounds like a loose hose Clamp!

NancysToy
06-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Check for a loose cap (only tightened to first notch). It should be on the second notch, or it will leak under pressure. Check the hose clamps to see they are not dripping. You can check tightness if they are the worm screw type. If all looks OK, you may have a cracked coolant tank. Common problem. Your dealer should be able to take care of you. In the meantime, watch your coolant level and temperature gauge.

Questions
06-05-2010, 11:43 AM
After checking oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant, it seems that everything is fine, EXCEPT that I couldnt determine the coolant level.

I topped it up with water, something we normally use in cars and quads etc here, I hope that is okay?

NancysToy
06-05-2010, 11:51 AM
After checking oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant, it seems that everything is fine, EXCEPT that I couldnt determine the coolant level.

I topped it up with water, something we normally use in cars and quads etc here, I hope that is okay?
If you shine a light behind the coolant tank, you should be able to see the coolant level. You should never use plain water in your cooling system. A 50:50 mixture of an aluminum compatible ethylene glycol antifreeze and distilled water is the proper coolant. See your Owners Guide for details.

Questions
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
:sour:
Hope my top up doesnt do any harm, we will see in the morning if more has leaked out...

Jornie1
06-05-2010, 12:00 PM
The RT Service Manual:
The cooling system must be filled with
distilled water and antifreeze solution
(50%distilled water, 50% antifreeze).
For best performance, use the BRP
PREMIXED COOLANT (P/N 219 700
362).

Questions
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM

The bike has been standing for about 5 hours now, and I dont see any sign of a leak... I just wonder if its leaking slowly and because its mostly water now its just evaporating.... :dontknow:

fastfraser
06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
On mine the overflow tube dumps out onto the belly pan and when the tank gets over filled it leeks out there and depending on the angle the :spyder2: is parked some will leek out the holes in the belly pan. Just be aware that when you overfill it , thats where it will leek out .

:agree: with what Scotty says.( cracked tank, loose clamp, cap loose. )

boborgera
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM

The bike has been standing for about 5 hours now, and I dont see any sign of a leak... I just wonder if its leaking slowly and because its mostly water now its just evaporating.... :dontknow:

:spyder:
Check the Right side behind the radiator you'll see a water hose with a screw clamp with out removing any panels tighten it with a screwdriver. It's been the cause of an intermittent coolant leak On a few Spyders.
[mine included]

NancysToy
06-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Lots of times they don't leak until they are hot, and under pressure. You will see the spilled coolant after a ride, but not necessarily after the vehicle just sits.

namknight
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
sounds to me like a purging of coolant. cars will do the same thing. Check your level. if it is down, purchase a gallon good antifreeze, pour half into a clean container then mix 50/50 with water. put it in up to the line. But then again what the hell do I know??

vt228
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
:agree:
Sounds like engine coolant to me. :yikes:

:lecturef_smilie: its spyder blood coolent check the top clamp and bottom clamp could be lose mine was when I got mine its comen they don't check the when they put together ..

:spyder:( We don't leak ):spyder:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:

Questions
06-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Sadly this morning I noticed some more coolant on the floor :(

I will check the clamps and stuff, and get the dealer to do the same when she goes in for her first service, just under 100 miles to go.

Thanks folks :thumbup:

canam9
06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Check for a loose cap (only tightened to first notch). It should be on the second notch, or it will leak under pressure. Check the hose clamps to see they are not dripping. You can check tightness if they are the worm screw type. If all looks OK, you may have a cracked coolant tank. Common problem. Your dealer should be able to take care of you. In the meantime, watch your coolant level and temperature gauge.

Another common problem?:gaah:

Mickay
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
:spyder:
Check the Right side behind the radiator you'll see a water hose with a screw clamp with out removing any panels tighten it with a screwdriver. It's been the cause of an intermittent coolant leak On a few Spyders.
[mine included]

Yes it`s easy to fix it`s happen to my 559. and i tighten the clamp with a screwdriver i turn it 6 time. it was loose , now everything is ok

Questions
06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
It seems to have stopped now... maybe it was just purging... :dontknow:

krb1945
06-12-2010, 01:27 PM
It's a good idea to change the Oteiker clamps to the worm screw type. The factory clamps have a tendency to loosen at the most inopportune time. A while back I returned from a short ride to the smell of hot coolant. Now most of our clamps have now been changed. Just waiting on a ride rainy day to finish them up. Ken krb1945